Your rights and Raytheon II

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Mike in McMurdo wrote

Well Penelope
    I’d say from the tones that you really hated this place. Too bad.
    There are thousands of people who come to work here. And as the saying goes you can’t make all of the people happy all of the time. My guess is you had a lot of good times while you were here. Almost everyone does. As one of my good friends puts it. McMurdo has one of the most eclectic groups of people that you will ever find in one place. There is something for everyone.
    Some never come back, some come back almost their whole life. It sounds like you would never come back again. My hope is that like many who feel as you do now, you’ll return to corporate life back in the states, and realize that life at MCM wasn’t as bad as you once thought. Hopefully you’ll be back here again soon.
    Mike in McMurdo

Well Mike, I’m back in the states, and I’ve come to realize that I was right about my feelings about Raytheon. Life back in the states is GREAT! Better pay, and a more respectful environment.

The fact that the initial “Your rights and Raytheon” thread is locked is one more indicator that Raytheon acts like an oppressive dictator and tries to censor the opinions entered on this board.

Back in November, most of us voted through Raytheon. Actions like deleting and locking posts that contain negative opinions of Raytheon make me wonder if our votes (88% for Kerry) were really sent back to the states.

FYI King Penguin, that’s not a personal attack, that’s my (and many others) personal opinion. Just because people don’t say it to you doesn’t mean that its not the way we feel.

I’m writng this for two reasons. First, I think people who are thinking about employment with Raytheon need to understand what they are getting themselves into. Secondly, I hope that Raytheon and the National Science Foundation will read these posts and make some badly needed changes to the program.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

penelope
    Sounds like you are happy where you are at. I was wondering if we knew each other during your time on the ice. I’m Mike, long time supply person.

Anonymous

The big business is conspiring to hold you down? That’s great! Personally, I don’t care, the pay I’m getting is more than I could have dreamed of and I don’t have to pay living expenses. I would have really liked to work for Halliburton, but that didn’t work out, so I’m going to the South Pole. In any case, you sure sound like an exception rather than the norm, I’m sorry you hated it so much, but at this point I don’t think much can really diminish my spirits. I’ll be in McMurdo on the 17th (weather permitting) and in pole shortly there after where I will remain for a year as a busy worker bee.

Raytheon to me seems like exactly what I would expect from any big company with a government contract, and even if at this point something happens and I don’t go to pole, I’ve still learned a lot and had a good experience working TDY in the office. At 21 I’ll admit that I haven’t been around long enough to see much, but I do know that if I went through life with the idea that people are constantly trying to hold me back that I could just keep making excuses my whole life for my short comings. Yeah, I’m young, ignorant and enthusiastic; I think that’s perfect Raytheon material. I’ve come here not knowing what to expect, with a clean slate, an open mind and a willingness to learn, I hope that’s enough to get me through the year. It’s good to read other opinions though, I’ve learned one critical thing from your post and that is not to talk politics with 88% of the people in Antarctica.
    -Nate

Anonymous

Wow, you’re only 21? Are most people who get hired older than you? I have no clue as to the average age down there. I’m 20 and really want to go, but I need to finish my degree first. Good luck and safe travels!

Anonymous

Diana – I had the same question a while back and got good answers from Bill and King Penguin here.

Anonymous

Yep, I did fire training with a guy younger than me. Omar the ox, if any of you get to meet him, he’s a great guy. Also adam the carpenter is only 23 I think and his first time down he was 20.

Diana, I was lucky enough to score this job right out of college. I graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering and well, I’m just so awesome that they had to take me. Or is that gullible, I’m sorry what thread is this? haha.
    -Nate

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Good for you Nate. There’s good stuff and bad, you get choose what you look at and what direction to go.
    I think the average age here is in the thirties, but there are plenty of 20 year olds to 50 and 60 year olds.
    Mike

skua77
    Keymaster

Hey, whatever thread this is… 🙂 Earlier in the winter I found the yearbook from 1957–the first winter at Pole the 18 men ranged in age from 21 to 48. Paul Siple was the 48-year-old, the next oldest was 36. There were 6 people 23 or younger, and the average age was about 26.

I don’t know what all our ages were in 1977, but the youngest guy then was 21 and we averaged around 30. This year I think the youngest person is 20, I’m 56 and I’m not the oldest.

Sooo, it would seem that if anything, the average age down here increased when the Navy went away, and it has continued to increase. And the change is probably more extreme in McMurdo. Pole was small enough in the old days that the Navy had experienced senior petty officers down here, older than your average 4-year enlistee. McMurdo had a larger proportion of younger men.

Oh yes, I said “men.” That’s something that didn’t change until the 70’s…

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Yeah, so the average age is getting higher because those young Navy whippersnappers left and us old farts are sticking around longer?

A bunch of years back a friend lamented that he might turn 40 on the Ice. I scolded him and said, I don’t even want to think about that. I was, uh, 38 at the time? The day after tomorrow I’ll turn 44. Oy!

Is there life off the Ice? I wouldn’t know…
    :mrgreen:

Anonymous

Hey, my birthday’s the 17th too, only I’m turning 21 this time around 🙂 Unfortunately I’ll not be on the ice until the 3rd…

Been There

Glen,

Does the crew at Palmer know about you upcoming birthday? Want me to make sure they know? 🙂

thepooles98
    Keymaster

“Upcoming birthday” When is it?
    I know a friend currently on the boat and about to leave for Palmer.
    Too late for a gift, but maybe could be the start of a stationwide something.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

It’s tomorrow (17th). And they already know…

The cook wanted to know what I wanted for dinner. Mexican it is. I was going to buy a case of Coronas for the station to go with it, but my girlfriend said no way, buck-o, she’ll take care of that. My kind of woman!

I’ve been told I should start celebrating tonight, as it will be my last chance while I’m still 43. Urk. I think I’ll wait. 😉

skua77
    Keymaster

Glenn,
    Sounds like you’re all set for the big day…

Since it’s already the 17th over here I’ll go ahead and wish you a happy birthday…I think I even have some Corona left to drink to your health…

We’re having a 60s/70s party tonight with live music–guess I’ll be one of the few folks that will remember when the songs came out 8)

Anonymous

I was also 21 and fresh out of college when I arrived on ice. Straight into a McMurdo Winfly from a school of 75% females. Now I am 27 and love people watching during Winfly.

In response to Penelope’s comments…
    Antarctica tends to be one of those love it or hate it places. I used to work in a department that completely mistreated the employees and had no respect for those who did return. And you know what I did? I got a job in a better department. I believe in making situations better instead of running away. I am so glad that I didn’t give up. This is a wonderful place if you give it a chance.

As for the conspiracy theory surrounding the last election…Blame the electoral system. All our votes are only a suggestion, electors can vote any way they see fit. My state had an elector who got confused and voted for John Edwards instead of John Kerry. If you really want to make a difference try and get the elections laws changed so that it is based off of popular vote and not electors. (For historical reference, Nixon didn’t win the popular vote, but took he electoral college in a landslide.)

In the immortal words of Forrest Gump…
    “That’s all I have to say about that.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘Employment’ is closed to new topics and replies.