You have a contract. Now what do you do?

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics You have a contract. Now what do you do?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    coastycook

Just wanted to make sure…
    i was reading through the participant guide about mailing stuff….and it says that anything sent before Labor Day will be returned and from what info i gathered on here and through NANA said to send now……I have sent off some things already about 2 weeks ago….anyone????

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I never had anything returned. It may help to put your season on the package. I always did. Winfly, Mainbody etc.
    I’m about to send some of my stuff off soon for mainbody.
    Mike

coastycook

When going to Denver before heading out to LA,  does everyone leave around the same time with the flights to LA and on to NZ or is everyone on a different schedule…just curious if there are groups that travel together throughout the trip? 
    Thanks
    Kristina

Zondra

Kristina,

You’ll all be traveling together.  There might be a difference of two different flights (ie: some people go LAX-SDY-CHC, and others go LAX-AUK-CHC), but for the most part you’ll be together.  This is one of my favorite times for meeting new people & getting to know new friends.  By the time you’re checking into your hotel in CHC, it’ll be like you’re old friends with everyone, as you’ve just gone through a travel marathon together & are all equally jet-lagged.

If you can make friends with some (or at least one) non FNG’s, that will help.  My first year, there was this group of us FNG’s who stuck together, but we made one friend who had been down there before.  She showed us the easiest way between airport gates, and then around Christchurch.  On my second year I was the experienced one showing around a group of FNG’s.  I’m still friends with people in both of those travel groups (in fact, I met my boyfriend at LAX 4 years ago, when he was a FNG & I was going down for the second time… we’re still together, and love to tell people that we met in LA, just to see their reaction)

It looks like they’re doing the Denver orientation again this year?  If that’s the case, you’ll have already met people in Denver, and when you leave together (they’ll bus everyone over in one group from orientation to the airport), you’ll already be in your travel mob of Ice-people.

I’m jealous… I wish I was headed back.  But James & I are happy with our new life back here in the real world.  We’re planning on getting a dog, so we can’t really abandon him and head south.  But I still miss Antarctica!
    Zondra

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Hey Z,

I know how you feel. I’m taking a year off to regain my sanity (ha!) and renew a relationship, but part of me wishes I was going back.

Once the Ice gets in your blood…

glenn

Been_There

What could you talking about?  I have no idea 

BT

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Like Zondra said. Find someone who has been through the program before and stick with them through all the flights. It’s not really that hard to do, but it can be nerve racking trying to get from the domestic terminals to the international terminals in LA and Aukland. There should be a pretty hefty mix of old and new in Denver, so you should start making friends right away.
    Mike

Yea, Glen I know how you feel. I had a contract to go again this Summer but health conditions with my wife caused me to back out. Should be an interesting season.

doublezout49

new question:

packing for my trip down sept. 26, and wondered about some of the cw clothing they issue.

was thinking of also packing my own coldweather bib/coat, fleece pants/coat, windstop etc. is this overkill?

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Could be. However, if you wear the issued items, you will look like 1000 other people wearing the same thing. Wearing something different is invigorating for some people. Me, I just look like everyone else.

If you are an active outdoors person, you may enjoy clothing more suited for you. The issued bunny boots are horrible to hike in. Often, people will send down really nice boots and such. I wouldn’t hand carry much of anything. Send it in the mail. It should get there by November or earlier. (once in a while christmas). Thats about the time the weather warms enough to go out and spend your day off outside all day long.
    Mike

Marshak2

hi Z, Susan, Mike and everyone else (Atlas),

I, too, am very sad I’m not coming down this season. I had a job & was pq’d, but decided on other plans which will place me in Hawaii & Jackson Hole this season, hopefully have so much fun I won’t miss you guys so darned much! The Ice is my home, so I will come back…

love to you all 😉

Marsha

doublezout49

thanks Mike-

Matt

will
    Keymaster

Hi, Marsha!

How’s my former roomie doing?? Hawaii & Jackson Hole, eh? That sounds like fun – hope it’s a blast & that all is well. 🙂

Erica

thepooles98
    Keymaster

We’ll miss you for sure. Another Black Island trip would have been nice, Hey?

See you next year.
    M

will
    Keymaster

Hey Mike, I’m lurking here and it looks like you will be down for the 08 – 09 season. I leave in two weeks and a day for McM back in the computer shop. Looks like I will see you soon.

– A. T.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.