You have a contract. Now what do you do?

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics You have a contract. Now what do you do?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    thepooles98
    Keymaster

kristina
    Having your hubby meet you in Cheech should be  very easy. You are under no obligation to leave NZ when you get off the ice. If you are staying more than 14 days, though, you will need a visa extension, which is relatively automatic.

Bear in mind that if the weather turns bad, you can be delayed up to a week or more leaving MCM at the end of the contract. He may be sitting there using up his vacation waiting on you. I would make sure that you plan on being in Cheech for a week before he gets there unless he has unlimited vacation time available. You can store all your backpacking stuff at the CDC. As Beenthere stated, it’s all in the program guide.
    M

coastycook

So I haven’t gotten any travel info on when I leave for this summer, only that it will be sometime after Sept 25th…. but as I am still being informed by HR from Nana that they are still waiting on some things to give anyone a date, I was wondering as to when I should start packing some things to send down before I go, in the mail….how early should I send things or should I wait til I get my flight and travel info?
    Kristina 

Hello Kristina,

SHIP NOW!    Always good to give them PLENTY of time to get your boxes to McMurdo.  I’m filling mine today – and will ship out tomorrow. Am taking 1/2 the amount of things this time.  One thing I learned  – was to give about 2 months if shipping in a box, or 2 weeks if stuffed into a bubble wrap type ENVELOPE.

Do remember you have to fill out a customs form for each box.  So make a list as you go of what is INSIDE!  I also included a copy of that list inside the box – and had a copy with me at home so I could refer to it when doubting if I packed “it” or not!  
    Fun times ahead!!!
    Jo

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Kristina
    When you ship your items.  Address the outside of the box as normal,but also put another copy of the addresses packed at the top inside the box in case it becomes a lost box and they have to open it. I’ve had the labels ripped off before and only received the label.

Been_There

And just in case you didn’t know, the Government of New Zealand inspects all US Mail going south, they do not consider it U.S. mail.  As far as they are concerned it is cargo and they inspect it all, including a drug dog.  Take a minute to look at the USAP Personnel Manual and review what you can and can not send via mail.  You don’t want to do something stupid.  Not that you would, of course.  
    BT

coastycook

Just curious as to what is in the dorms, not the rooms, but the building…..microwave…..refridgerator…is there a commons area or is it just the rooms and bathrooms….?

coastycook

From what i have read there is 2 to a room…….how is the housing/roommates determined…..job, seniority….? When I was on the CG Icebreaker we had anywhere from 6 to 20 in a berthing space…so 2 or even three to a room sound pretty nice! Just curious…..I will be a baker and this will be my first trip….just curious what i can expect? Bunkbeds…..beds w/ desk under….bathroom attached……? Also are rooms standard or are things pretty open to move around stuff within the room?
    Thanks.
    Kristina

Hello new BAKER!!!
    Nice to meet you.  Housing.  I will speak from my experience of living in 155. There, it is 4 to a room.  Mine happened to be one large square room with a window – if you’re on the outside of the building. Bunkbeds are provided – and we all had them seperated into our own little 1/4’s of the room. (about the size of a bathtub!  We used our “wardrobes/closets” as dividers and have one “side table/ pull out drawer thing that if the bed was high enough – would slide under it. We had a tv provided – and one of the gals had a dvd/vcr player. One desk that all shared – and telephone. There were other rooms in different configurations. Space appears to have been made around anything – when it came to designing the rooms. Some of the people brought down sheets to hang ‘around their space’ for privacy.  The people across from us chose to have bunkbed area…. and ‘living room’. You work with your roommates to select how you want to live!  There was a large common’s area  with tv and lots of oversized (but broken down) chairs to sit and watch movies together – or play pool.   I do know there are a few rooms that are little groups – like 4 bedrooms joined to one common living room.  In 155 – the bathrooms are DOWN THE HALL. There is a small amount of space to leave a few items in the NON PRIVATE bath areas – be prepared to carry soap/shampoo/towels with you each time. Remember flip flops – as the mats you stand on in the shower areas are tough on feet!

There isn’t a lot of room for “homey”… but it sure is nice if you can bring a couple of  LITTLE items that make you happy. I took a ‘throw’ that I had on my sofa – so there was always a visual touch of home on my bed.  This year – I won’t bring as many extras – simply because I didn’t like having to pack and ship it all back!

Hopefully someone with other dorm experience will answer your 2 to a room questions!

coastycook

thanks for the info….

MightyAtlas

‘Employment of 15 days or more in a  money may be counted as one whole month.’

Roxannie.  Really – does that make any sense?

Guess it’s your time to be Freudian. 

MightyAtlas

Oh…BUCKS.  For a second there, I read it as something else.

My bad.

Been_There

Murphy was born in Antarctica but it looks like he has been visiting someone else for a change.  
    BT

MightyAtlas

Yeah, the NSF…

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

“Sam says there will be cheese.”

Well that about sums up whole USAP, doesn’t it? I couldn’t have said it any better.
    😉

MightyAtlas

‘On the first day, the NSF created the USAP, and it was good…’

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.