Working @ South Pole Station?

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics Working @ South Pole Station?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jpan18
    Participant

Hello everyone! Recently stumbled across this GOLDMINE of information and so thankful to everyone who’s shared their knowledge.

A little about me…

I’m 28 and currently work in TV production in LA. I have been fascinated with the Antarctic continent since my early teens and am now starting my journey to fulfilling that desire to live/work “on the ice”! Since very little of my production/camerawork skills are transferable to what’s needed in Antarctica, I am hoping to join the kitchen (prep cook) or steward (janitorial) staff at South Pole Station.

I’m a complete newbie in my journey to finding employment on the ice, so I have a few questions that I couldn’t find the exact answers to in my research so far. Forgive my naïveté.

1) I’m a Canadian citizen and a Green Card holder (permanent resident) in the US. I believe South Pole Station is a US-owned station, does that mean only US citizens are eligible for employment? I currently work in the US with my Green Card. I am in the early process of getting US citizenship, but I’m not sure how long it will take for the process to be complete.

2) Are there specific months that are known to be the “hiring season” for employment? I read Bill’s blog at http://www.southpolestation.com/trivia/wo.html and noticed the ratio of new employees to veterans are very low and I imagine the competition for those new slots are very high. Any word of advice from the vets as to what the employers are looking for in the service positions (kitchen/janitorial) to help me stand above the crowd?

Thanks for reading!!
    Jaden

jpan18
    Participant

Hi Sciencetech,

Thanks for your response! I didn’t realize the attachments would just pop up like that! I should amend that….

I appreciate your thoughtfulness in reading over the resume. I think due to the uniqueness of job opportunities in Antarctica, I should deviate a little from the standard resume format and condense my production experience into one section and other experience into another while highlighting accomplishments in each. Perhaps a logline in the beginning citing my objectives would help too.

Lots to think about! Thanks again for the feedback!

Mradyfist

Oh, your camera and production experience is definitely applicable to South Pole, just maybe not for a job. If you deploy this season let me know, so I can hunt you down and make you the person responsible for providing community support during SPIFF season (South Pole International Film Festival).

Pretty sure you don’t need to be a US citizen, just legal to work in the US, so your green card should suit you just fine. Hiring season is now-ish, but things are all screwy with South Pole because we still have no idea what our population will be like for the upcoming season; if you want to try for this season go for it, but be prepared to get no information for extended periods of time. Personally I expect to see a lot of new faces at South Pole this year because of all the churn from the contract change.

jpan18
    Participant

Mradyfist – you don’t even KNOW how much encouragement your words are! Thank you!

I had no idea there was a film fest at the South Pole. That’s the coolest thing I’ve ever heard (pun totally and cheesily intended)! I didn’t know the film fest OR community support existed, but I think I’ve found my dream job. As you mentioned, I highly doubt I’ll be accepted this year, but no harm in putting my name in the hat, right?

So fantastic to know that there is a blend of science and art at the bottom of the world!

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Under the old contractor, Mcmurdo also had a film festival. If you are doing more than one job, taylor a resume for both if the system allows. PAE has all the mechanical and supply type jobs. The galley and janitorial will be another company. It would help if you have been a cook or janitor before. Nobody wants a cook who can’t cook at production levels and make it taste good. Good luck it’s been a crazy hiring season this year. With a new contract, nobody really knows what to expect.

jpan18
    Participant

Thanks, thepooles98! So far, I’ve noticed that Ganayoo is has the janitorial/galley listings. But there doesn’t seem to be a hiring date or application closing date. It just has a link to submit your application. That’s why I wanted to know if there was a hiring “window”. I wouldn’t want to submit my resume now just to have it be at the bottom of the bunch in 6 months. I only have limited cooking experience, but I’m a damn good prepper…I can chop like no one’s business!

Thanks for the encouragement!

MATKATAMIBA

Apply NOW. In fact you might be too late for the summer season (October-January at Pole). These jobs are very competitive and I think it is always best to be the first to apply when they are posted, no matter what the job.

jpan18
    Participant

Thanks, Matkatamiba!

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I agree you should apply now. You may be too late, but in the past as the season draws near, traditionally there is a last minute scramble to hire. People often drop at the last minute or don’t pass the PQ exams.

jpan18
    Participant

Thanks, thepooles98! That’s actually really good to know.

I don’t think I’m prepared to apply for this season yet. I would need to find renters for my house and long term care for my dog, not to mention leaving my current job. But it’s a good thing that there might be a last minute scramble so if by some miracle ALL of those things pan out, then I MIGHT be able to slide in.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all your feedback!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.