Will my camera be worthless at Pole station?

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics Will my camera be worthless at Pole station?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    MATKATAMIBA

it will be fine, particularly in the summer. Just keep it warm in an inside coat pocket.

Cool, thanks 😉

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

I’d pick up a spare rechargeable battery. Keep that in your parka pocket too.

When the first one gets cold and dies, you can swap them out.

equant

I don’t see why it’d matter if the digital camera works, but would a small digital movie camera work? Not one with a tape, all solid-state.

Thanks

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Your cameras will work fine. The batteries will die very fast at cold temps, so carry lots of extras with you. One problem you might find is that when you bring your cold camera into a warm moist building, water can condense on the inside. You can solve the problem by placing the camera in a sealed baggie before you come indoors and allowing it to warm up without exposure to humid air.

MATKATAMIBA

if you’re coming for the winter (McM or Pole) get a camera that does well in low light. For summer almost any digital camera will work fine. Digital video cameras work fine whether the video is a function of a still camera or dedicated video. If you are buying a camera to bring, read the reviews and get one that has good battery life.

skua77
    Keymaster

Well, since you already have it, too late to change out. Looks good, my preferences would have been for one that takes AA batteries, so much more versatile, so make sure you have an extra battery pack.

And don’t drop it, open and lens down in the -60°F ice tunnel, as I did with my Canon in winter 2008.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

South Pole will always find new and interesting ways to make things fail.

The flash on my Nikon N70S shorted out in the ice tunnels, probably due to condensation. Zap!

Go there expecting your camera to bite the snow-dust. If it works all season, consider it a bonus.
    :mrgreen:

MATKATAMIBA

A good tip to make it last in this environment. Always let it warm up for a couple of hours after you bring it inside before you start pushing buttons and transferring pictures. It is tempting to get them downloaded fast, but the cameras a really stressed by being manipulated when they are cold.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.