Whiteout

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Sciencetech
    Keymaster

“This is the first murder in Antarctica.”

Hey, wait. Didn’t the Russians beat us to that, with an axe murder over a game of chess?

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Glenn and I did a lot of work helping the original screenplay writer with little details of life on the ice. Unfortunatley he was taken of the movie and it was given to someone else. I was really looking forward to the movie. I’ve seen the trailer. It looks reasonably realistic. Reminded me of a good winter time condition one storm.

DedEye

@Sciencetech wrote:

“This is the first murder in Antarctica.”

Hey, wait. Didn’t the Russians beat us to that, with an axe murder over a game of chess?

What were the details of that one?

The trailer looked surprisingly good, despite the lack of Kurt Russell and flamethrowers.

Neutron

If anyone is interested, IMDB (internet movie data base) has a long list of folks involved in the various task elements of production. You can see the “who’s who” here:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365929/fullcredits#writers

I want details…
    N.
    PS~ Oh, and Kate Beckinsdale instead of Sandra Bullock in this role??? Pfffhhtttt! just my .02

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

@DedEye wrote:

What were the details of that one?

Two Russians playing chess. One got pissed-off, grabbed an axe, and attacked the other.

I don’ know any other details. However, if the victim attempted a delayed en passant after his opponent’s initial 2-square pawn move, well, then it was justifiable homicide.

DedEye

@Sciencetech wrote:

I don’ know any other details. However, if the victim attempted a delayed en passant after his opponent’s initial 2-square pawn move, well, then it was justifiable homicide.

I can’t believe how nerdy I feel for completely understanding (and agreeing) with that!

skua77
    Keymaster

I haven’t yet found any documentation on the chess game murder, but (slightly less violent) I did uncover info on the Russian doctor who performed an appendectomy on himself in 1961.http://www.southpolestation.com/trivia/igy1/appendix.txt

What I didn’t learn until today is that Vladimir Papitashvili was an assistant in the appendectomy performed during Mirny-Dome C traverse in 1984. That is also described in the above link, which fellow 1977 w/o and Russian exchange scientist Alex Zaitsef sent me. It seems that Alex and Vladimir worked in the same geomag lab in the 70s, and Vladimir was asked to step in and take over the lab management while Alex was with us at Pole. Small Antarctic world. The New Scientist interview with Vladimir:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20227131.300-interview-living-it-up-at-the-south-pole.html?page=2

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

No details? Yippeee! That leaves us free to imagine what might have happened.
    Now for a two-minute mini-screenplay to compliment Whiteout:mrgreen:

[font=courier:2i5soa7k][align=center:2i5soa7k]”BLACKOUT”
    a screenplay
    by
    Sciencetech[/align:2i5soa7k]

INT. ANTARCTIC HUT – NIGHT

The hut is crude and cold. WIND is blowing snow under the door, making a
    small drift inside. Empty vodka bottles litter the floor. A Russian calendar
    on a dirty wall shows July — it has been a long, long winter.

Two bundled men are hunched over a game of chess. BORIS pushes his
    white pawn diagonally past a black pawn, then removes the black pawn
    from the board.

IVAN stares dumbfounded for a moment. Then:

[align=center:2i5soa7k]IVAN
    (subtitled)
    You can't do that.

BORIS
    (subtitled)
    Yes, I can. See?
    (he repeats the move)
    Just so. It's call en passant.

IVAN
    (subtitled)
    I know what it's called, but you
    can't do it now. It's too late.

BORIS
    (subtitled)
    Nonsense! Comrade, you should learn the rules.[/align:2i5soa7k]
    Ivan rises, furious. He turns and grabs a fire axe from the wall.

[align=center:2i5soa7k]IVAN
    (subtitled)
    Learn this, swine![/align:2i5soa7k]
    He swings. THWOOOCKKK!!

Boris slumps in the chair, the axe lodged in his head. A black
    pawn falls from his limp hand to the floor.

[align=center:2i5soa7k]IVAN (CONT'D)
    (subtitled, whispered)
    You win, gospodin.

The End[/align:2i5soa7k][/font:2i5soa7k]

spidey
    Participant

Here’s a few photos from the movie….
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3165952256/tt0365929

Neutron

@Sciencetech wrote:

No details? Yippeee! That leaves us free to imagine what might have happened.
    Now for a two-minute mini-screenplay to compliment Whiteout:mrgreen:

[align=center:2zv1eye2]”BLACKOUT”
    a screenplay
    by
    Sciencetech[/align:2zv1eye2]

I see budding cinematic genius here, Glenn. That said, I think you could probably take the 2 minutes down to 30 seconds, and generate greater commercial appeal to a larger mass market, and large studio distribution potential.
    Take a look at this, and you can envision what I am getting at here. 😈

http://www.angryalien.com/0504/shiningbunnies.html
    or just go to: http://www.angryalien.com and scroll down to “The Shining.”

АПЛОДИСМЕНТЫ (translation: Cheers!) and happy Thursday Everyone!

MightyAtlas

Wow, two words I never thought I’d see in the same sentence: genius, and Glenn…

Neutron

@MightyAtlas wrote:

Wow, two words I never thought I’d see in the same sentence: genius, and Glenn…

Geez, I hope he doesn’t take it personally…

MightyAtlas

Glenn and I are old friends.

I still give him s h i t about working up in the Banana Belt, at Palmer, and it not counting towards his ice-time…

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Ahh, Palmer, Pole or on the ships, it all makes good script (pun intentional). Mactown, especially, could provide years of sitcoms a-la Northern Exposure or M*A*S*H, with Atlas and Mike as key players.

I’m off to the north woods for a long weekend of camping and marmot trapping. Seriously, it’s a biology project, or so I’m told. I hope they don’t stink.

Hmmm. A McMurdo series… Atlas and Mike… and Rox… and BT… Could be fun. I think I’ll take a notebook with me. Huh.

later.

Neutron

OK…so now I’m thinking “Office Space, part II: sMacTown.”
    Who gets the red stapler?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.