Which hotel in chch?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hello,

So I’m getting the last bit of my RPSC paperwork done and need to come up with what motel to request in chch. Any pointers? I’m a fairly average 20yo guy (21 by then) who will be working as Fuels GA in McMurdo. I’m guessing there are a few choice motels for ice people, anyone care to divulge which they are? Thanks!

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

You know the song…

YYYYYYY-M-C-A

ya-da-da-da-da-da-da

YYYYYYY-M-C-A

etc. Silly costume not required.

It’s a nice place. The only catch is they won’t wake you up in the morning so you’ll need an alarm clock.

Some of the downtown backpackers are okay too if you’re on a budget. Stay near the central part of town, it’s more fun. If you’re not on a budget just get a room at the Heritage. If you want to go the B&B route, maybe try the Windsor (the older set — yikes, that’s me! — stay there often). It’s clean and proper, and kinda fun for a B&B.

My .02

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I’ll echo Glenn. YMCA for low cost nice. Windsor for a step up. When we get off the ice we always stay the first few days at the Windsor. The owners are nice and they take good care of the ice people. At either place you will be in the company of a large number of ice people.

The Y is near the bus route. It’s about 5 blocks or so from downtown and and easy walk. It’s across the street from the arts center which is a good place to spend some time, especially on a Saturday when the street vendors set up in the parking lot. Annies Wine bar resturant is in the Artcenter complex along with an internet coffeeshop and tons of shops. Dux Delux resturant is also in the same block. The christchurch museum is 2 blocks away.

Bear in mind that on the trip down you may not have time to sight see in Cheech. If the planes run on schedule you may find yourself arriving in cheech, doing the clothing issue and flying the next day. That’s the worst case scenerio. Best case is the weather is bad down here and you are stuck in Cheech for a week. After the first couple of days, you get 150 dollars a day Kiwi for expenses. The Y is around 60 a night which leaves you with enough money to have some fun.
    Mike

Anonymous

Cool! Thanks for the pointers, will hopefully be staying at the Y in October. Can’t wait to get on that airplane!

Iceman

I always stayed at the backpackers in the square thats above Baileys Bar since thats the Ice Expat bar.

Anonymous

I’m convinced that a large percentage of the program just live at Bailey’s while they are in ChC…Heck, I’ve seen participants there in the early morning sitting on a stool and downing a pint of CD (I was just walking by outside of course….you know, looking for coffee!) and the same guys and gals there late that same night…..same stools…..Expat ICE fixtures at Bailey’s….

The backpacker Warner’s Hotel runs is OK, and lots of people stay there.

See you at Bailey’s!

Anonymous

I stayed at “Living Spaces – The Inn” It was sort of middle range and like 80/night ish. The service wasn’t that great but the room was really nice, clean all the good stuff. Close enough to the center of town so I could walk to bailey’s and get the ice discout, drink my self silly and I still have a couple few hundred kiwi left over to blow at scott base, and some for a few nights at the Y or a backpacker place when I get back in town in…a year.
    -Nate

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Employment’ is closed to new topics and replies.