Where do I go to get to Antartica?

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics Where do I go to get to Antartica?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    LittleLyzzie

Hey, I am looking for something new and different. Why not Antartica?

Where do I apply to get there? I don’t have any degrees but loads of retail and office experience.

MightyAtlas

Lyzzie —

First off ,you need to spell it correctly.  It’s Antarctica.  It means ‘no bears’.

Secondly, visit http://www.rayjobs.com .  They’ll have a listing of available jobs.  Could be for McMurdo, South Pole (the red-headed step-child), or Palmer (not really considered a part of the continent, since it’s up in the Banana Belt).

Not alot of retail jobs here since Wal-Mart closed up.  However, those workers were absorbed quickly, and we still maintain our 0% unemployment rate!

The mayor is VERY happy with that statistic.

Good luck, Lyzzie!

a

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Lyzzie
    When you apply using http://www.rayjobs.com , the city the jobs are listed under is Centennial, Colorado. That is the home office location for the Raytheon Polar Services Company.
    Mike

m0loch
    Keymaster

They haven’t gotten that fixed yet? (the centennial thing)

Of course you’ll also need a login and password @ rayjobs…one in a series of about a thousand if you get hired.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Lyzzie
    Apply now just in off chance that someone drops at the last minute and leaves an open job for October. If you do get hired get your medical done as soon as possible.

As M0loch said you are amoung thousands of applicants when you send the email applications. You can improve your chances slightly by attending the job fair in April. It doesn’t actually give you a great advantage other than you may get a name of someone that does the hiring for the dept you are looking at. If you are really lucky and they like you, ask if you can keep in touch. Sometimes that puts your name ahead of the people who only applied by email.
    Mike

1sweetkimmy

Mike,
    How do you get paid when you work in Antarctica? Taxes taken out or do you have to do that yourself? I know that some people are on disability and SSI so I was just woundering.

MightyAtlas

Kimmy —

Mike is just about to leave Christchurch, on his way down to McMurdo. 

Working down here is like working anywhere in the States.  We’re paid every two weeks, taxes are deducted, and your check is direct-deposited. 

In fact, every government agency has indicated that Antarctica is a foreign country EXCEPT the IRS.    So it’s pretty much ‘taxation without representation.

a

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.