When it rains, it pours..erm…snows…

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics When it rains, it pours..erm…snows…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Baghdad Jim

after having not thought of the place or the RPSC HireRight forms in a while

[font=Garamond, Times, Serif:4fp9imt2]So anyway, there I was finally getting comfortable with helping manage a new site that I’d never been to before…and there, in my ‘favorites’, I see these Antarctic links that I’ve not clicked in a long time. I’m all caught up and everything is running smoothly so–what the hey, I’ve got the time now.[/font:4fp9imt2]
    [font=Garamond, Times, Serif:4fp9imt2][/font:4fp9imt2] 
    [font=Garamond, Times, Serif:4fp9imt2]So, a week back, I go about checking all of them and getting engrossed all-over again with the internet friends whose Ice-lives I had been a willing vouyer of since last April.  I catch up on all the people leaving the ice and their vacation writings that still manage to include their time down south.[/font:4fp9imt2]
    [font=Garamond, Times, Serif:4fp9imt2]Then around the bar and abused-BQ-turned-into-a-firepit, I get to talking to these PSD guys and some of my fellow employees about Antarctica.  I didn’t raise the topic, I just corrected the difference in the poles, animals, companies… it all came out and people seemed interested[/font:4fp9imt2]
    [font=Garamond, Times, Serif:4fp9imt2]Uncanny, really, at just how much I know about the place, considering that I haven’t been there.[/font:4fp9imt2]
    [font=Garamond, Times, Serif:4fp9imt2]Anyway, all of a sudden I start getting these Google Alerts with a deluge of people on the ice starting new blogs.  And in one of them, this IT girl headed for the pole makes a reference to having recently been a contractor over here in Iraq.  A first that I’ve seen.  Then our Security guy says he knows an IT girl the just went there, (yes..turned out to be one-n-the same).  One of our firefighters in Djbouti says theres a slot open and is considering it.[/font:4fp9imt2]
    [font=Garamond, Times, Serif:4fp9imt2]And today, I get an email asking if I’m still interested in a GA position.[/font:4fp9imt2]

Hi Jim,

It IS a small world.  I, too sit quietly and read what everyone is doing.  You do get a ‘feel’ for the different people and their personalities.

I just wanted to let everyone know I received an email yesterday asking if I was still interested!!! It is for a General Assistant position.  (I really want to be a driver – but will take most anything to get there.) (except COOK-and you really don’t want me accepting that job)

Good luck to you – hope to see you on the ice some day!

LittleChipper

Get FREE company branded e-mail accounts and a Web site from Microsoft Office Live

Baghdad Jim

yup

unfortunately, I would have to give up a pretty sweet recent turn of events.  But then again…its Antarctica.

MightyAtlas

Hey, Chipper —

If the position is for winter, it may make you feel better to know that there aren’t any driver positions in the winter.  Shuttles only run during summer, and limited during Winfly.

Get your foot in the door, at least.  Nothing wrong with shoveling snow…

a

Oh no!!!
    I have no plans to come for the winter…. I will try the “warm” season first!

I did receive another email today… giving the details of the job description and asking more questions. I replied and am hoping that will get things started with the tons of paperwork and physicals… etc.   I was honest in what I can or can not do – hope that helps my FOOT keep the door open!

LittleChipper

Get the latest Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta version. Join now.

MightyAtlas

LC —

Be certain you know what season you’re being hired for.  They’re right in the middle of hiring for the winter.  Typically, hiring for summer doesn’t even start till March or April.

Careful what contract you sign.   
    a

thepooles98
    Keymaster

LC
    I see two possibilities.
    One, they are looking to hire someone right away to finish the last 2-3 months of the season. As of 2 days ago, they still had new hires coming in for the summer.

Two, they are hiring for winter. This is a little less likely as due to budget cuts, the base will be on bare minimum staff this winter.

I doubt you are being hired for next summer, so you should check.
    Mike

thanks for the advice… I will watch out!

I would think they’ld want experienced workers for the winter.

Get free, personalized commercial-free online radio with MSN Radio powered by Pandora

2 possibilities?

I like one of those!  To finish out this year. 
    I would not sign up for a winter – without knowing what I was getting myself into.

Talk now to your Hotmail contacts with Windows Live Messenger.

Baghdad Jim

I will definately go for a winter for my first time around!

Hell, I’m sitting at just under a year right now since I tool my last R&R and had an 8 month stretch in the past 3 years that was on a night-shift where I had contact with less that 20 people total.  Didn’t even lay eyes on the people that cooked the food.

I feel sorry for supply and those who rely on them most. I hear there may only be 1 per supply room and some supply rooms sharing 1 person between them. That means very little checking incoming materials and offloading from milvans onto shelves if theres ay delay in ship offload. If thats the case, winfly will be a lot of fun for those who come back while they run around in milvans looking for parts, haha.

I wish the winterovers well.

Lucky.

Baghdad Jim, you still over in the sandbox? just wondering how bad the PQ was for there. I would appreciate an e-mail if you could please.

Lucky.

Baghdad Jim

Brendan–email is on the way …but I can tell you it’s no where near the same as it used to be when I signed up a few years back.  I think they just require occasional breathing and a general inability to understand ones contract.  Skillsets only come into play if your degree title is the same as your job title, most of the time…sort of….

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Lucky, I don’t think things will be too bad this winter. The tasking for the winter supply folks is to get receiving done. No grandeose moving of warehouses or wall to wall inventories this year. By the time you guys get back in the summer all should be normal except none of the winter FEMC extra projects will get done.
    M

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.