What other comparable jobs are there to working on The Ice?


Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics What other comparable jobs are there to working on The Ice?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1409
    DedEye
    Member

    Back when Raytheon had the NSF contract, I remember also seeing posts about the RTSC positions doing START Treaty monitoring in Siberia. Besides that, the best analogue for working in Antarctica that I could conceive would probably be with various research vessels or expeditions.

    What other permanent research bases are out there that are comparable to Antarctica? Other national research stations, obviously, but does anyone know of a (somewhat) comprehensive list anywhere? What about research vessels or expeditions that look for staff on an annual/consistent basis?

    Expanding the question a bit, what other international contract positions are there? Afghanistan immediately comes to mind, but I suspect that those won’t be around in any great number for much longer. I’m trying to get an idea for other places to apply rather than lump all my eggs in the Antarctic basket.

    #11775
    Sciencetech
    Keymaster

    @DedEye wrote:

    What other permanent research bases are out there that are comparable to Antarctica?

    Aside from the middle-east sandbox, not many.

    Google ‘summit station greenland’ and ‘toolik field station’ for two examples. Summit is currently staffed by Polar Field Services and Toolik by the University of Alaska. Both locations have very thin staffing compared to USAP.

    @DedEye wrote:

    What about research vessels or expeditions that look for staff on an annual/consistent basis?

    There’s quite a few, and a lot of turnover on vessels (for good reason). It’s tough work but some of the positions are very cool. Besides the USAP vessels, check out: Wood’s Hole Oceanographic Institute (WHOI), Scripps Institute in San Diego, University of Washington, UC Santa Cruz, and NOAA (look for Hydrographic Survey Technician positions on USAJobs).

    #11776
    m0loch
    Keymaster

    Comparable to working on The Ice, you ask….

    how about volunteering as a test subject at a proctology school…

    Seriously though, browse jobs with all of the defense contractors. After the last time I was on ice, I went to Taiwan with Raytheon…sweet gig, that! Currently I’m in Abu Dhabi, and the job isn’t too bad at all. There are places in the middle east that I would gladly go work, there are others that I would have to be starving to death before I would even consider it.

    PAE has jobs at various embassies (Russia, China and others), There’s also Kwajalein that seems somewhat popular with ice folk. Palmyra is worth mentioning, as is Ascension Island.

    #11777
    DedEye
    Member

    @m0loch wrote:

    Comparable to working on The Ice, you ask….

    how about volunteering as a test subject at a proctology school…

    Seriously though, browse jobs with all of the defense contractors. After the last time I was on ice, I went to Taiwan with Raytheon…sweet gig, that! Currently I’m in Abu Dhabi, and the job isn’t too bad at all. There are places in the middle east that I would gladly go work, there are others that I would have to be starving to death before I would even consider it.

    PAE has jobs at various embassies (Russia, China and others), There’s also Kwajalein that seems somewhat popular with ice folk. Palmyra is worth mentioning, as is Ascension Island.

    Thanks M0loch. I already volunteered as a test subject for a malaria vaccine. Spoiler alert: it didn’t work and I contracted malaria.

    What sort of gig took you to Taiwan? Sounds like it must have been a good one! Having spent a lot of time in the Middle East, there’s large swaths of it I’d love to return to, and only a few places I’d actively avoid.

    Kwajalein popped up my radar once before, but I didn’t think about it as an employment destination before. I suspect Diego Garcia belongs on the list as well, along with any other remote location with a US base. I wonder if any OAEs ended up working at Guantanamo?

    One of the more appealing contracts I ran across were the positions at Alice Springs, Australia. The downside though is it’s a two year contract with a four on/four off schedule. There’s definitely worse out there, but it’s a bit more long term than I was hoping to find.

    #11778
    arkie guide
    Member

    Some time after my experience on the ice 1958-59-60 – I landed a gig in Siberia for a winter, not bad, at least there was a tavern are 2, to combat the cold.

    Take care
    arkie guide

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.