Tips to get the job??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Anonymous

So i’m hoping to make it down to the New Mexico job fair and I was hoping that someone who has already been through the process could through me a few pointers.
    Should i go in a suit?
    What should my resume’s focus be?
    What are the interviewers favorite type of cake in case I need to schmooze…?

basically…any helpful hints how to get on the ice??

I NEED TO GO!!

thanks!

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Hi Berge,

Did you go to the job fair? How did things go? What are you applying for?

g

Anonymous

hi glenn,

no i was unable to go to the job fair. life has a way of interfering with plans.

But I still want to try and go to the Seattle job fair, so any tips are still appreciiated.
    One specific tip is now needed…. How do I get around some of the health rules.

brege

Been There

Hi Berge,

If you have to ask “how you get around the health rules” I success you not apply. The health screening in in place to ensure the program does not have to deal with medical problems in an extremely remote and challenging location. If you have a medical proble you find, you are putting others at risk.

Anonymous

When is the Seattle job fair?

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Guru — the Seattle Job fair is on May 3rd. Details:
    http://www.polar.org/hr/jobfairs/job_fair_home.asp

Berge — sometimes health matters that people think may be a problem are not. As an example, I know several people on the Ice who have a history of minor heart problems but PQ’d anyway. Conversely, other things that seem minor may result in an NPQ (Not Physically Qualified). Lately gallstones, even asymtomatic ones, have been a huge issue, and bad teeth are always a problem. The point is that you might PQ honestly if you give it a try. But Been There is right that you shouldn’t try to hide a serious ailment; there is no shame in NPQing, only disappointment.

Anonymous

Thank you.

Anonymous

thank you for all responding.

the health problem for which i solicitated a tip is cervical cancer. I have already posted in the health section about this problem, and i did not feel like dwelling on it.
    I am looking for a tip because it is such a non issue. I would be absolutley fine for 6 months down there without a doctor.

Been there- I would never put anyone in danger. May.be myself, but no one else.

Beyond this annoyance i call fake cancer, I want any and all tips.
    The simple aesthitics. I need the tips to get me to the physicals. Who out there has been through this? Are the interviewers hard asses that want a suit and tie to sit down and apply. Are they looking for a mountain gal?

Little tips like that.

So if there are any little things that you (someone who has already been on the ice) feel sealed the deal. Please let the rest of us in.

Brege

Been There

Just to make sure you and others understand my point the USAP has had individuals arrive in Antarctica in the past that have hidden a medical problem for what ever reason. In more than one case the program has had to go to significant expense and more importantly to some risk to the many involved to pull these folks out of the field, in a couple cases in the winter. While you say you would never put anyone in danger, maybe just yourself, since you have not been to the ice before and don’t understand the issues involved I thought was important to raise the point. Don’t want to make it a bigger issue than it is but I have been directly involved in a number of these situations over the years and if an individual thinks they are the only one in danger that is not the case. Your best bet is to be honest and open and provide all medical imformation during your screening. Good luck.

Anonymous

Been there-
    to doubt me and not know me is rather pompous i must say.
    i feel the urge to justify myself but i will try my best to resist.
    however i will say this- calm down. cerivical cancer are ugly words with little to back them up. all i wanted was suggestions on how to go through the process, honestly, and still make it down to the ice.
    so calm down and either answer my question or do not respond at all. no need to blame me for any irresponsible ppl that you feel put you in risk.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Time for a beer. I’m outta here.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Employment’ is closed to new topics and replies.