The next McMurdo movie

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    thepooles98
    Keymaster

All, 2 summers ago we had two film crews in Mcmurdo shooting documenteries. Werner Herzog finished his Encounters At The End Of The Earth last year. It’s interesting if you get to see it. He focused in a lot on the day to grind in McM and how it looks like a mining town once all the snow melts.

The other was Anne Aghion. I just got an email that hers is finished and will be showing in San Francisco  at the SF Film Festival,in the coming weeks. Below is the email with dates and times.

Dear All,

Great news!  The ICE PEOPLE premiere is set at the 2008 San Francisco International Film Festival, the longest-running film festival in America, which will take place April 24 to May 8!!!  It’s a great honor for me.

Screenings are at the Sundance Kabuki Cinemas, 1881 Post Street, San Francisco, CA 94115.  I will be present for Q&As following the first two screenings.

Saturday, April 26th, 6:45 p.m. (Theater 3)
    Monday, April 28th, 3:30 p.m. (Theater 1)
    Wednesday, April 30th, 1:15 p.m. (Theater 1)

So if you have friends or colleagues in the Bay Area, please spread the news!

Check out the film’s trailer, which is now posted on http://www.icepeople.com!  Come visit us often, as we add new images and clips, as well as news about the film. 

Another bit of excellent news to share right now, for TV professionals out there interested in the film, is that Philippa Kowarsky’s Cinephil has picked up world TV rights for ICE PEOPLE, and was at MIPdoc with the film this week!

See you soon! 

RoyWendell

Mike,

We got the heads up on this one via email at DenverHq.

I’ve already joined their mailing list so I’ll know if and when it gets released on DVD.

It appears that the Herzog film is going to be released on DVD by Discovery channel in June but that’s not confirmed.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I kind of liked Herzogs movie. It definately focused on the drudgery of life in McM.
    I’d like to buy a copy.
    I was filmed a couple of times by Anne Aghions crew. The first was as I was arriving. I have a friend a big hug in the galley lobby. I turned around and there was a camera catching the whole thing. I’m used to that with film crews.

Herzog was different. He almost always asked first if it was ok to film. It was nice, I respected him a lot more than any of the film crews over the years.

RoyWendell

So basically he made you feel more like a real person than a zoo exhibit?

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Exactly

Been_There

I have dealt with many film crews and media groups over the years and have to say, with a guy with his experience and stature, Herzog was wonderful to work with.  As others have poinited out, he was very easy to work with, no big ego, understanding and sensitive to all things in the community and captured the element of the special people working there unlike anyone before him.  He had a crew of two, compared to many other less accomplished groups with crews of five.  Have to admitt there are parts on the film I don’t care for, but compared to others in the past, it’s very good.  I only wish I had more time to talk with him about his impressions.

BT

m0loch
    Keymaster

The Herzog film…Seriously..?

The guy had his mind made up about what McMurdo/Antarctica was like before he even got there, he wasn’t into being there at all – only came down at Henry’s behest. Shot some stuff, hastily threw together a slide show that had flowed about as smoothly as HR/medical paperwork through DHQ.

It had an air of “Oh, I’ve been to Antarctica…now here’s the obligatory work I have to show for it” No soul whatsoever – touching on many subjects, but not really getting to the meat of anything.

I will say, he was a pleasure to be around and props to the crew of two, but this tripe of a film was a failure coming from anybody, and especially so because he is obviously capable of much more.

Been_There

Like I said, I have worked with many other film makers and media types in the past….and some of the stuff they produced was not worth watching.  I have walked out on more than one.  Mt latest favorite from the Artist and Writers group was the BLUE BALLS.  Now that was really something and I understand you can buy a ball if you want????

BT

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Ok, Herzog wasn’t an ooo ahhh penguin guy like the rest. His movie has good reviews so the world can’t think it’s too bad. My beef was that he had to make it a feature length film. To do that he put way too many shots of the under side of the ice sheets.

BT Blue balls was my least favorite. I never really made the connection I guess.To me the end result could have been done in a farm field in Colorodo in the winter. I also never connect with that guy who put up thousands of yellow umbrellas in So. Cal a few years back or those people who wrap buildings in colored cloth. I think I like the art that is more permanant. A good painting of some penguin poop sliding into pony lake would excite me.
    M

MightyAtlas

Personally, I think the Blue Balls project struck a chord with the male ice population.  It hit close to home, and really captured what we feel during our stay in McMurdo…

Been_There

I think NSF needs to consider changing the name of the Artist and Writers program to Artist and Writers and Other Weird Stuff.  In recent years it’s been getting a bit strange for my taste.

BT

thepooles98
    Keymaster

One of my co workers just showed me an article in an astronomy magazine about the blue balls project. She was pretty excited to see McMurdo in a magazine and wanted to share. I guess stuff like this gets out and makes the NSF look good. Still it seemed a bit weird to me.

I think they should keep the Artist and Writers program and just add in a second one call Weird Stuff.  Then I would apply. Let’s see. I could bring down a bunch of stuffed tiger toys. Full size. Then put them out on the ice to demonstrate the impact of global warming and how if we continue to put carbon in the air, there could be tigers at McMurdo some day.  
    Wait, do we have tigers already?  Ok, let’s make it lemon trees instead.
    m

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.