Take the OAE Test!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

okay, youʹve done it all. or have youʔ how do you know if youʹre a real oae (old antarctic explorer)ʔtake the oae testǃcount your “yes” answers to the following questions. this is primarily for usap participants… and no, i havenʹt done all of them, and iʹm not necessarily advocating all these things, itʹs only for your personal amusement. <ǃ-- s8) -->ʹʹ8)ʹʹ<ǃ-- s8) -->1. going to antarctica the first time was scary.2. some years later, going home was scary.3. you have the antarctic service medal.4. you have the antarctic service medal and a winter-over bar.5. no matter what you do, all you get anymore is a lapel pin.6. youʹve done a summer.7. youʹve done a winter.8. youʹve done a full year.9. you know what the 500 club is, and youʹre a member.10. at some point youʹve lost track of your ice time.11. youʹve done the polar plunge.12. youʹve done the polar plunge naked.13. youʹve done the 300 club.14. youʹve done the 300 club and circled the pole marker, naked.15. youʹve climbed ob hill.16. youʹve climbed castle rock.17. youʹve climbed erebus.18. youʹve driven a sprite.19. youʹve stolen a sprite.20. youʹve camped on an ice shelf.21. youʹve camped in a historic hut.22. you donʹt camp on the ice anymore because you know better.23. youʹve flown in a helicopter or small plane in antarctica.24. youʹve flown in a helicopter or small plane in antarctica… without permission.25. youʹve flown a paraglider on the ice.26. youʹve spent a week or more waiting for the weather to clear before flying.27. youʹve seen penguins.28. youʹve handled penguins.29. youʹve been on a ship breaking ice.30. youʹve been stuck in the ice on a ship.31. you were there during the navy days.32. heck, the first time there you were *in* the navy.33. youʹve set foot on the continent.34. youʹve scubaʹd or snorkled in the antarctic ocean.35. youʹve been bitten by some antarctic animal or bird.36. youʹve been attacked by a skua.37. youʹve been attacked by a seal.38. youʹve been attacked by a co-worker.39. youʹve seen auroras.40. youʹve seen nacreous clouds.41. youʹve seen a ufo or something weird. (seriously.)42. youʹve rappeled into a crevasse.43. youʹve played music at icestock.44. youʹve been in the ob tube.45. youʹve been in an ice cave.46. youʹve been in a fumerole.47. youʹve played radio darts.48. youʹve cross-dressed for a party.49. youʹve shaved all your hair off.50. youʹve visited a half-dozen or more stations or field camps….additional questions added 9/13:51. youʹve been to the south pole.52. youʹve been to the old south pole station.53. you *worked* at old south pole station.54. youʹve been to the dry valleys.55. youʹve been to cape crozier.56. you appear in a newspaper article, book, news report, movie, or television progam about antarctica.57. youʹve visited at least two crashed airplane or helicopter sites.58. you worry (or hope) that when you arrive on the ice or go to the denver office you may bump into an old ice-marriage friend. 59. youʹve slept in hut 10.60. youʹve either fallen for one of the scam posts (i.e., “sign up for ldb balloon rides”) on the bulletin board in 155… or youʹve put one up there yourself.61. you know what the 6-pack was.62. youʹve spent an entire morning unplugging a clogged toilet or sewer pipe (on the ice).63. youʹve dressed in a kiwi parka or similar clothing to avoid drawing attention to your activities.64. youʹve found someone passed-out in the snow. or someone has found you that way.65. youʹve seen open water in front of mcmurdo.66. youʹve seen whales in front of mcmurdo.67. youʹve watched a ship hit rocks or ground itself.68. youʹve participated in an air drop.69. youʹve participated in a medevac.70. somewhere, at some station or field camp, is a box with your name on it, with stuff in case you ever return…. btʹs additions:71. youʹve been the byrd station when it was not a surface camp.72. youʹve been to siple station and it was not a summer camp.73. youʹve been to the first siple station and the second one too.74. you visited “old palmer”.75. you spent the night at “old palmer”.76. you know what pm3a was.77. you know what vxe-6 was called before it was vxe-6.78. you sailed south on the hero.79. you know what a 119 is.80. you know what happened if your walked into the club with your hat on.81. you went south on winfly when it was really winfly and not “springfly”.82. you flew to mcmurdo in pegasus, not landing at pegasus.83. you know who carl d was.

whatʹs your scoreʔ please feel free to add your own questions tooǃg

Anonymous

i made a score of 27 after 14 seasons, a few of them more interesting than others. how about adding having gone into old pole stationʔ

Anonymous

got 35 out of 50. since i answered yes to question ten i donʹt keep track of time on the ice anymore. i donʹt want to know.additional questions:youʹve been the byrd station when it was not a surface camp.youʹve been to siple station and it was not a summer camp youʹve been to the first siple station and the second one too.you visited “old palmer”you spent the night at “old palmer”you know what pm3a wasyou know what vxe-6 was called before it was vxe-6you sailed south on the heroyou know what a 119 isyou know what happened if your walked into the club with your hat onyou went south on winfly when it was really winfly and not “springfly”you flew to mcmurdo in pegasus, not landing at pegasusyou know who carl d wasadd these to the list and my score goes up to 47been there

Anonymous

damn i missed some of the test. got 53 out of the orginal 70 questions.add my 13 additional items and i get 66 on the “test”.been were

Anonymous

awesomeǃ iʹll just edit my original post and add new questions.my score: 57 of the first 70, or 59 of all 83.

Anonymous

glenn,we will have to compare notes. looks like you might have done a few things that i have not able to do. been there

Anonymous

pretty silly. a lot of the questions have no relevance to someone who wintered over in the late 50ʹs.also, iʹm pretty sure that scott, shackleton and priestley would flunk this test.

Anonymous

whew. guess i missed a few things, well, i havenʹt exactly spend much time in mactown, and richie must have held out on sharing all of his secrets of the ice with me <ǃ-- s:) -->ʹʹ:)ʹʹ<ǃ-- s:) -->but i can count a few of the rare ones. got 35 on the first 70, 43 on the lot. and it was fun thinking about and remembering each and every one. thanks gǃ

Anonymous

yeah, we could definitely use some more early odf and south pole station questions, maybe rounding it out to an even 100. (hint to mirage and bill)if i imagine iʹm one of scottʹs crew i can answer 34 of the first 50 as a probable “yes”, even though this is for contemporary oaes. i donʹt think any of us could answer some of the questions they would ask…youʹve eaten pengiunyouʹve eaten dogyouʹve burnt blubber for warmthyouʹve lost at least two toes to frostbiteyour teeth have split from the coldyeeeecchǃ <ǃ-- s:mrgreen: -->ʹʹ:mrgreen:ʹʹ<ǃ-- s:mrgreen: -->

Anonymous

ok, iʹm still pretty new to the program. i got 23 on the whole lot (23 on the first 70, and 0 on 71-83)…. maybe a few more years and my score will go up.

Anonymous

okay, this is fun, iʹm up to the challenge, here are a few more questions, since these are tilted towards my ice time i obviously have 100% of this list <ǃ-- s:) -->ʹʹ:)ʹʹ<ǃ-- s:) -->. now we need mirage and zondra to add some of their own, and glenn to perhaps edit and sort the list into an even 100.youʹve been inside pm3a.you became a qualified d-1 operator.youʹve had a drink in the last chance saloon.youʹve had a drink in club 90 at old pole.youʹve had a drink in club 90 under the dome.youʹve been to destination zulu.youʹve had a drink at all 4 clubs at mcmurdo (the em club, acey-deucey, chiefʹs club and oʹclub, that is).you had to relight the preway in your hut.youʹve helped launch a science or weather balloon.you got all of your news from the mcmurdo sometimes.youʹve been in the utilidor at pole.youʹve seen the antarctic cod in the ice tunnels at pole.youʹve partaken of crosstown pizza.you know what evil would befall you if you didnʹt take your mukluks off before going inside the module at siple.youʹve shoveled snow into a snow melter (with a shovel).youʹve seen the green flash at sunset.one of your palmer house mouse assignments was burning trash on the helo pad.youʹve prayed inside the original chapel of the snows.youʹve eaten on the e side.

Anonymous

32 on the original post more on subsequent. add have you slept in a snow shelter.mike

Anonymous

hell, i only got 50 out of 83 – and that depends on a few things.anyone over 50s been aroundǃ but it is mcm centric.it was fun anyway.for extra points, whose name is in the original club 90 south “i was here”, but has never been there.ever seen fym written on anything in your travels in antarcticaʔ most likely an oz base. one hint – the m was the station leader casey 96 – the mutiny year. i think at one point everything – including the underside of a apple hut (which was slung loaded to ardery is) had it written on it. it fun to watch that apple lifted and a huge fym under it:)das<ǃ-- m -->http://antarctica.kulgun.net/<ǃ-- m -->

Anonymous

> now we need mirage and zondra to add some of their ownhereʹs one: you have too much time on your hands.

Anonymous

i got 33ǃ one question is iffy though. i have been at the old byrd station, but it wasnʹt open at the time. it was in summer 94-95. we used a bulldozer and uncovered one of the ladders and then ventured down inside the old camp (long since buried). we had to dig a vertical tunnel down to the top of the old access ladder and dig our way down through the access tube. it was a pretty wild experienceǃ sleeping bags still on beds, cards from home still on the bulliten boards, and pans still on the stove in the galley. there was a wharehouse section that still have new small engines, parts to everything on station, nuts and bolts, etc. it looked like people left in a hurry, and the whole thing was then buried. we skuaed a bunch of stuff for the surface camp (mixing bowls, stools, a case of urinal cakes) after spending the day exploring. i still have a galley tray and some other artifacts from that day. tore the heck out of my parka coming back up the ladder.it was a heck ov a day, and iʹm sure that if the usap folks would have found out, i would have been on a plane heading north. when we returned to the surface camp later that evening, we were all wondering if something crazy happened that caused everyone to leave with short notice and no one ever went back. then we broke out the beer and watched the thingǃ not really, but that would ahve been pretty creepyǃrob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • The forum ‘Iceboard Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.