Sun’s Up!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sciencetech
    Keymaster

For the first time in 38 days we saw the sun today. Okay, so technically it came up everyday (we’re just north of the Antarctic circle) but it’s so low in the sky that it didn’t clear the glacier and mountains — and things are so cloudy — that this is our first ‘sunrise’, at about 12:55pm local time.

The picture below was taken about an hour before.

MightyAtlas

Very nice shot, Glenn. I love the colors when the sun is low on the horizon.

You going to be at Palmer for a while, or are you coming back to McMurdo?

Hey, if you see Jeff Otten (Otter), tell him I said hi, and expect him to be back in McMurdo’s NOC by October.

a

Baghdad Jim

excellent pic Glenn.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

@mightyatlas wrote:

You going to be at Palmer for a while, or are you coming back to McMurdo?
    Hey, if you see Otter, tell him I said hi, and expect him to be back in McMurdo’s NOC by October.

Hi Atlas,

I’m here until October. After that….. in flux. My position at Palmer is booked-up for the foreseeable future so I probably won’t be coming back here any time soon.

Word on the icy streets and back alleys of Antarctica is that Otter is staying at Palmer for the summer. Did you know? I expect you to give him serious grief about that. Can’t say I blame him for staying…

g

thepooles98
    Keymaster

they say if you get someplace high you can see some light , but to honest it’s still plain dark all the time in town. The hills hide the horizon.

Otter, I thought that was him in the winterover picture. Tell him I said hi. Are either one of you or Bede for that matter, ever coming home to MCM.

Anonymous

still really dark 😉
    Thanks for the pic.
    -Nate

btw, 300 club is awesome!

skua77
    Keymaster

g,
    I thought it was too early in the spring for direct sunlight to hit the station. When does that happen?

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Hey Nate, I’m envious! We had to settle for a mid-winter plunge in the ocean (-1.5C). That’s a shock enough, but I’d like to try the 300 club someday too. Glad it finally got low enough for your to do it.

To answer Bill’s question, I’ve never been quite sure when the station would get direct sunlight because, during past winters, it’s been cloudy for weeks at a time. This year we had partly clear conditions on just the right days — and the answer is the sun disappears and then reappears again about 19 days to either side of the solstice (2 June set, 11 July rise), give or take a bit.

Mike, I’m not sure what Bede’s plans are but my guess is you’ll see him again.

g

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Life on the Ice’ is closed to new topics and replies.