Stuck on the Ice!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sciencetech
    Keymaster

The ship was supposed to arrive on station today, and then depart Antarctica tomorrow with me on it. It got within 6 miles — we could see it! — but they couldn’t make it through the pack ice. We’ve had a few miles of ice crammed up against the shore for, well, almost the whole winter, and a powerful southwest wind over the past few days has compacted it more. For a while the ship itself was stuck.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!! 😥

Generally speaking I like it here, but at the moment I really want to go home. I am so totally toast.

The latest news is that the ship is going to wait around for 30 hours to see if the ice breaks up at all. I’m not optimistic.

8 months and counting……

g

skua77
    Keymaster

Glenn,
    Toast? You, after only 8 months? 🙂 Know what you mean…

I’m out of here in 6 days…again, weather permitting. We had some 25+ knot winds yesterday that cancelled all the airplanes, I’ll go out this afternoon and see if I can whistle you up a brisk east wind.

They’ve been having 70 knot winds at Patriot Hills, did some damage to their two Twin Otters.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

@bill wrote:

Toast? You, after only 8 months?

Yeah… I guess I’m not as immune as I thought. But it’s really more than 8 months because I came here almost directly from MCM with only a few weeks in between. I’ve been on the Ice 12 of the last 13 months.

Maybe something good will come out of this. At least I’m still being paid. 😉

Anonymous

Ahem….Dynomite???

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

One word: Hovercraft.

:mrgreen:

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Shackleton didn’t have any problem with pack ice. A lifeboat, some ropes and you should be out at the ship in no time.
    Mike

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

The tourist ship Clipper Adventurer came to the rescue! Four of us headed north, arriving in Ushuaia, Argentina, the day before yesterday. Yeaaaa!
    😀

skua77
    Keymaster

Good on ya!

The RNZAF was a bit delayed as well…I left Pole on Monday and had a day in MacTown before continuing north on Wednesday. I’m currently thawing out at the Devon before heading out tramping next week…winter at Pole is finally over.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Life on the Ice’ is closed to new topics and replies.