the ship was supposed to arrive on station today, and then depart antarctica tomorrow with me on it. it got within 6 miles — we could see itǃ — but they couldnʹt make it through the pack ice. weʹve had a few miles of ice crammed up against the shore for, well, almost the whole winter, and a powerful southwest wind over the past few days has compacted it more. for a while the ship itself was stuck.aaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhǃǃǃǃ <ǃ-- s:cry: --><ǃ-- s:cry: -->generally speaking i like it here, but at the moment i really want to go home. i am so totally toast.the latest news is that the ship is going to wait around for 30 hours to see if the ice breaks up at all. iʹm not optimistic.8 months and counting……g
glenn,toastʔ you, after only 8 monthsʔ <ǃ-- s:) --><ǃ-- s:) --> know what you mean…iʹm out of here in 6 days…again, weather permitting. we had some 25+ knot winds yesterday that cancelled all the airplanes, iʹll go out this afternoon and see if i can whistle you up a brisk east wind.theyʹve been having 70 knot winds at patriot hills, did some damage to their two twin otters.
yeah… i guess iʹm not as immune as i thought. but itʹs really more than 8 months because i came here almost directly from mcm with only a few weeks in between. iʹve been on the ice 12 of the last 13 months.maybe something good will come out of this. at least iʹm still being paid. <ǃ-- s:wink: --><ǃ-- s:wink: -->
good on yaǃthe rnzaf was a bit delayed as well…i left pole on monday and had a day in mactown before continuing north on wednesday. iʹm currently thawing out at the devon before heading out tramping next week…winter at pole is finally over.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
The forum ‘Iceboard Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.