Station Flyby

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Ever lived someplace where the sound of an airplane is so rare that everyone comes running outside when a plane goes over? There’s a moment of “What the heck is that noise? It’s a plane!” before grabbing your camera and heading for the door. Wave, wave, picture, picture…

We were buzzed, in a nice way, by a Chilean plane the other day. The pictures below were taken with a telephoto lens…

(B.T.: this was not at all like the incident with the Argentinean plane. The Chileans stayed at a safe altitude.) 8)

Baghdad Jim

sooo…what happened with the Argentinian plane? pretty low I take it?

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Yeah, low. One word: haircut.

Anonymous

Oh, how I long for the sound of a plane 😉
    Ok, it’s not bad. Cool pictures…nice daylight
    -Nate

thepooles98
    Keymaster

It would be odd for you to see a plane. If we saw one I’d be scared.

Anonymous

I finally figured out how to build this video of the last Pole flight of 2005 (last year) in Flash Video Thought you might like to see what it’s like here on that day.

http://media.brienbarnett.com/video/lastflight2005.htm (new)

cheers
    -brien

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Cool video Brien!

So are they going to put some siding on the new station? Maybe they have already. Looks a bit tacky with just the plywood siding.

Anonymous

@Glenn wrote:

Cool video Brien!

So are they going to put some siding on the new station? Maybe they have already. Looks a bit tacky with just the plywood siding.

Well, they’ve done the south side along the galley outer wall, but we’re being told it’s now a low priority because the dedication has been pushed to 2008 and this place leaks hot air like a sieve. The downstairs area averages about +40F degrees. We’ve had pipes freeze, the infamous exploding cases of soda in A4 and frozen first floors after housemouse. The insulators are going to have to spend most of this next summer shoring up the subfloor and the nooks and crannies. After that, they may add a bunch of Tyvek siding to increase the insulation and decrease the convection loss, but eventually the paneling might get done. What they’ve done so far does look nice. They call it gunmetal gray, but that’s not even close to what it really looks like. It’s more of an elegant dark blue. Thank god it’s not that ugly NSF kids crayon blue!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Life on the Ice’ is closed to new topics and replies.