SPole Air Trans

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

i received another hireright set, this time for a summer air trans job at the pole. i remember once reading that a ton of flights come in every day but i cant seem to find the page…it was some obscene number of flights like 12 a day or so and described long days of non-stop balls-to-the-wall cargo movement.any one know about thatʔ 12 seems awfully high for a 9 hour workday on a crew that has (according to the listing) only 4 people total.

Anonymous

howdy, jim –i donʹt work at pole, and have only been there once, but we see the daily flight schedule at mcmurdo. twelve may have been the all-time record, but typically i think youʹd see an average of 5-7 a day. the first one usually carries the pax for the day, with subsequent flights carrying cargo, or fuel.without much else to do at pole, i think youʹll enjoy all the work.good luck.atlas

Anonymous

oh, and since all the flights originate at mcmurdo, you wonʹt see the first flight of the day till about 10a, at the earliest. and the day wonʹt end till late in the ʹnightʹ.a

Anonymous

mightyatlas–that brings up another thought, which seems answered. the flights come in on a fairly structured ʹdayʹ ʔ their departure point would still be on a day/night schedule—but that goes away after they get to the pole.am i looking at some swing/split shift work as being the normʔ

Anonymous

ahhh, summer at spole…. the brilliant light. the sparkling diamond dust. the constant drone of lc-130ʹs. it makes oneʹs heart go a pitter-patter. or maybe thatʹs just the hypoxiaʔ the tulips should be pushing up any day now. <ǃ-- s8) -->ʹʹ8)ʹʹ<ǃ-- s8) --> perhaps it would be better to think of the work as non-stop rather than any particular shift. sort of like the sunlight there.iʹd grab it with both hands and hang on for the ride of your life.g

Anonymous

yo, bj –forget about any notion of a ʹstructured dayʹ. they donʹt really exist on the ice. plans are made – plans are modified – plans are broken. weather is the biggest variable in all of this. the skies might be clear in mcmurdo, but iffy at pole, or visa-versa. also, since the planes canʹt stay at pole, you have to plan for the weather at mcmurdo about 7-8 hours out. if the plane canʹt get back in to mcm, then itʹs either circle till it clears, land at an alternate runway, or land in the whiteout zone.semper gumby, dude (always flexible).ap.s. if youʹre going to be at pole, start taking gingko biloba and/or diamox a couple of weeks before deploying. trust me, altitude sickness is no fun…

Anonymous

when i read the side effects of that stuff basically equate to altitude sickness i decided against it. plus iʹm young and arrogant. either way, i figured after living a mile high for a while 10k wouldnʹt be so bad. i had no problems, but iʹll tell you even after 8 months that damn beer can still can whoop you on the “high” days. iʹm still waiting for -100.-nate

Anonymous

ginko…for ams…i would not have thought of that. thatʹs a pretty good idea. iʹll see if its good juju with one of my meds…thanks ʹaʹ.nate, heh, less beer for the buzz–itʹll be just like getting girls drunk on wine coolers in high school, only this time i get to play the girl…wait a minute, i didnʹt..i mean…

Anonymous

jimmy, you like gladiator moviesʔ

Anonymous

jim, hopefully you got the job. most everyone enjoys the pole. me, i once thought i would give anything for a chance to work there. after years at mcm, iʹve become spoiled by the amenities. now iʹd give anything for a chance to fly there, run around the pole and come back the same day. mike

Anonymous

naw, the only gladiator movie i ever liked was ʹgladiatorʹ with russel crowe. iʹm more of a psycho/sci fi person. new and old scifi..and, well, i thought ʹravenousʹ (1999) was excellent–to give an idea of the other side. of course, iʹll just keep that to myself if i ever get the winterover interrogation.this is the third hireright theyʹve done on me, iʹd have though that at $100 a pop, they might keep the results and possibly, just possibly, get people assigned a lot sooner so they have more time to make plans. but that would be efficient–and we simply canʹt have that on govʹt contracts. <ǃ-- s8) -->ʹʹ8)ʹʹ<ǃ-- s8) --> <ǃ-- s:lol: -->ʹʹ:lol:ʹʹ<ǃ-- s:lol: -->

Anonymous

ok, off topic buuuut…….while checking on my “in review” status, i noticed theres a position open for a “lead blaster” at mcmurdo. just what are you guys blowing up over thereʔ or is that how you get the ice to calve off (when the cameras arent looking)

Anonymous

the master blasterǃmy impression is itʹs mostly rock, sometimes stuff thatʹs frozen-in. occasionally dive or sampling holes at remote sites.

Anonymous

bj –instead of perma-frost, think perma-ice.whenever a new building begins, or when a road needs to be moved, or a dozen other things, the blasters come through first, and shake things up a bit. the cats we have canʹt do it all.they also send out a 24-hour blast notice, just so weʹll all be prepared for the big boomǃ when it happens.then, there was that one time the blaster got all drunk, and took a few sticks of dynamite out on the ice, and put them under a few seals.youʹd be amazed how far blubber can fly.a

Anonymous

just kidding about the drunk blaster, and the flying blubber. must have been a dream i had…the ice does weird things to ones unconscious, and evidently, ones memory.happy (en)trails.a

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Iceboard Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.