spidey’s what about list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Been There

You know that some would say that is not life on the Ice since it’s Palmer Station. Having spent some time at Palmer over the yearsI do not agree.

BT

Mradyfist

@m0loch wrote:

@spidey wrote:

So what is it like on the ice?

-Spidey

a week’s worth of “what it’s like on The Ice” all rolled up into one neat five minute package:

It appears that a frozen continent covered in ice, thousands of miles from civilization, is the only place in the world where karaoke actually looks like fun.

spidey
    Participant

I would have thought an outpost geared towards advancing the cause of human knowledge, especially where even the existence of a firearm is only a rumor, people woud have done something to protect themselves from this.
    Or maybe it is the emergence of primitive instincts unleashed due to sensory deprivation. Sort of a modern type of “The Thing”.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

I suppose thanks are in order. You guys finally motivated me to figure out how to compress video clips and upload them to Youtube.

That video above is NOT what it’s like at Palmer. Let’s put an end to that misleading notion right now. This video is REALLY what life is like. Drudgery. Pain. Brutish. Eeeeew.

(The title might also be “Count the future station managers”.) πŸ˜‰

Been There

Glenn,

Interesting clip. Appears the very wise NSF Rep stayed out of camera range since I don’t believe I spotted his smiling face. πŸ˜€

BT

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

I’m sure he’s in there somewhere… πŸ˜†

I also have that video of the Argentinian plane buzzing the station. I haven’t posted it because I didn’t want to cause another international incident. :-O

spidey
    Participant

So is it true that all McMurdo emergency doors open outwards? Good thinking in snowdrift country.
    How bad is the whole overdone safety thing? Its one thing to make light of it, but does it make things impossible to do, or actually more dangerous? I can’t even think of a possible example to throw out other than maybe having to wear 1/2 inch thick rubber gloves to change lightbulbs.
    How bad is the morning commute? Do they run any shuttles around, or you just hike it and its no big deal.
    -Spidey

MightyAtlas

Morning commute??? Hahahahahahahhahhaahhahahahahhaha…

You walk from your dorm to B-155, eat breakfast, then walk to your work center. Skip the first step if you live in B-155.

And 99% of all the doors at MCM open INWARDS. We ain’t that dumb.

Mradyfist

@MightyAtlas wrote:

You walk from your dorm to B-155, eat breakfast, then walk to your work center. Skip the first step if you live in B-155.

This is very exciting to me, as my current commute tacks about an hour and a half to each work day. I’m looking forward to doing something productive or interesting with that time, instead of sitting in my car staring at the back of another car.

spidey
    Participant

I’m sure all the regular doors open inwards, but building code generally specifies that exits labelled emergency must open outward. The idea being that swells of people pushing against a door to escape cannot open an inward door. Practical in most environments.
    I just hear that the letter of the law is more important many times than the intent. Thats what I was asking about. How bad is the issue of being forced to follow impractical procedures.
    As to the commute, I was more wondering about people who work further out, or what happens during more extreme weather. No issues if its 30 and sunny, but when its colder and stormy and hard to see, maybe not quite condition 1, do you still rely on walking?
    Oooh, and what are the buildings with the long enclosed footpath/bridge that slopes down towards the shore?
    -Spidey

thepooles98
    Keymaster

The building with the enclosed walkway is the Crary Science Lab. It’s actually several layers of floors going down the hill all connected by the sloping stairway/ramp. Storms generally blow in from the south so the drifts form on the north sides of buildings. Many of the newer building have doors right where the drifts form. I don’t think anyone thinks to have the archetechechs and engineers live here for a while before designing buildings. The doors on B155 and Crary open out. B155’s last upgrade put the northern doors right where a huge snowdrift forms. People couldn’t get out the doors in a storm. They re-engineered the landing and now there is an open covered walkway with no doors in front of the doors. The snowdrifts form in a place you can walk over them.

The people who work further out have vehicles or shuttles take them to work, whether the weather is good or bad. Those would be the workers at the airfields and balloon launch facility. I think the furthest walk would be from the galley to the waste barn or haz waste area. The walk will take about five minutes or less. You walk it as long as it isn’t condition 1. I think condition 2 will get you to minus 90 or so windchill and winds less than 70 mph or so. Nice weather by antarctic standards, but not go out and have a picnic weather. If you bundle up and keep your skin covered, and wear goggles, it’s actually kind of fun walking to work in those conditions.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I should add that if you coming down for the summer, you aren’t likely to see anything colder than minus 15 or 20 ambient temps. Winfly can be cold. minus 40 to minus 60 on a cold day. minus 20 the rest of the time.

Neutron

@thepooles98 wrote:

I don’t think anyone thinks to have the archetechechs and engineers live here for a while before designing buildings. The doors on B155 and Crary open out. B155’s last upgrade put the northern doors right where a huge snowdrift forms. People couldn’t get out the doors in a storm. They re-engineered the landing and now there is an open covered walkway with no doors in front of the doors.

Ok gang, momentarily borrowing a page out of Glenn’s little black book of shameless self promotion… with decades of construction experience and a professional degree in Architecture, who’s in favor of my grabbing three hots and a cot in some dark corner of McM? As someone who studied architecture in VT. this seems like a “no-brainer” πŸ’‘ …but I think it’s worth several months of investigation…just to be thorough. All in favor, please signify by jiggling your mouse, or arranging a R/T ticket to McM via Cheech. (you never know when the HR folks are doing that Orwellian over the shoulder thing)
    Happy hump day everyone!
    Shameless self promotion now complete…Neutron, out.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Wow, USAP architecture. That’s a whole ‘nother can of frozen worms.

Instead of MCM/Cheech I think you should buy yourself a ticket to Hawai’i. That’s where Ferraro Choi And Associates Ltd. is located. They’re the architects for the new South Pole Station and, I believe, some of the buildings in McMurdo.

Please have a word with them about their use of metal sills and casements for the windows at South Pole Station, where it drops below -100F.

Thank you.

Neutron

@Sciencetech wrote:

Wow, USAP architecture. That’s a whole ‘nother can of frozen worms.

Instead of MCM/Cheech I think you should buy yourself a ticket to Hawai’i. That’s where Ferraro Choi And Associates Ltd. is located. They’re the architects for the new South Pole Station and, I believe, some of the buildings in McMurdo.

Please have a word with them about their use of metal sills and casements for the windows at South Pole Station, where it drops below -100F.

Thank you.

Oh dear, this is worse than I’d thought. 😯
    This sort of design spec. was probably conceived by the same guy who assembled the sign outside a nameless church that said,
    “Love God and others, It’s not Rocket Surgery.” Seriously… I’ve got he picture!
    I won’t speak too poorly of the unfrozen, but didn’t awarding a polar design contract to a tropics based design firm seem counter intuitive, on an intergalactic scale, to someone other than we all here? Yet further proof that you can always tell an (insert profession here), you just can’t tell’em much.
    So, inquiring minds want to know… the outdoor clothes line… you know, the one with the clothes pins that hold like 14″ NATO hardpoints?… did they locate that close to the laundry, or around the other side of the building, at S’pole?
    I’m just ask’in…
    Bill

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.