spidey’s what about list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    thepooles98
    Keymaster

So I understand there are no firearms or flame throwers in McMurdo, or even swords for that matter. What do you do if an alien appears that consumes people?
    You see the NSF rep. He is a US deputy Marshal

More than that, there always seem to be both large stations and dogs in these movies. I seem to rememeber reading no dogs since 1980? But maybe they were there in 82 for the Thing, but not for 8 below. Are there camps like the ones of either of these movies, or how big/small are the diving outposts or penguin ranch facilities?

Yes there are large camps and very small camps. Some with tents only, some with permanent structures.

No roller blades. It’s all volcanic rock. Wouldn’t work.
    Interesting, there isn’t any ice skating either. One person told me there is so much volcanic grit in the ice that it chews the ice skate blades up pretty good.

How evil is Karen’s gut buster regiem? Is it as bad as the PR makes it out to be? Can’t remember the campy name for her classes.

Evil, Guts and butts is the class and from what I can tell, it’s brutal.

I wonder if I could talk AC/DC into doing a performance on Ice for their Black Ice release, if the NSF would get them there and put them up. I’m not so sure that Morale incentive program is going to take off. Perhaps it would have to go through the Writers and Artists grant program. I’m sure it would be a long shot anyway, but they are based in Australia.

It would be a long shot, but ask them to appy for the artists andd writers grant.

Who was responsible for the short film “Waste Side Story”, that was quite amusing.

Probably the waste crew. I didnt see the movie

Why would the comptroller frown on dollar coins? I would think they would hold up better than paper.

If that is an Antarctic question, I don’t have a clue what you are referring to.

What do you need to do to get a spot as a bartender in the coffee house or one of the other establishments? How much work is that vs. what are the benefits? I’m thinking back to my stereo thread plus it would likely be a good way to meet people outside your job.

Just apply. There are lots of bartenders and you don’t get to do it often, but you are right it’s a great way to meet people. Lots of work and you stay up late and still have to go to work the next morning.

Boondongles… What types are the average FNG likely to have a chance at. Just a trip out to the airstrip, a remote camp, up to the rim of Erebus, Happy Camper, or a trip to a nearby curiousity such as an ice cave or something.

Hard question. Some get to go to neat places, some don’t. That’s the official take off of work boondoggles, that are given out to departiments by the chalet. Other things are very likely. Trips to ice caves, airfields, room with a view all possible. Almost everyone will get to go to happy camper.

Any chance of the store selling Goslings Black Seal Rum and Ginger beer for Dark and Stormys, or would that be a byo option?

Ginger beer is common in some years. Don’t know about the brand of rum.

How bad is the turn around for netflix?

Not bad for Antarctica. Probably three or four months in the summer. Won’t happen in the winter.

I haven’t seen a good breakdown of the dorms in terms of the pros cons an what you might aspire to. The main dorm is the most crowded w/ 4 to a room, the lowest seniority, but has the galley, the internet cafe, and a few other needed services? Is that 155? Others are more remote and might offer a tradeoff of quiet and more space to long hikes to other facilities? Are all people distributed evenly or are grantees and beakers segregated? Or are senior vs. FNGs likely to be in different dorms/floors?

Everyone gets housing points. You start off with automatic ones based on your job. Bigwigs get the most. Then your time on ice adds up more. First year people go to the most crowded dorms. Multi year people with more points get better options. The upper case dorms are considered the best. You generally need to have been down a few years or have a supervisory job to get these. The beakers are mixed into the dorms with everyone. The military people are in their own dorms as well as PHI helicopters and some of the airfield personell.

What’s the scoop on when you get the crud? Can you just call in sick or is more like the military where you need to go to the medics first thing and they tell you to go to work anyway or take bedrest?

A little of both, just like in real life. You can call off for a day or so, but after that you need a doctors excuse.

What about cheese? I seem to remember there was some bad news on that front. Cheese for your eggs? burgers? w/ crackers? sauce over broccoli?

Cheese is limited. A lot of people hand carry good cheese from New Zealand.

Are the veggies canned or frozen for the most part? I’m a big frozen fan when fresh isn’t available or is too expensive, but canned veggies tend to bring me down.

Almost all of it is either fresh flown in from NZ or frozen

Bacon, after cheese, everything goes better w/ bacon. Bacon?

Bacon at breakfast several times a week

How useless or makeshift are my northface, Bugaboo, LL Bean…. ski jackets as alternatives to Big Red. Always kept me warm in 20+ here, but thats here. (Can’t believe I own 6 ski jackets living in Florida but it wasn’t always that way).

Send down your favorite one. You will enjoy it in warmer weather.

Is a Ham radio license easy enough to get that I should make the effort, or is it only applicable if you have the passion?

Easy enough if you study. No more Morse code required, which has simplified it greatly. Make sure you get the General class or above, The technician class wont let you use the high powered radios. Mostly its a passion thing. You can call out on the telephone now anytime you like. The ham radio is hobby and emergency backup only. We have a fairly active group of hams that will guide you through the radios once you get down.

Is all TV prerecorded or do you get to see any live Football games? Any Fantasy Leagues on the ice?
    Mostly, but there are numerous live shows, especially the news. I’m not a sports fan, so I can’t tell you how up to date the games are.

How successful have been people been contacting maufacturers w/ the I’m headed to Antarctica can you send some of your product along with me line? Be nice to get some good golf clubs and dayglo balls sent down, or maybe some cool electronics.

Not likely, but it happens, so I would try as hard as you can. We once had ICOM send us some very up to date ham radios to try out.

If Humidifiers are really nice to have, what are the chances if I send a few down in August I would get one of them in Oct?

Most likely you would get them in oct. , but that said, science supplies get preferences. Once in a while the mail doesn’t get down till November.

Whats the story on off hours skill bartering? I read a bit about massages but I’m most likely to try to procure one, not give one. I have been known to read tea leaves for people, fix computers, teach computer application classes, repair Italian automobiles, write documentaion, and even dabble in the arts.

Lots of bartering. fixing computers would make you popular. repairing Italian automobiles might not get you anywhere.

I may have asked this one, but are there irons on the ice? The get wrinkles out of clothing type.

yes, but some people send their own. I don’t know why. Most people are wrinkled.
    M

spidey
    Participant

You rock Mike! Thanks for the goods.
    Just a few points I hope others join in on…
    The dorm thing. If you have been down it all makes sense, pick the one you like-where all your friends or people of like temperament are.
    But if you have no clue? What if the app I put in on a whim for Station Manager pans out and I hav elots of choices? Where should I live and why?
    Boondogles… I’ve read about a few and understand they are unpredictable, but any more examples?
    No Italian Autos down there? Guess I can’t send down my Wrangler either.
    No Blade hockey in the gym?
    I read about people watching a pre-recorded Superbowl a while back, what kind of sports are possible to watch live?
    The dollar coin thing was in reference to a guy who brought down about a 100 coins and the comptroller tracked him down and asked him to desist (though by then he was in CHC, though he promised not to do it again.)
    I need to see what companies I can talk into large format color inkjets and other photo reproduction mechanics are available. Might have better luck with that than Major Label recording artists.
    -Spidey

MightyAtlas

Don’t worry about what dorm to choose – your room is chosen for you by the Housing department.

We receive live TV thanks to AFN (Armed Forces Network). There’s a news channel (if FOX News counts), a sports channel (if you like watching lacrosse), and a compilation station of primetime shows (not everything is up-to-date). There’s also various scroll stations, and two, local movies-only stations. Add to that AFN radio, and NPR, and that’s our entertainment. Oh, there’s also ABC (Australian Broadcasting Company), BBC International, and an hour a day of news from New Zealand.

Other than that, you can dress up in women’s clothing, and entertain yourself.

I don’t think we’ve ever had anyone with a ‘comptroller’ title. We do have a finance person, though. Dollar coins have been accepted as the legal tender they are. They’re just a pain because they’re pretty unique down there (and in the States, too). Conversely, NZ has both $1 and $2 coins, and I love using them.

Yes, bring a light/medium jacket for the summer. I wear Big Red twice – on the way down, and on the way back (where it’s mandated that you do). In December/January it’ll be in the 30s-40s. Seriously.

There was one guy who had ice skates down there a few years ago. He used them on a frozen ‘pond’, alongside the road to Hut Point, behind where they store the fish huts.

Spidey – relax. You don’t need to know everything before you go down. Discovery is part of the fun. Besides, we could tell you EXACTLY what things are like, but all of your preconceived notions will be blown out of the water the instant you land. Really, they will. Enjoy the ride of uncertainty.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Atlas has a point. The advise we are giving is a compilation of many years. The reality is that with so many brand new people, each year is subtley different. The real story is that it’s the population itself that determines what the year will be like. If there are movers and shakers who take it upon themselves to help provide things for the population to do, then it will be an exciting year. If nobody steps forward it will be less so.

The other reality is that the people there are adaptive. If you mail down every convenience you have, you will be happy. If you come down with nothing and rely on what’s there and what people are doing, you will also be happy. If you are not adaptive, you will not be happy no matter what.

I see it a lot in the tradespeople who come down. Unionized super experts in their field. Used to going to the supply shops and getting everything they need to do the most perfect job. Get to MCM and there aren’t enough parts for this. It’s very frustrating at first, but most all relax and go with the flow. No 2″ conduit? Use 3″ and adapters to get where you want. If the only way to fix something is unsafe, nobody wants it done. You put the project on hold, put in special orders for parts and fly them down in 2 months. The project sits until then. Everyone is happy.

I wear big red every day. Atlas twice a year. I like the issue socks, some never wear them. Bottom line. Come down, be excited, watch the airplanes land on frozen ocean, wait to see if penguins show up this year, hike Castle Rock and Ob Hill, go to parties, stay home, watch movies ect ect ect. Take ineverything new and just enjoy the heck out of your stay .

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Oh, and your second year is even better. The first year half of it is taken up trying to figure out which way to adapt. The next year you hit floor running and knowing the things you like.

Speaking of adapting. The Atlas thread is at at 799. Nobody post there. We need to let Atlas do the 800th post. It’s only fitting that a man of his stature fill the position.
    M

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Spidey, your enthusiasm is remarkable. It makes for a good thread.

In a rare turn of events, however, I’m going to side with Atlas (Holy Guacamole!). Relax. Let some of it be an unexpected adventure.

Get hired.
    PQ.
    Go.

Everything else is secondary.

One of these deployments I’m going to pack only a carry-on bag, a camera and a smile. I’ll probably be happier that way!

(BTW, I hear the PQ now includes a mandatory Voight-Kampff test. So if you’re dreaming of unicorns this might not be the best career decision.)

spidey
    Participant

Atlas is correct, there is only so much you can read or ask about, but it all ends up being meaningless once you experience it for real. Like first love, eating ice cream, you name it.
    That being said, until I get of the plane, being pesky is the only way I have to somewhat satiate my curiosity. And god am I curious.
    You people are all so great for sharing what you know. If I haven’t said it before or enough, Thank You!

So what is it like on the ice?

-Spidey

PS Good to know about the Voight-Kampff test. I will be sure to study for it.

MightyAtlas

I see Roxannie didn’t read the note about not posting so I could have #800.

BTW, alot of the guys do look better in a dress and heels than Roxannie…

DedEye

@spidey wrote:

😆 😆

I’m glad you’re asking all those questions since I share at least 90% of them and love reading all the responses.

DedEye

@thepooles98 wrote:

So I understand there are no firearms or flame throwers in McMurdo, or even swords for that matter. What do you do if an alien appears that consumes people?
    You see the NSF rep. He is a US deputy Marshal

Oh that reminds me of a rumor I read about; isn’t he or the station manager supposed to have a gun in their office?

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Nobody will confirm the rumor.
    If we did have one, we wouldn’t want foreign forces to know where it is, in case of attack.

Reminds me of a story from my sailing days. Cabo San Lucas is full of young military guys standing on street corners with big machine guns. It’s intimidating. We were talking one day to an American who owns the fishing supply store and a big fishing boat. When the government needs a boat they use his. Seems one day there was a report of a ship offshore with smuggled immigrants. The police got him and they loaded all these kids with machine guns on board and headed out to intercept the boat. As the story goes, they didn’t trust the kids to have bullets and they kept the bullets locked up at the armory. Halfway out of the harbor, they realized they forgot the bullets and had to turn the boat around and go back to the safe at the armory.

Been There

Speaking of the Station manager/Special Deputy Marshall reminds me of a great TRUE store. At the start of one winter during and all hans meeting and individual asked the NSF Station Manager which specific laws he had the authority to enforce. The Station Manager, who is a Special Deputy Marshall, smiles and asked “Which laws you you concerned about?” 😆

BT

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

😀 Good one.

Last time I checked, there was still a bullet hole through the copper ball at the top of Palmer’s flag pole. (The ball is a toilet float, by the way)

I wouldn’t have any idea who did that. Nope, not a clue.

m0loch
    Keymaster

@Sciencetech wrote:

😀 Good one.

Last time I checked, there was still a bullet hole through the copper ball at the top of Palmer’s flag pole. (The ball is a toilet float, by the way)

I wouldn’t have any idea who did that. Nope, not a clue.

Glenn….I’m on a roll about the quirks of Antarctica now…..the fact that the ball on the flag pole is a toilet float is enough in itself…..I’ve got to go put an eyeball on that this afternoon….but bullet hole through it?

Spill the story!

m0loch
    Keymaster

@spidey wrote:

-Spidey

a week’s worth of “what it’s like on The Ice” all rolled up into one neat five minute package:

[flv:x311f0mc]http://www.vagabumming.com/video/bizzarecelebrations.flv[/flv:x311f0mc]

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.