spidey’s what about list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    thepooles98
    Keymaster

I’m moving this back to a seperate thread, so that we can concentrate on helping penguin get down here on her thread.
    Spidey left a series of questions about life on the ice in general. The answers are going to be somewhat different for each person. We have such a big diverse group of people on the ice that there isn’t enough space for everyone to do the same thing at the same time. And if you really want the scoop, when you get down, if you really want the scoop, find the bald headed guy sitting at the end of the coffee house bar every night at 7pm. He’ll steer you right.

Questions, here goes my side. There is a lot so it will be long.

And for others, any more input on the roomate story and what people do to get a little alone time?
    Roommates can be tough, but in general, most respect each other. For most you end up being friends with your roommates. When you come back a second year, you’ll have an opportunity to request roommates. The funny thing is that sometimes you get along better with total strangers who leave each other alone than you do with a friend who wants to share everything with you. There are strategies of course. One is to hang sheets or curtains around your bed. Sometimes a small cubbyhole where you can’t see the people in room fools your brain into thinking you are a thousand miles away. Headphones and music players help as well. Good rules up front as well. I don’t think of myself as a good roommate at least not if my roommate is single. My rule is that the room is not a social gathering spot. I come home by 730 and want quiet. Watch tv if you want but use headphones if I’m asleep. And don’t even think that if it’s after 730 at night that you will throw me out while you have a “guest”. Go to their room and throw out their roommates or find a hidden corner.

For alone time, there are lounges, coffee house, library, gym, hiking etc. Again a set of earphones with your back turned to crowds make you feel a million miles away. You’ll often find everyone around you doing the same thing.

And I’m still looking for more food info. What is the norm, what was a good meal, what was a soso.
    Ie; I rememer a great night with beef tenderloin, baked zita, baked potato bar, but of course the next night it was really dry meatloaf and musky smelling fish. Or one time they flew in a bunch of Fresh New Zealand Lamb and we ate like kings for a week.

As a general rule the food is always good, but it is cafeteria style. They hire true restaurant chefs to do the cooking and the result is that the food you get is comparable to commercial restaurant, cafeteria style. It’s a little like going to your favorite cafe and its free. Eat as much as you want. Good and you are eating with friends. You like it. Now see the same place, but you are going there for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Every day, week after week, month after month the same restaurant over and over. Get the point. Even with good food you get a sense of monotony. A couple of times a week, the bar has burger bar night. You get to pay money for a cardboard frozen hamburger patty, cooked to perfection the way you like. People will give up prime rib for a chance to do something different.

There are some less than good meals. In general since they have to please the pallates of a thousand people, almost nothing will be spicy. I like spicy mexican food. On those days half the population won’t eat it and will complain. I bring down tapatio sauce.

There are some really great meals. Thanksgiving and Christmas are special, but there is NZ lamb, crablegs, prime rib ect throughout the year.

Is there a listing of clubs? People who play bridge, chess, or golf outside? I could ship down a set of clubs and a bunch of florescent balls. Dance lessons or archery? Any type of language lessons or classes available?
    All of the above, except maybe archery. That might fall under the category of weapons that would not be allowed. I don’t know.
    In general, you will find all of the items you mentioned. The kicker is that they need people to be leaders of clubs. If nobody steps forward, it won’t happen. If you have an interest see the Recreation dept early on and they will help you set things up. Whatever club you or your fellow employees are willing to run, the station will usually back you. You will have to send down your own equipment for specialized items. The rec dept has a lot of stuff, but may or may not have something like bacci balls. You can ask before you go down. Some years they have a golf tournement out on the iceshelf. There is also an annual rugby game between the US and NZ bases. NZ pretty much wins every time.

What about yogurt? I’m trying to get back to my Marky Mark underwear commercial days and that seems to be helping as compared to the traditional Irish breakfast I lived on for so long.
    Breakfast is good. Fresh eggs and omelets made to order each day day. Yogurt is made fresh from a dry mix and culture.It’s available daily. It’s plain so you can add canned fruit. If you don’t want to wait in line for eggs cooked to order, they have a hot line with pancakes, scrambled eggs, oatmeal or cream of wheat. When we get freshie flights from NZ once or twice a week, weather permitting, there will be fresh fruit.

How about a movie theatre? There is a difference between a room of people and a big screen and a TV even if it is a big one.
    Only big screen tvs. The coffee house has a new HD tv with good sound and the seating is couches. Each of the dorms has a lounge with a big screen tv and vhs or dvd players. Every thursday night we have and old movie night in one of the upper case dorms. We call it the 40/50 club. We show movies that average 50 years or more old and average age of the people who show up are over 40 although anyone can come. The galley also has a big screen tv for science lectures.

Just how hot is roxie? How lucky do you have to be to get her to talk to you?

Rox is hot. Literally. She talks to me, so I must be lucky.
    That is such a great question that I think you should post a whole new “How Hot is Rox “thread. It could compete with the Atlas thread.

What is an after work walk to hut point like? Or where else would you walk to?

Hut point is my lunchtime walk. It’s a 2mile or so round trip. I can get there and back with a detour up the hill to Roll Cage Mary and still have time to down a quick lunch. It’s a better place to see seals and sometimes penguins once the ice starts to melt. The hut is Robert Scotts orginal Discovery expedition hut and is a historic monument. Volunteers through the season will open it up. The McMurdo walks are immensely scenic. You are either looking at the ice shelf with the transantarctic mountains or you are looking at Mount Erebus, the live volcano, smoking away. The scenery changes with the weather. You are not allowed out of town in condition 2 weather, but that pretty much means winds in excess of 50 miles and hour or so and visibility more than 100 feet in blowning snow. That leaves a lot of room for exploring. There are a couple of nice trails as well. Some like the Castle rock loop or Cape Armatige require a checkout, radio and two or more people. Others like the ridge trail , OB hill, or Ob Hill loop can be done alone once the summer starts. I don’t like hiking when it’s cold and windy, but others wait for that. Go figure.

How about some input on the unending sunlight?

It’s bizarre at first, but you get used to it. Nothing like coming out of a party at 1 in the morning and having to put on sunglasses because it’s so bright. I get into trouble if I get to chatting in the evening in a place with windows. The time can go fast and with no external clues, it can be midnight and you still feel like it’s 8pm. I block all light in my bedroom window. That gives me the feeling of nightime.

Dance scene? A lot of cool hip clubs and DJs?
    Can be. Depends on if you or someone else is willing to put it on. Go see recreation and vollunteer.

What are the three things you would bring with you
    As a first time person, you will want to bring down a halloween costume. Carry or mail, but be advised that sometimes the first batch of mail can arrive right around halloween or later. The halloween party is one of the most fun for the new people and old alike. I’ve long ago outgrown it.
    You will want to bring a music player, laptops are nice, and get a camera.

spidey
    Participant

Now we’re talking. Thats what I mean by dirt. Thank you very much Mike.
    Of course now I’m hungry. I do get that same place everyday thing. I remember my time in Germany and the Persian Gulf with the military and the repetition of provided food for the masses. I’m sure it was of a much lower grade than on the ice. I used to ask for my scrambled eggs runny so I could pretend there was cheese in them.
    But I’m starting to get a better picture of life at McMurdo.
    I do own the March of the Penguins, perhaps I’ll break that out again. I only ever did watch it once. I also seem to remember that one of the Laura Croft Tomb Raider movies has parts in Antarctica.
    Good to know about the Halloween costume. A new laptop and camera are already scheduled if an offer is made. Might invest in an ipod touch since the iPhone wouldn’t make too much sense. Maybe a set of Bose headphones too.
    ooh, and a spice cabinet. I’m big on seasoning.

Keep it coming!

-Pete

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Stop it, Rox, you know that kind of talk turns me on. I’ve wearing my leather teddy and I’m ready for you.

m0loch
    Keymaster

@IowaRox1 wrote:

I am a short, dumpy, mean, snotty, old broad with stringy black hair and bad skin. My purpose in life is to destroy dreams and piss off testosterone filled young men. I love crushing people under my heel and go out of my way to punch someone out for no good reason. To me, there is nothing like the satisfying “thump” when I kick puppy into a wall. I am the meanest, nastiest, most vile person you will ever meet. You’ll be lucky if I don’t spit in your face. I was fired from last job as a torturer at Gitmo because I loved my job a little TOO much. How hot am I? To f-ing hot! And I don’t talk to anyone. I insult them and try my best to destroy them. It’s all I live for. πŸ˜•

πŸ’‘ Hrrrmmmm….a new addition to the list of Antarctic acronyms – OAH – Old Antarctic Hag

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

So what’s the male version? OAF — Old Antarctic Fart?

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Spidey, most of what Rox wrote is true except she is tall not short.

Neutron

@IowaRox1 wrote:

Finally, the most important question:
    Just how hot is roxie? How lucky do you have to be to get her to talk to you?
    I am a short, dumpy, mean, snotty, old broad with stringy black hair and bad skin. My purpose in life is to destroy dreams and piss off testosterone filled young men. I love crushing people under my heel and go out of my way to punch someone out for no good reason. To me, there is nothing like the satisfying “thump” when I kick puppy into a wall. I am the meanest, nastiest, most vile person you will ever meet. You’ll be lucky if I don’t spit in your face. I was fired from last job as a torturer at Gitmo because I loved my job a little TOO much. How hot am I? To f-ing hot! And I don’t talk to anyone. I insult them and try my best to destroy them. It’s all I live for. πŸ˜•

SWEET MYSTERY OF LIFE, AT LAST I’VE FOUND YOU!!!
    I alway’s guessed I’d have to go to the ends of the earth to find my soulmate. Well…I guess I did, sort of…but as a self-described vision of Jabba the Hut in heels??? [swooning]
    Alas, the chances are overwhelmingly in favor of our unrequited destiny being to pass as but two ghost ships in the night. Oh, but were my lovelorn lament a siren song…
    Fortunately for Sciencetech, I can’t compete with a leather teddy.
    Oh well, back to blindly making espresso. πŸ™‚
    [attachment=0:1llnoy04]billthecat.jpg[/attachment:1llnoy04]

spidey
    Participant

This is all great stuff. Sad to see that Roxie has become such a heartbreaker. I suppose she always has been; comes with the territory.
    So a few areas I’m still hungry for more details on…
    A Typical day rundown. Think I got the meal part down, though I would think meals are likely to provide a good bit of socializing outside of your job.
    Are there any pianos there? I have a Midi keyboard but I’d love to avoid shipping that.
    On Roxie’s note what size are the beds? Twin, Full, or Double?
    What sort of laundry facilities are there? No drop off I’m sure, but are there irons and boards, starch in the store?
    With the personal effects weight limit, does everyone rotate through three outfits or do most bring more?
    Average temperature in the working areas (ie wear T-shirts or sweaters)?
    Shipping stuff from Christchurch. So you want to send over a bottle of booze, some coffee, some spices and hotsauce, maybe some bedding, whatever. What is the story on all that.
    And…..
    If all the stars align and they say ” Come on down! You’re the next contestant on the Ice is nice!”.
    You get a contract to accept, you move in with your local Dr and dentist, you then…
    Fly to Denver for 3 days prior to departing? Then everyone pretty much flies togther on American?
    Make your own way to New Zealand and get reimbursed?
    And a few tips on the phone interview (is there usually just one or what happens with that?)
    Danke!

thepooles98
    Keymaster

So a few areas I’m still hungry for more details on…
    A Typical day rundown.
    For almost everyone, work starts at 730. There is a required morning safety meeting and stretch that most do, but is ignored in some departments. Prior to that is breakfast. 530 or so to 730. All you can eat. It’s usually a social event as you will eat breakfast with the same group most mornings. Prior to that many people get up and go to the gym for a morning run. The gym can be crowded, so it’s not unusual to see people getting there as early as 3am. They go to bed early. Lunch is from 11am to 1pm. You get an hour off in that time frame. Some go to the gym or maybe hike a trail if the weather is nice. Work ends at530pm. Dinner lasts till 730pm. You can take your time and clean up and eat later or go straight from work. Other than no pajamas and bare feet, there isn’t a dress code. People wear whatever.

As a fngee, you will be at the mercy of the MCM social scene. Everybody, every night will be asking you to do something with them. It’s an interesting environment and you have to make choices. Me, I go to the Wednesday and Sunday science lectures, the thursday 40/50 club movie, play cards in the coffeehouse on Saturday and call home Sunday, Tuesday and Friday. That leaves Monday night to relax and be quiet. To do this I pass up all the parties and get togethers that you will find exhillerating your first year or two.

Think I got the meal part down, though I would think meals are likely to provide a good bit of socializing outside of your job.

Yes, I’d say that day in and day out it’s the easiest place to relax and enjoy yourself. You will more than likely eat regularly with the same group. Saturday evening you are allowed to bring beer or wine. People will sometimes dress up a little. The last few years it’s been Italian night with nice breads. Our group sent down cheeses, olive oils and other treats for that dinner.

Sunday brunch is nice as well, Lots of variety. We often get together with friends prior to brunch for Sunday coffee.

Are there any pianos there? I have a Midi keyboard but I’d love to avoid shipping that.

Two pianos, one in the chapel and one in the coffeehouse. There may be keyboards available through rec as well. That said, MCM seems to have the highest per capita musicians on the planet. Who could guess a tiny place like that could have so many bands. If you are musically inclined you may want to give it a try. They have a music band room with amps and equipment that you can reserve for an hour at a time.

On Roxie’s note what size are the beds? Twin, Full, or Double?
    Twin. Couples will put the beds together to make a double.

What sort of laundry facilities are there? No drop off I’m sure, but are there irons and boards, starch in the store?

Each dorm has a laundry. You do your own, no drop offs. There is a station laundry for housing. If you have something oily or hard to wash, like a comforter or parka, they will wash it for you. There must be irons. I don’t know of anyone who regularly irons anything. Can’t say I’ve seen starch. I couldn’t imagine that being a necessity. Does anyone else here iron and starch their clothing?

With the personal effects weight limit, does everyone rotate through three outfits or do most bring more?

Some travel light. Others not so light. I think if I were you, for the first year, carry enough clothing to last a month and mail down extra stuff. The mail might make it there before you, or it might be November. You never know. Don’t mail anything you need right away.

Average temperature in the working areas (ie wear T-shirts or sweaters)?
    Most work centers are comfortable–long sleeve tshirt or flannel shirts do well. Some are roasting hot. You’ll have to wait till you get down to find out.

Shipping stuff from Christchurch. So you want to send over a bottle of booze, some coffee, some spices and hotsauce, maybe some bedding, whatever. What is the story on all that.

Free. Just buy what you want and bring it to the Antarctic center. They will put it on a plane. Low priorty. It may be a while till you see it. There are some regulations. No Booze in the mail. Anything you bring down has to be hand carried on the plane. Items arriving on the ice may sit outdoors for a while. Protect items from freezing if needed by wrapping in bubblewrap etc.

And…..
    If all the stars align and they say ” Come on down! You’re the next contestant on the Ice is nice!”.
    You get a contract to accept, you move in with your local Dr and dentist, you then…
    Fly to Denver for 3 days prior to departing? Then everyone pretty much flies togther on American?
    Make your own way to New Zealand and get reimbursed?

The first option. Everyone goes down in groups together. Everything is paid including hotels in Denver and NZ. For a second season, some people will already be in NZ on an around the world ticket. Sometimes arrangements can be made so you don’t have to fly back to the states first.

And a few tips on the phone interview (is there usually just one or what happens with that?)

Can’t help you much on that one. It’s been years for me. Best guess though is to highlight your skills and concentrate on using your skills to make the program work better. Keep the I want to see penguins to a minimum.

spidey
    Participant

Thanks Roxie,
    Sounds the norm for an interview. I have a few good points to make. I’ll probably stress managing things during extreme scenarios (9/11 in NYC and the power blackout, setting up the permanent UN base in Kuwait, pottie training the kids).
    Just got the login to fill out the online stuff. Looks pretty straight forward. Too bad I can’t use all of you guys as people I know at Raytheon, or maybe its better not to know anyone.

Found some more cool info on the iceboard and on Darryn Schneider’s pages. Has this board taken over the iceboard? Didn’t see any new posts but there was some great stuff about cameras/photography.

Another thing I don’t know why I didn’t ask earlier. Working the concept of a yearly income. It would be great if the salary really allowed you to kick back the rest of the year but that does not look to be the case. Sounds like the Summer Forest ranger job is the perfect complement, but what do others do? Unemployment? Manpower?

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

@spidey wrote:

Found some more cool info on the iceboard and on Darryn Schneider’s pages. Has this board taken over the iceboard? Didn’t see any new posts but there was some great stuff about cameras/photography.

I’ve mostly shut down Iceboard. It was getting heavily spammed, and user traffic was too light to justify all the maintenance it required. I’m keeping the posts around for reference (glad you found them!) but otherwise directing people to this site.

Re., what do people do in the off season? The salaries are not really enough to sustain you through the rest of the year unless you’re extremely frugal. Most people do a combination of travel, live in a hut somewhere, couch surf, pick up a job back home, and yes, go on unemployment.

Neutron

@IowaRox1 wrote:

If you only knew how much I love Bill the Cat! Was a big fan of Death Tongue! Phhhhhht.

ROX ON!!!
    [attachment=0:3shr5xe7]bill of death tongue.gif[/attachment:3shr5xe7]

Oh, and Spidey…if you want a floor plan for a 30′ diameter yurt, I can share one.
    Think of it as a semi-portable condo-minimum.
    B.

spidey
    Participant

I might need that Yurt plan with what the housing market is these days. Can’t afford to walk away from my house unless thats what I literally do. But things are starting to look up.
    I’ll get that Raytheon online thing filled out tomorrow and hopefully it wo’t take too long for them to set up an interview. A week or so maybe?
    Then all I have to do is figure out how to pay the bills until the Fall.
    Anybody cruising through Florida anytime soon?
    Well, I’ll have to come up with some more “what about…”

Neutron

Freebasing little friskies…
    Thinking that ‘a mime’s a terrible thing to waste’
    πŸ˜‰

Ridgewood

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.