Some quick info on the program

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics Some quick info on the program

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    mechsoldier

No, I meant they gave me a salary quote in the beginning….and M0loch I’m not full of myself at all I’m just optimistic…

will
    Keymaster

Good luck!  I’m sure you’ll find this a fantastic experience!
    Shuttle Sharon

mechsoldier

I emailed them today because he told me to expect a response last week and I didn’t get it yet. He responded back with

“You know that we’re hiring for the winter season of February through October. Is this something you’re sure you’re interested in?”

I sent back something along the lines of

That’s fine I haven’t even unpacked the things I packed when I joined the army or signed an apartment lease yet. Now is great I’d prefer 13 month if you have it but if not that’s fine. You show me a contract with a dotted line and I’ll show you my signature.

Now I wait again

MightyAtlas

Just an FYI, Mech – Winter is real cold, and real dark.  You’ll only have 123 friends to keep you company, and you may have to volunteer as a snow shoveler, or a dish washer.

This is going to be the smallest population that the winter’s seen in quite a while.  We’ll all have 2-3 jobs to do.

If you’re still up for it, then good on ya.  I’ll be here for the duration.

atlas

mechsoldier

Meh…You mean I don’t have to pull 24 hour long guard shifts, guard Iraqi workers, or carry an 18 lb gun around all the time? 😉

Sounds like Iraq, only dark and cold instead of bright and hot. I’m used to doing extra things on top of my “job”. I just want them to send me the damn contract already. 🙂

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Hope the contract comes through Mech. Winter is  gentler than summer. Lots of space, but sometimes there is nobody else to do the hard jobs but you. Most enjoy it. Those who don’t usually are missing family back home. It doesn’t sound like you are in that boat. This place is going to be very corporate and probably not very military although we are a bit regimented when it comes to safety and paperwork.

Parts come in once a year on a boat. We’ve had the cutoff for this years boat.  Our supply line is longer than the military. Things that are being ordered now, won’t be here, unpacked and usable until at least April of 2008. It makes for a crazy time if you have to fix things. There is no way to have every part for every vehicle in reserve. On the other hand everybody understands the logistics problems. Mostly you will deadline the vehicle until the parts come in. If that doesn’t stress you then you should have an OK winter.
    Mike

mechsoldier

Sounds good, nope I don’t really miss my family except around the holidays. But, I haven’t lived at home since I was 18, so I haven’t lived at home for 4 years now, I’ve seen my family and friends for probably a total of 1 month all together out of that 4 years. So it’s not an issue.

So there’s no fabrication or anything if we don’t have the parts? That’s the fun part 🙂

thepooles98
    Keymaster

There is minimal fabrication. When it’s done it gets the machine rolling, but reorder parts no longer fit. It’s a catch 22.

Any more word on the job? I’m still rather surprised that anyone who isn’t already here is getting a winter job. There have been huge cutbacks for this year. Man that would be great for you if you got it.
    Mike

mechsoldier

Yeah who knows…maybe I’m not getting it. But I have hope.

And when I talk to this guy he makes it sound like they’re looking to hire me for Winter…So I don’t know. I’m just going to call him every Monday to tell him I am just checking on the status of my app and restating my interest in the position until he hires me.

mechsoldier

and yes I understand about the fab….but in the Army we normally will fab something up to work until the correct part comes in. On my personal car I just fab along until I can’t anymore 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.