So I’m hired…now what?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

i just got news that i got the job i interviewed for. power plant tech/ facilities engineer for winter over. i start training soon. as for the physical/dental exam, if i get issues i may have fixed now they shouldnʹt be problems when i take the real physical in a few months correctʔ anyway, iʹm really excited to get down there. hopefully my job doesnʹt get canceled, but it seems like that is the exception rather than the norm. thanks.-nate

Anonymous

helloǃ iʹm also a ʹʹnew guyʹʹ here trying to prep himself… in prepping for going down there i started reading online journals etc and have been surprised at talk of jobs being pulled, etc. i also was surprised at the pay/benfits offered for ʹʹexperienced professionalsʹʹ as well as some of the nickle and diming iʹve been told of (considering the wages being offered)… as for not having to ʹʹspendʹʹ money on rent etc maybe that works for recent college grads but some of us do have mortages, family health insurance, etc that have to be paid. yes, a big part of me applied for the ʹʹexperienceʹʹ but then again i am being hired to ʹʹworkʹʹ to the best of my trained abilities (at least thatʹs what one post said: ʹʹyouʹre not here to look at penguins, its hard work and lots of itʹʹ – if thatʹs the case the pay should match the job regardless of how many people may apply). so, are these all negative rumoursʔ would any of you ice-vets care to comment on the morale of mcmurdo in generalʔ i appreciate any and all responses – thanksǃ

Anonymous

if you need the surgury. do it now. often they require some amount of time after surgery before coming down. it varies a lot. a guy with a gall bladder removed last year was out for about 2 to 3 months. mike

Anonymous

thanks, so if i have to say, hypothetically, have a minor surgery and do that now i should be ok to go on the ice in october, assuming everything else is taken care ofʔ i know itʹs not as rigorous, but iʹm a truck driver and i just passed the department of transportation physical that basically says ʹʹwe donʹt think heʹll drop dead behind the wheel of a truck/bus/other commercial vehicleʹʹiʹm so excited, yeah i guess itʹs just an offer before i pass all the jazz. i better pass it, iʹd feel like a real jerkoff after i told all my friends iʹm going to the south pole. well thanks a lot everyone. i hope i can meet some of you in denver (if you arenʹt on the ice) in the next few months and spend a great year with you all on the ice.-nate

Anonymous

yup, mikeʹs right: get stuff done as quickly as possible. if nothing else, that way the pq is out of the way so you can relax.if you know youʹre going to have some issues to resolve (like filling cavities, for instance) itʹs good to do it now, before the exam. donʹt put off anything.when the medical/dental/drug test/hr packet arrives, donʹt panicǃ itʹs a huge stack of paperwork, but if you plow through it itʹll go quickly. my one suggestion about this stuff is to go to labcorp for the drug and blood tests, if thereʹs an office near you. you can do it at your local doctorʹs office or hospital, but in my experience they sometimes bungle the testing (labcorp has very specific requirements, and the paperwork is a huge headache for staff unfamiliar with it).and finally…congratulations on the job offerǃg

Anonymous

the next step should be hirerite( the background check).i think the next step this year is a drug test. after that they send full medical packet. the most important thing at this point is to get the medical and dental done as soon as possible. if you flunk for low iron, calcium etc, you not only need to have enough time for the initial test and evaluation but also for the evalution, the call for retest, time to make a new appointment, take the test, and time for denver medical to re-evaluate. there are many people who wait too long on the initial medical. they find themselves without enough time to finish up the secondary stuff before the deadlines. mike in mcmurdo

Anonymous

you rockǃ

Anonymous

yeah, iʹll be at pole. sorry for the confusion.well, bad news…i found out i have gallstones, i just figured iʹd be fine cause iʹve never had any symptoms, anyway…i found out today, the surgeon is trying to get me in for tonight, hows that for health care.ok so, 2 surgeries and couting to get down there, donʹt ever question my desire/dedication to do thisǃ-nate

Anonymous

o-kaaay. plumdog, cannonball, youʹre going to meet loads of interesting people. have fun. <ǃ-- s:wink: -->ʹʹ:wink:ʹʹ<ǃ-- s:wink: -->

Anonymous

ok, i just need to get a cavity filled, pass the psych test and iʹm pqʹd for 13 months on the ice. bitchinʹ-nate

Anonymous

cool. good job on getting everything taken care of early. i think you said you were being hired as a winterover. any chance you might come for the summer and do the full 12 month contractʔ

Anonymous

yep, iʹm for sure going for the summer, the winter isnʹt 100% yet, but from what iʹve been told iʹll almost 100% be on the ice in the winter, it just might be a bit of a different position. so if all goes well iʹll be down there from october ʹ05 to november ʹ06. iʹm in denver right now doing ʹʹtrainingʹʹ and more or less the office space thing for femc.-nate

Anonymous

iʹm guessing that you are the incoming project engineer for the powerplant/waterplant upgrade. they guy here now gives the impression that he loves it. iʹll see if i can get him to get in touch with you if he already hasnʹt. mike

Anonymous

nate,i thought you said you were coming to pole. no matter, everything that mike and glenn have said is still true–itʹs a great place down here. just that the ʹʹcollege dormitoryʹʹ is a bit smaller than mcmurdo <ǃ-- s:) -->ʹʹ:)ʹʹ<ǃ-- s:) --> the power plant is new–quite nice, and the current folks who keep it going are good people. hope to see you in octoberǃ

Anonymous

with the fire dept, summer (octoberʔ)… years ago (93) my father wintered in palmer sta., have been interested since then.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘Iceboard Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.