Snow chapel question….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hey, does anyone know who I would contact since I’m interested in volunteering as a Chaplain at the snow chapel? Is the chaplain usually someone already doing another job at the station? If you have a contact address please pass it along. Thanks, Russ (icenomad)

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Hello Russ,

To give you some background, the chaplin at McMurdo is typically a New Zealander, invariably a Catholic “father”. I believe it is a volunteer position, with a couple of them rotating through each season. There is most likely some kind of arrangement between the USAP and the NZ Catholic and/or Anglican church.

Just a guess, but I suspect they send Kiwis because it’s cheap — no transportation costs to New Zealand — and it’s good relations. In the past this has worked out very well. The pastor/father/rabbi/guru on station is responsible for organizing, possibly presenting, many of the multi-denominational services, as well as other counseling duties. A typical Sunday morning will have Protestant, Catholic, and Mormon services at various times. I don’t attend regular church, so I can’t say whether the priest gave Mormon services (for example), but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Okay, so that’s the framework that’s in place. Still interested?

If you can shoehorn yourself in, good on you! I don’t know who you would talk to about it, but if you continue to pester RPSC and NSF you may eventually find an answer.

Cheers,

g

PS – What the heck (‘scuse the vernacular) are you doing in India?
    😯

Anonymous

Thanks for the background info. It’s still in the dream stage at this point, wanting to find the most productive role for me that I could find there.

I’m working on a photography project of life in Ladakh.
    Stay warm, Russ

Anonymous
    Anonymous

Sorry to rain on the idea but Glen’s normally very on the mark comments are a bit off on this one. The Cathloic priest that works with McMurdo Chaplin is contracted from Christchurch and is not a volunteer position. Chaplin services for the USAP are provided through the Air National Guard. The ANG provides a Chaplin and also contracts for the Cathloic priest. Since the Guard Chaplins routinely work in remote locations when they are not at “home” it has worked very well. Most folks may not realize they are ANG personnel since they rarely wear a uniform and their “civilian job” is a chaplin anyway.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Ah-ha. Thanks Rep, I was hoping you’d weigh-in on this one. I stand corrected… and learned a bit too.

g

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Employment’ is closed to new topics and replies.