• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Has anyone used Skype?  I am assuming it would work fine like MSN or Yahoo.

MightyAtlas

Sorry, but Skype is not allowed to be used from the ice.  Our bandwidth is pretty precious, and some people weren’t playing nicely.

Anonymous

Too bad always someone to ruin it eh?  Thanks

brien

While Skype isn’t allowed on station, there are other options. Ask a buddy when you get here. The best option would be for USAP to set up a machine or two in the computer labs at MCM and SP for Skype/video calls and let people reserve a chunk of time (10 mins in summer, maybe an hour in winter) to chat with friends and family. That would be a very nice service to people on the Ice. It could then be controlled and optimized for bandwidth, even if it was just one or two days a week as in the old days with phone calls. Would be nice if USAP could think out of the box once in a while.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I think I agree with the IT persons on this end. During the winter and maybe Winfly it could work if they wanted to hire a person who would do the scheduling and take care of the issues. I don’t see that happening.

In the summer, even with the increased bandwith over the last year, the internet is just too slow to actively add more things to it. Pretty much you hit the enter button and you have just enough time to run to the bathroom before the next page pops up.

MightyAtlas

Two words:  Phone Card.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.