Sky during the summer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    TheORKINMan
    Participant

Just curious, do you ever get to see the southern hemisphere stars during a summer tour or is it pretty much always daylight/dawn/dusk with no night for the entire 4-5 months?

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Good question. It depends…

At South Pole, nope. Daylight all the time.

At McMurdo, most ‘main body’ people (Oct-Feb) won’t see many stars, if any. Anyone who comes in at Winfly (Aug) will have some good skies for the first couple of weeks.

At Palmer, the deployments are typically 6-7 months, Sep-Mar. The stars are out until about October and then re-appear in February-ish. I’m looking forward to seeing them again… if it ever clears up.

When you re-deploy you’ll go back through New Zealand or Chile. There’s always stars there.

TheORKINMan
    Participant

Sweet, this is the year I’m really gonna try and make a push to get a position somewhere down there( Preferably south pole but I’ll take what I can get 😛 ). Seeing the southern hemisphere night sky without much light pollution is one of the touristy type things that makes me want to go.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

If you want to see the sky, what you really want is a winter contract. McMurdo is a little warmer. -20 to -40 for most of the winter. That’s warm enough to actually go outside and play. The night sky there with no light pollution is one of the most awesome sights on earth. Throw in a few meteorites and an aurora display and your breath gets sucked away. While we loved to see the sun at the end of the winter, it was also very sad that you might never see that night sky again.

TheORKINMan
    Participant

Yeah I just put in a ton of applications to PAE for what I believe are winter positions. Fingers crossed! GHG is still barebones but PAE seems to have a good amount listed.

trumpetguy25

I would recommend starting with a summer contract only if you haven’t been down there before. You could probably pick up a winter contract while you’re down there. I haven’t personally worked a winter (yet?) but came super close…as in, telling my supervisor that I’d winter if my flight off the Ice was cancelled the next day.

Unless PAE does the completion bonuses differently than Raytheon, picking up a winter contract down there works to your advantage. If you START with a winter contract, get down there, and realize it’s not for you and bail at the end of the summer, you fail to complete your contract and don’t qualify for the bonus. If you start with a summer contract, that’s plenty of time to get the feel for things before you’re trapped down there. If you pick up a winter contract while you’re down there and end up not PQ-ing for the winter or back out for one reason or another, you still get contract completion for your summer (assuming you complete that).

Listen to the vets in your orientation group and read the crap out of this board. I had the pleasure of going down with Mike (the other guy responding to you….HI, MIKE!) and a bunch of other awesome folks. They saved my butt and made sure I was squared away for EVERYTHING. And their stories were awesome.

Anything I can do to help, lemme’ know.

-Brandon

TheORKINMan
    Participant

Well I’ve gotta get an offer to go first for any season before I can pick and choose what I’m going to do 😉 I plan on hawking PAE and GHG in Feb/March to look for Antarctic summer positions as well.

I’m curious if anyone has any insight on these things:

1) I realize unskilled positions receive hundreds of applications, but does that bleed over into the more skilled IT positions as well?

2) For those that have worked in IT areas. Is there anything that you can suggest that may help a resume stand out that a person can do while working on getting to the ice? I have 5+ years experience, 1 and 1/2 bachelors, a CCENT I’m about to turn into a CCNA in a couple of weeks, Sec+ cert and ICS 100/200 from FEMA as well as FEMA’s PDS certificate(I am considered essential emergency staff for the state government so I have to have all that FEMA stuff for EOC work). What else do you think might be beneficial? (CPR certification, Wilderness First Aid etc…) or does that type of stuff not really play into things for these types of positions?

3) Thanks a TON for the active replies and lending your knowledge to those of us who haven’t made it yet! I certainly really appreciate it as a hopeful 😀

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

@TheORKINMan wrote:

1) I realize unskilled positions receive hundreds of applications, but does that bleed over into the more skilled IT positions as well?

Not so much.

There are far fewer applications, but there’s a lot of returnees. Usually very competitive. However, I know that some positions were hard to fill for this coming winter. If you can find the name and email address of the GHG hiring manager and send them a resume directly, not just going through the online process, you’ll probably have a leg up.

@TheORKINMan wrote:

2) For those that have worked in IT areas. Is there anything that you can suggest that may help a resume stand out that a person can do while working on getting to the ice? I have 5+ years experience, 1 and 1/2 bachelors, a CCENT I’m about to turn into a CCNA in a couple of weeks, Sec+ cert and ICS 100/200 from FEMA as well as FEMA’s PDS certificate

That’s good stuff. Windows Server management experience? That would really help.

Tailor your resume for the job, and have someone critical proof-read it.

@TheORKINMan wrote:

What else do you think might be beneficial? (CPR certification, Wilderness First Aid etc…) or does that type of stuff not really play into things for these types of positions?

For IT positions that usually doesn’t matter. But all things being equal between you and another candidate, it might give you a slight boost (so I put that stuff at the end of my resume in lieu of any lifestyle or career goals tripe).

Good luck.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.