Sir Edmund Hillary

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Been_There

For those of you that have not heard, Sir Edmund Hillary pasted away January 11, 2008.  He was the first leader of Scott Base and reached the South Pole, driving farm tractors, on January 4, 1958,  fifty year and seven days ago!  
    I was at McMurdo several times during visits by Sir Ed and was always impressed by his willingness to speak with all who approached him and his desire to share his love of adventure.  He gave a wonderful talk at McMurdo one Sunday evening and I lost count of how many people were in the dining hall to hear his talk.   A special evening for sure.

BT 

thepooles98
    Keymaster

He will definitely be missed. I attended his last talk in the galley at MCM back in 04. What a site. The line went out the door around the building and outside. I heard it said once that he always welcomed ice people who showed up at his door in NZ.
    m

Been_There

Mike,

Boy do I remember.  The Fire Chief was concerned about the number of people in the room….I said we would not turn anyone away as long as we had space.  I lost count at 700!  When Sir Ed finished his canned remarks and started telling stories it turned into a magical  evening.  A great individual who set the bar high forthose that follow.

BT

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

He had amazing stamina even at that age. I was there for his 2004 visit too, we took a group shot with him and the science staff.

I don’t think he liked people calling him “Sir” (from the knighthood), his response was always “call me Ed”. He came to McMurdo/Scott Base in 1997 around the same time that Bourge Ousland skied unsupported and solo across the continent. I have a postcard with both their autographs — one of my favorite Antarctic treasures.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

One think I’ve noticed is that there is almost nothing in the news about his Antarctic adventures. For me that’s what I think of the most. He will always be an OAE first in my book.

Been_There

Mike,

I guess the mountaineers relate to him via his Everest fame.  Those of us that can relate to being the first leader at Scott Base and have enjoyed the friendships with our mates over the hill know him as a special individual who set the standard for the wonderful relationship that continues to this day between McMurdo and Scott Base. 

BT 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.