Shout out from the Pole

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    will
    Keymaster

Just wanted to say HEY. And thank you all for all your help getting my butt down here back in August-October. Thanks.

1 month til mid winter!!!!
    5 months til first flight

Dan

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Thanks Dan.
    Step in now and then help some of the new ones coming in. Several have been hired and they will want ideas on how to pack and what to do.
    Mike

Makesure to bring vitamin E cream, lots of it. Dryness is a real pain there and when you have a runny nose or such, you can use tissue as soft as you can find and it will still rub your nose raw so for your fingers, toes in boots and nose, bring cream. Always remamber to have some good shoes and boots as nobody wants to work in Bunny Boots all day long. Not an advertisement really Mike but, I always get my boots through bamason online and I have had 2 pairs down there which have survived 3 seasons of hard use with no signs of wear on them, very warm too. Some dress clothes for formal occasions as well as craft and hobby supplies, nothing worse than when the stitching club runs out of wool and your thermals are growing shorter daily. I would strongly suggest getting a set of silk thermals for working or hiking outdoors, very lightweight and vry warm if you get a good set. Hundreds of other things but thats all that mt desert fried mind can come up with now.

Live, love and leave no harm.

Lucky.

MightyAtlas

…and no need to bring condoms down – Medical provides them free of charge. 

They say they’re regular size, but they seem really tight, and maybe a little short.

🙂

atlas

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

No no, those are the little rubber finger grippers they use for flipping through papers.

:->

MightyAtlas

Damn, stupid me.

I’m surprised they keep hiring me back…

a

DeSoto

Hi Glenn & Atlas,
     Yes, we do have condoms and finger cots in the medical supply room.  The finger cots do come in many sizes, only one size in condoms. Atlas,  do I need to request  a special order of another size for you?????  Have a nice day guys.

Susan

MightyAtlas

Hey there, Susan!

Thanks for the offer, but I usually bring down a supply of my own.  Of course, I still haven’t opened up the box I brought down in 1998.   

How’s life with you?  Anything exciting?

a

Marshak2

hey Susan, Lucky, Atlas!

glad to know ya’ll have ‘finger cots’ as I have a desk job this upcoming summer (was switched from VMF supply to MET)! Atlas, you may not want to toss out those raincoats as they may be newer than the ones at McM..hardee har…I always wondered, who is taking all those condoms? The women’s restroom in 155 would have an overflowing bucket at noon, and by 1:00pm would be empty! Maybe they were being used for someone’s MAAG project???

Susan, are you coming back in medical supply?

Lucky is right: no scrimping on warm, waterproof footwear….and a daily daub of vaseline up the proboscis is a must…

can’t wait to see ya’ll again!

Marsha
    (currently in Oaxaca, looking forward to cold)

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

> ….and a daily daub of vaseline up the proboscis is a must…

oooh, the proboscis. so that’s what I’ve been doing wrong all these years…

😉

DeSoto

Hi Marsha,
       Yes, I will be working the same job, EH&S materialsperson.  You should really enjoy being at MET.  Are you leaving Mainbody or Winfly? Do you have a roommate selected???

Hi Atlas,
      No, nothing new here in Oregon.  Finally, today was a summer day, we have had a lot of rain….but…then we like the fresh rivers and the green grass, so I guess there are trade-offs.   I am PQ’d for the summer, received my notice on Friday, I will be going down at Winfly. Hey, when should I start mailing? 
    Hi to you Glenn.  Mike, how are things going?

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Hi Marsha and Susan. Not much to report here. Sort of a boring winter. No auroras, no fights, no problems. Just work. I’m running a trip to Castle Rock on Friday with the two other guides. This is a new one. 15 people start hiking. We come by an hour later with the vehicles and pick up anyone who is cold and drive them out. Everybody gets a ride home at the end of the night. This one filled up fast. There is an option to not hike at all and just drive out with me. I would have thought only a few would hike, but all but two are planning on walking.

It’s pretty much dark all the time now. The  southern cross is overhead at noon and the Scorpion is over ob hill at dinnertime. We have yet to have a storm. Very cold though. We’ve had numerous condition 2 for cold days.

Hope all is well your way. Oaxaca? Isn’t that hot hot hot at this time of year? You are going to have a hard adjustment, Marsha.

Oregon, it’s an easier transition.
    Mike

MightyAtlas

Sounds like it was a good winter to miss, huh?  Talk about boring… 

There’s still plenty of time for a medevac, though.  🙂 

I’m planning on being there next winter to spice things up a bit.  How sad, though, it will be sans the Pooles.  🙁

a

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Well talk about Murphy’s law and bad karma all in one. After writing about no storms yesterday, we woke up to a condition one storm this morning. Sort of a lame condition one. It was for visibility. Still you couldn’t see 155 from the dorms. Pretty much stuck in the dorms till 9am this morning.

Maybe this will spice things up a bit.
    Mike

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

I think we’ve been getting your weather, Mike. For the past month Palmer’s had raging storms, one after another, for days at a time.

For the past couple of days the weather has been nice — finally. Sounds like it moved to your side of the continent.

glenn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.