Saying Hello to you all

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hello all you travelers!

I just wanted to let you know that I am trying to get a job there – and so am watching your posts – watching and learning.

I appreciate getting to peek at what you are going through as first timers – and the help that is given.

Best wishes – and hope to join you next season.
    LittleChipper

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Hi LC –

Have you applied?

glenn

Hi,
    Yes I have applied.
    Now I am waiting on the job fair in the spring (in Colorado).  I also have a friend who is down there now.  (Hi Bill).  He is to hand deliver my resume!

So for now – I watch and learn.
    When the time is right – I will be there!

LittleChipper

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Ok LC
    As the time gets closer. Start filling us in on your progress. I’m sure you’ll get tons of help along the way.
    I just met most of the new summer crew tonight.
    Nomad, and Banana Melissa were the latest. We’ll be planning a coffeehouse night for all of us when Melissa gets off of evening shift. LC you’ll be here before you know it.
    Glenn, when are you due in MCM.
    cheers
    Mike

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Hola Mike,

Just got back from Palmer, lugging suitcases full of those yummy Peninsula-side bananas. Been home for a whole two days and still haven’t unpacked, but scrambling to catch up on everything.

My deployment has been in flux but I think I’m ticketed now. If all goes according to plan (ha, I laugh) I should arrive MCM on Nov 3rd and probably stay for just one night. All weather- and sanity-dependent, of course.

glenn

skua77
    Keymaster

G,
    Doesn’t sound like you’ll have much time to get a tan.
    I once traveled from Pole to Palmer in 14 days (via the normal routes) but traveling east I had the dateline in my favor.

It wasn’t after a winterover either, so enjoy those bananas while you can (don’t bring Antarctic fruit into NZ like I did….)

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Glenn, so far the Pole flights are really backed up. Lots of polies around doing odd jobs to keep busy. Seems the temps are still in the -50 to -60 range.

I talked with GIS Jess the other day. She wants to be part of the group to say hi.
    See you next week
    Mike

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,
    Yeah I was watching the Pole temps up until last week while I was at Palmer. -78F was typical. Yo! Not surprised they’re backed-up in Mactown, but maybe the ice-jam will break free soon.

So what’s the word on stop-overs on the way home? Two years ago we could stop at Fiji or Hawaii, I think it was for free or perhaps $50. Has that changed, or are there other options now? I’m trying to decide what to pack (specifically, should I bring my scuba gear?).

g

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Glenn, No word on the summer stopovers. Winter always allowed you lots of flexibility. I’d pack my stuff and leave it in cheech.
    Mike

skua77
    Keymaster

Glenn,
    I found that the airlines have cut back dramatically on the quantity and weight of baggage they allow. Between my flight down (1/05) and return (1/06) they cut back from 3 free bags to two. So check with them….scuba gear is heavy.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Hiya Bill, Mike. I’m in Denver, orientation is tomorrow. No scuba gear; decided to backpack on the way home instead.

Still hearing that things are backed up, in chch now too. Maybe we’ll have a few extra days to hang out at Bailey’s?
    🙂

g

MN-Sparky

Hey Glenn….im not sure if you checked with the airlines yet but, many of
    them do allow extra baggage space for scuba gear but its a little spendy and
    they seem to offer NO insurance for it in case it gets lost or stolen. My
    home-owners insurance company told me they cover our scuba gear if its
    normally stored in our homes. That was a relief for me to hear but its too
    bad the airlines take so little responsibility for what happens while in
    their care.

Rick

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Cool, Banana Melissa is on morning shift. It’s time to get everyone together at the coffee house. Are you on the Tuesday flight now? Send me a note to my usap email and I’ll pass it on to everyone else.
    Mike

I would recommend The Bog which is 2 blocks south and 1 West of the square, better music and the new layout of Baileys has removed a lot of room there. Still good for the days but the nights are less interesting there now.

I hope you all have a good time there, its nice weather or at least, a little warmer than here right now.

Lucky.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.