Rayjobs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    etc3

Hi Guys,
    I have been applying for jobs at the Rayjobs site since early July and appled for more tonight. (Think I put in for 14 now) But to no avail.  Do the HR people look at these things or is a computer filtering it all out. And when should I give up the ghost for this season?  Is there a better way to contact HR or will that just lessen my chances if I contact them directly? Any insider tricks will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    etc3

wiczster

Hello there,
        Join the gang of hundreds that have applied on line and to no avail…apparently. I have been applying for the past 3 years. I’ve been told it is good to get to a job fair and talk to someone from Raytheon. I believe the hiring for this season is done. They’re already heading on down to the ice. Lucky them. Scroll back through previous discussions and you will find some helpful information. Especially messages from “thepooles98.” He is the manager of this site. But a very busy individual too.
                            Rick

thepooles98
    Keymaster

etc3
    Don’t give up for this year. It could happen, people drop out all the time. I think I read someplace that they get 10000 or more apps they have to winnow down to 1000 or so offered contracts. Primary and Alternates are selected for each job.

Once you get a contract you have to pass a physical. If you don’t pass the job goes to the alternates. If they drop or don’t pass the physical, then it’s back to the database.

In general, you are lumped into the masses with no way to shine above everyone else that has written a stellar resume.

While the management says it’s not necessary. Most of us have maintained that people who 1)go to the job fair, 2) impress somebody enough to want to look more and 3) get permission from that person to keep in touch, have a tendancy to have their names brought to the top of the list. Still if you aren’t qualified, more qualified people will get hired first. If, however, everyone else backs out and they are scrambling for anyone, and you happen to call that day, you oftentimes will be looking very good.
    Good luck
    Mike

will
    Keymaster

I’ll second Mike in saying that it’s not too late to get an interview for an opening. I had a phone interview just two weeks ago for this year’s deployment. I’m now in the process of PQ’ing, which I’m hoping will be ok. I’m not sure how long it will take for HR and medical staff to review all the tests and paperwork, but considering the ever-narrowing window between now and October, it will hopefully be soon.

kimberish

I can testify to late hirings too. My first year on the Ice, I wasn’t even considered for a position until mid-August. I was interviewed in mid-August and hired about a week later. I was hired as an alternate DA (Dining Attendant), but I did get down to the Ice that year and that got my foot in the door for the following years.

If you can get hired as an alternate to any job, that gets you physically qualified and ready to fill any position that opens up, not just the position you were hired as an alternate for.

etc3

Thanks to all for the info… Hope to run into some of you on the ice if not this season then posibably/hopefully next. But I fear that hopes are lost for this year. As a last effort I put in for every “helper” job that I might be hip to but didn’t change my last resume. Worked hard on that one and I’m stickin with it…  

I might be able to swing a letter of reference from Dr. Lonnie Thompson, glaciologist and Distinguished University Professor at The Ohio State University, who was awarded the 2006 National Medal of Science…. If you think things like that might help my chances. I have not added anything to the rayjobs site except 3 or 4 or 5 resumes. I read (after applying for 6 jobs) that the resume should be job specific. True or False?

Also Question 2.  Can I  P.Q. now without an offer or should I wiat?  Havn’t turned and coughed for a couple of years and it might be bout that time… but if it wont help my chances then I might put it off longer.

Wait Question 3. Rayjobs convention in Illinois commin up… Latinos for Hire Career Fair, Wednesday, September 26, 2007… But I’m not latino. Worth the drive or just wait?  I do enjoy a good salsa, but like all latino dances I am forbidden to dance them.  

Thanks
    etc3

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Not sure about the Rayjobs convention. The one you want is the one specific to Antarctica. At all the other job fairs the HR dept does the talking. At the Denver job fair, it ‘s the dept heads. They are the ones you want to meet.
    As I said earlier, just going there doesn’t get you much, you need to impress someone enough to allow you to stay in touch.
    Between now and then all you can do is wait, if you can find a way to break through all the better.

The PQ form is a specific form with specific instructions that depend on your age and job. Might as well wait and find out what hoops you have to jump through.
    My initial this year was a battery of drug tests, a standard exam, a 12 lead ekg, an excercise stress test and a few other minor things. After the results of the ekg went in they asked for a heart test where they inject you with radioactive dyes and track it. 3000 dollars, which I’ll be reinbursed on. Still you wouldn’t want to spend all that money unless they call for it and will reinburse.
    M
    M

etc3

Wow, 3 Grand!!!  EEE-Godz and little fishes…I heard about the reinbursement part but I had no idea of the PQ being so HIGH… Here’s one for you. Did you have to frount the $3,000 or can you be billed and then bring the bill to Ray?  I don’t think I could get that type of money if I sold a kidney, but if I could, I probably couldn’t get to the ice because I’d only have one kidney.

Let me know the ways to finance the PQ… I mean just incase they do offer me a job… or secondary.

peace
    etc3

will
    Keymaster

Etc3,

For a healthy person whose test results all come back within normal limits, typical PQ costs will be much lower. If you don’t want to pay for it yourself, you can usually have it done in Denver & billed straight to Raytheon. I doubt that would work with extra diagnostic testing, though – there’s probably not an arrangement with a lab who does that sort of thing.

As far as I know, most people either write a check & wait to be reimbursed, or throw it on a credit card & pay when they can. Just be careful not to get yourself into anything you can’t afford in the meantime, and make sure you know which charges you’ll be getting paid back for. Some things commonly required (like wisdom tooth removal) are not covered.

Erica

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Going to denver to have the pq done is an option. It’s pretty much no cost up front for anything. Downside, You have to get there and you need a place to stay. Travel to and from is not covered at all. After being in the program for a while you often times know someone who will put you up. On the other hand, if you have it or can charge it, you eventually get it all back.
    On the dental, they will just cover the exam and x-rays. If you need dental work, you pay yourself.

kimberish

Just an FYI here … a lot of people think you HAVE to have your wisdom teeth removed to go to the Ice, but that isn’t true. I have mine! They just need to be fully erupted (is that the right word?) and not have any problems.

And if you have your wisdom teeth, whenever you get Xrays for the program, you need to tell the technician doing the Xrays to shove the film way to the back of your mouth to show all of those wisdom teeth – the technicians never want to do that because they think they are hurting you (doesn’t bother me a bit)! Raytheon will keep sending you back to the dentist for more Xrays until they get a full view of those back teeth – believe me – I’ve been through it!

My first year, I had to go back for more Xrays 3 times! Now I’ve got it done and just tell the technician up front that I need a full view of those back teeth no matter what!

etc3

I’m learning a lot about the process of P.Q.’ing… and even touched base with my friend who is going threw the process right now for a Alternate spot. So the money part (for the most part) is no worries. But the BIG stopping point is still no offers. My Friend has now sent me some contact info of the hiring managers but I am reluctant in contacting them because I don’t want to come off as begging. Which no matter how professional I’d sound I would be doing just that. How does anyone even know that there are people who looked at their Rayjobs profile? And does anyone ever get the “No you will not get a job this season”.  The hopein’, wishin’, and prayin’ thing is driving me crazy.  I can handle rejection… but the not knowing is the worst.  And time is a tickin.

To cold call or not… This is my Question… Does the squeeky wheel gets the greese or will I come accross as a stalker?  I know that most of what I’ve said is already been said in this group… But after talking to my friend I just wanted to vent a bit… Thanks to all who feel my pain. And Sorry to those whose don’t need there shoulers cried on anymore.

peace
    etc3

05Tizoc

Etc3,

I made a joke of it. I used to call my hiring manager every two weeks and say, hey, this is me calling to harass or stalk you again electronically. Just doing my part to keep me in the forefront of your mind because I’m still really interested in the opportunity.

Granted, I had met the man on the Job Fair, but I did get the job and pulled a very enjoyable 13.5 month stint on the ice.

I know many people who have called and called…the trick is, don’t call every day, and be honest…you want to the job and they (management) probably would prefer someone who wants to be down there and is eager to be down there…You have to stand out.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I’m with Tizoc
    You do not want to be a stalker or a pest. You have a name, but not of someone who has invited you to call. I guess there is no harm in putting out feelers. Just be cognizant of whether the call is welcome or not.
    M

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Another note. You should be resonably qualified for the jobs you are calling about. IE. If you worked in the electrical dept at Home Depot, but never actually wired anything, don’t be calling on electrician jobs.
    M

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.