Questions n' stuff

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    will
    Keymaster

I am planning on applying for work with Raytheon in Antarctica after I graduate from college next year.  Do they hire many people strait out of college?  Also to what extent do they allow their employees to venture out and explore the area?  For example, I enjoy Alpine Mountaineering,  would I be allowed to climb some peaks in the Royal Societies range?  Also … how is the nightlife? hahah

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Brad, they hire many people, college, no college, doctors, lawyers etc. The problem is that most of the jobs here are support jobs for the base. In general the bulk of the jobs are trades related. It’s easier to be hired as a plumber than as an accountant. It’s always supprising to me how many lawyers come here as janitors etc. As for adventure. To the extent that you are thinking the answer is no. Safety here is a key part of everything that goes on. In general if someone gets hurt they can be stitched up in the medical office, but hospital care is anywhere from 3 days to a week or more in the summer and not available at all in the winter months. If you are already and experienced mountaineer then you should try out for the primary SAR (search and rescue) team. You will get some serious practice that way. For the rest of us it is generally a hike out on the glaciers along a flagged route that weaves it’s way around the crevasses. Your chances of getting to the Royal Societies are nil unless you are part of one of the science groups that have a grant to study there.
    mike

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Brad, another thing. Lots of night life here. The recreation dept holds plenty of parties, events, dances, live bands, etc. Plus lots of individuals do their own “rec” events for the community. Follow some of the photo albums on the front page and you’ll see the Clark and Mike Adventure trips that I do along with one of my friends. There are people teaching spanish and french, a toastmasters club, lots of people doing cards and gaming of one type or another (ie trivial pursuit backgammon etc) at the coffee house. There are two “nightspots”. Southern Exposure, for smokers and Gallagers for everyone else. Often times people will form bands to play there. Recreation can provide a lot of musical equipment, but plenty of people bring their own. Working 6 days a week 9 hours a day leaves not much left over time for play, but when you want to play there is plenty to do.
    mike

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.