Questions from the new guy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BigJakesrq

So I have been doing my fare share of research trying to figure out how I’m going to get to McMurdo. I had an amazing chance a few years ago when they were building another station down there and I passed it up like an idiot. See I operate a crane for a living and that is pretty unique skill. I had sent application in to Raytheon and they contacted me but because of some things going on in my life at the time I passed up what ever they were going to offer.

To the my questions.

1. I have a extensive background in heavy equipment. Both operation and maintenance. What would be the best way to go about trying to apply for such a position doing something alone those lines down there? I know I have to go through Raytheon, but is there some one I should be talking to? I’m looking any kind of edge I can get.

2. What should I be doing between now and March(recruiting season) to give me an edge over everybody else?

3. I’m all ears and if there is anything you want to tell please do. I’ll take all the help I can get. Thank you for any input at all. I love this board and think I’m going to be spending a lot of time on here.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Hi BigJake,

There’s quite a few heavy equipment jobs, both at McMurdo and South Pole, so you’re in a good position to start.

> 1. What would be the best way to go about trying to
    > apply for such a position

Apply online like everyone else, but also try to make to to a job fair. RPSC may have multiple job fairs in the spring, not just in Colorado (you’ll have to wait until the locations/dates are posted).

> 2. What should I be doing between now and
    > March(recruiting season) to give me an edge over
    > everybody else?

You’re doing it. If you need dental work (to help you pass the physical) it might be good to get that out of the way; it won’t help you get hired but may expedite the process if they do make you an offer.

Hi AC – probably not a good idea to post names and email addresses on this board. Better to PM users privately. …Just lookin’ out for you…

Yea, thought about that after posting. I think there is a way to delete, I’ll try.

BigJakesrq

AntarcticChong I get the feeling there was something your were trying to tell me….. If so you can email me @ Bigjakesrq@yahoo.com

That goes to anybody who has some kind of info for me that thinks that its a bad idea to post it here.

Thanks to everybody that has replied

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.