Question concerning applying for the first time

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics Question concerning applying for the first time

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    tehashi

Hello all;
    I recently submitted several resumes with Nana Services for some positions i would like to work at McMurdo Station. Since applying i have been reading as much as i can about the jobs and the station, like these forums, USAP website, the 2009-2010 participant guide, etc..

My question then is will there be any problems getting hired, and getting equipment if i am hired, due to ones size? I will admit i am a big guy and i usually wear 3xl shirts. Will this disqualify me? or will i be ok? I have no problems with the weather, accommodations, or work schedules, so i think this might be one of the few areas i would have a problem.

Thank you much for any input you may have.
    Justin

Been There

Justin,

Size should not be a factor in your hiring. The critical thing is passing the physical. Over the years I have seen some pretty big guys in the program and the folks in Christchurch have always been able to come up with ECW issue. Might not be new stuff but they will find you something.

BT

tehashi

Very cool. I am in pretty good shape, no recent medical problems, so i think i will be fine on the physical. Just what does it entail? or i should say are there any particular flags i need to look for?

Also, has anyone had experience with Nana Services? I see lots of comments about RSPC, but none about Nana, so i am not sure what to expect. I admit that my limited contact with them has been pretty positive so far, so I am hopeful.

Neutron

Justin,
    As you have probably found out in your research, getting hired is a highly competive process for us new guys. As another poster noted, everybody on the ice is a renaissance person of sorts. Practically all skiers, hikers, scuba divers, pilots, sailors, in some combination or another. That said, I also understand that there are some jobs that are easier to get than others assuming you possess the required skill set. If memory serves, the medical jobs are among those that have a more favorable applicant to hiree ratio. Don’t know the direction your applications went, but patience will be critical in the process. I, for one amongst many, am still optimistically waiting.
    It has been duly noted that there are folks with masters degrees & Ph.D.’s that are (or have in the past) driven a shuttle or worked in the galley, just to get a season under their belt. In short, It seems to be all about ‘gett’in there’, then making the best of it until you can apply to a position you are more suited to in subsequent seasons.
    Again, like you, I’ve not been to the ice yet, but everything I’ve read, subtly or not, suggests patience, dedication and a liberal dose of humility and professional reserve if you find yourself lucky enough to get to the ice.
    Now, about that XXXL thing…It sounds as if we share similar aerodynamic profiles. As for me, my frustration is in trying to find a 54XXTall suit jacket off the rack that doesn’t automatically come with a 54 waist that requires me to basically cut them up like sail cloth and rebuid them, in order to fit properly. We all have our crosses to bear…but if I get a call to Christchurch, if need be I’ll show up with my own to not risk losing out on the opportunity of a lifetime.
    You’ve found a great mix of newguys and veterans here, who have been very generous in sharing insights and experiences. Good luck in your waiting to be reviewed by HR, and continue to read all you can. It’s all good, and some of the threads just plain make you laugh out loud.
    Bill

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t say they are all renaissance people. There are certainly a lot, but there are equally just everyday folks as well. As Been There pointed out there really isn’t an age limit, so you get a very wide mix of people. It could maybe be said that a lot of new people come in and become “renaissance” as they get used to traveling the world after leaving the ice each year.
    As to the physical. the initial one is a very comprehensive physcial with your doctor. Nothing really different than what you would get normally. There is an extensive set of blood tests that are done and sometimes if you are older, EKGs or stress tests. The results get sent to the program doctors who evaluate everything. They will either pass you on the first try, or if something isn’t withing limits, they may ask for more to be done. More could be as simple as retaking a blood test or as much as multithousand dollar heart tests or catscans.

spidey
    Participant

Yay!
    I finally heard something back from the bottomless pit I dropped my resume in.
    Got an email with a reply to address of usap.gov stating that they would like to consider me further.
    So anyone know exactly what that means other than you made the first cut? Are you now potentially in a smaller pool of only 20 or so?

Neutron

YAY! indeed.
    Good luck and keep us posted
    B.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I would say the pool has shrunk. Good luck

spidey
    Participant

So I finished up the HireRight app over the weekend. That was an annoying project: please retype your resume for us. The fact that I have prior miltary services forced me to fill out two pages of non-applicable questions as I never had anything to do with requisitioning.
    However as a resuly of getting to this point, there is now a name with a usap email associated with my application. I took the liberty of sending an email to them to let them know I had completed the online form and that since they had askd for two references, here was that contact info in case they would also like to speak with them and how I knew them. Odd that they didn’t ask for your relationship to your references online.
    Anybody try this before or am I just likely to be branded as pesky?

-Pete

PS I’m still hoping for a good IT daily routine blog/summary to help prep for the interview….(hint hint)

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Did you follow the IT thread that moloch put up?

If you are at the hirerite stage, you are pretty far along the process. Your odds just jumped a bit.
    M

spidey
    Participant

Went through that thread. Gave me an idea of some of the makeup down there. Just don’t see where Macs fit in other than for a few scientists.
    Guess what I’m really trying to get a handle on is what a day looks like.
    I’ve read so much about the components that are shared by everyone-dealing with layers, social scene, keeping in touch with home……
    I got a good idea of what a supply guy or a GA does, but I haven’t got a feel for what an IT guy does.
    Some days is it projects? Migrating a system from one box to another, setting a new one up?
    Getting calls from beakers that their laptop is crashing or whatever and having to fix it?
    Running cat 5 cable? Managing active directory users and groups/resetting passwords?
    Setting up file shares?
    Its one thing to read the list of required skills for the position, but what do you do with them?
    Guess this won’t make much sense to most, but perhaps if it does to someone, they’ll have a few answers.

Thanks again everyone

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Lots of MACs but they are on the science side and they hire a Computer Tech just for the science dept.

Most of the rest. I have no clue. I don’t think you’ll be pulling much in the way of cable. The Telco people do most of the wiring, but they are part of IT as well.

spidey
    Participant

Now it is starting to make sense.
    The computer tech sr -mac position is for the beakers.
    I’ve read a lot about the separation of church and state so to speak between the science staff and the support staff, but how big a deal is it really?
    Oh, and my email didn’t seem to backfire. I got a pleasant though short reply. They did open themselves up for trouble by closing with “let me know if you have any questions”
    Oooh thats a doozy.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

A friend from IT is just signing on. He may be able to steer you better.

spidey
    Participant

Excited for any input I can get. But that last insite realy opened up some windows or lit a few lamps so to speak.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.