Pole Station Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    equant

I’m in the process of getting through PQ, and I’m an alternate, so who knows if I go or not, but after searching the forums I have a few questions.

Sunglasses… Polarized or non-polarized? Polarization costs quite a bit, so I’d like to skip it. It’s not listed as a requirement in the USAP literature, but I’m curious what people’s opinions/experiences are.

Shoes? I’m expecting that I’d be living in a Jamesway. Not sure what kind or kinds of shoes to bring. If I go, I’d be working as a load planner. Some of the things I’ve read about on this forum is the cold ruining the soles. Does one always wear the ECW boots when outside?

That’s it for now, thanks.

MATKATAMIBA

@equant wrote:

I’m in the process of getting through PQ, and I’m an alternate, so who knows if I go or not, but after searching the forums I have a few questions.

Congratulations, I hope you make it.

Sunglasses… Polarized or non-polarized? Polarization costs quite a bit, so I’d like to skip it. It’s not listed as a requirement in the USAP literature, but I’m curious what people’s opinions/experiences are.

Probably doesn’t matter. You will be given tinted safety glasses and a lot of people wear them – they are stylish and work well. If you have prescription glasses I strongly recommend contacts. Glasses have a tendency to frost up but it isn’t as much of a problem in the summer. If you come for winter do not expect to be able to wear your glasses outside.

Shoes? I’m expecting that I’d be living in a Jamesway. Not sure what kind or kinds of shoes to bring. If I go, I’d be working as a load planner. Some of the things I’ve read about on this forum is the cold ruining the soles. Does one always wear the ECW boots when outside?

Most people wear their ECW boots outside. Some wear their own cold weather boots. Its up to you and it depends a lot on the temperature. Natural rubber soles are the best, as the synthetics can’t take the cold. Try to get some Baffin brand boots at the CDC, I loved mine over the winter. But the Baffins are in limited supply. Most people who spend a lot of time outside get the blue FDX boots and not the white bunny boots. If you are a planner you will probably work inside a lot, so comfortable street shoes to wear there would be a plus.

equant

Thanks Matkatamiba, very helpful.

Next question…

I figured I should buy myself an alarm clock to bring, and that got me to thinking… With shifts happening at all times, how do people in Jamesways wake themselves? Alarm clocks? I guess I’m concerned about waking a jamesway full of sleeping people, but also concerned about not getting up at the right time.

Thanks!

MATKATAMIBA

Being ultra quiet in jamesways is very important since people work three shifts and all kinds of hours. Some people also have trouble sleeping at high altitude, so waking them up is a big deal. I would think you might live a couple days with an alarm clock 🙂

I don’t have any experience with jamesway living, but if you are a heavy sleeper and need an alarm I would suggest getting one with a very quiet alarm and putting it under a blanket or your pillow. iPod/iPhone alarms are also pretty good as they can be set very soft.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

While the phone itself doesn’t work here. I have used the alarm to wake myself. Try setting it to vibrate and going to sleep with it. Works for me as long as it’s in a pocket near my skin, but I’m generally a light sleeper in the mornings.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.