Pole station question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Idan

I’ve read that the ice sheet moves about 33 feet per year at the Pole, carrying the station and everything else with it. I’m curious which way the station is moving. Towards the pole, away from it, or laterally to it?

MightyAtlas

North.

Idan

Thanks!

daneel

Someone wearing a red jacket was recently on “Pawn Stars” trying to sell one of the markers

Idan

In my curiosity and love of research (and total boredom at work) I found a map that shows the layout of the Pole station and indicates Ice Flow. In 2006-7 it looks like the new station was moving laterally to the pole.

I guess I should have put this in the “Antarctic Trivia” thread…

MightyAtlas

If you follow the previous Pole locations, the NEW STATION is moving laterally North.

Don’t use the (used to be) Dome as the primary landmark.

Like I said…North.

Idan

@MightyAtlas wrote:

If you follow the previous Pole locations, the NEW STATION is moving laterally North.

Don’t use the (used to be) Dome as the primary landmark.

Like I said…North.

OK, now I see how you’re looking at it. Thanks!

skua77
    Keymaster

The Dome is a big hole in the ground at the moment. Between the natural activities of Mother Antarctica and a bit of grading there will be no trace of where the dome was by next summer. The icecap and the station are moving slowly in the direction of South Georgia Island in the South Atlantic…you wil remember that Shackleton made a rather famous trip there once.

If you look at the map that Idan mentioned (yes, shamelessly it is from my web site http://www.southpolestation.com/maps/siteplans.html ) you will see that the geographic Pole is about as close to the elevated station as it will get. Quite convenient for the 300 club in the event that global warming allows that to happen in 2010. That event hasn’t happened in the past 3 winters!

During my first winter the geographic pole was almost 1/2 mile away from the station so my 300 club run was only to the ceremonial pole.

Idan

I guess this is pretty much the reason behind assigning “grid” directions. If you’re anywhere NEAR the Pole, whatever direction you go, you will eventually go North if you go far enough.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.