Polar Contract Finalists

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    MATKATAMIBA

I just received an email from my RPSC Denver management that the consortium Transpolar was NOT chosen by NSF as one of the contract finalists. NSF’s wording was that Transpolar was “determined to be outside the competitive range” for the final round of the Antarctic Support Contract. EG&G and CSC were also eliminated in the first cut.

Although officially unconfirmed, the finalists appear to be:

CH2MHILL
    Lockheed-Martin
    KBR

spidey
    Participant

Not that I am likely to know more than anyone, but saw that it was funny that the Engineering News Record was reporting yesterday that any of the contenders would love to hear anything regarding the contract.
    It does sound as though CH2MHILL, Lockheed-Martin, and KBR are the most likely from what has been posted here. I sent out a few inquires to a couple people, but likely the people here in the program will hear anything before I would.
    I would potentially have more strings to pull next year if it was Lockeed-Martin, but I don’t know how far calling my personal trainer’s nephew in logistics would help.
    Keep us updated if you hear anything so I’ll know if I need to exercise more.

Chance_25

As I currently work for KBR, my advice is to hope and pray they don’t get the contract. I’ve always told myself after I leave Iraq I will never work for KBR again. I know that KBR getting the contract would greatly increase my chances of getting down to the ice, but at what cost. I’ve seen how KBR runs it’s contract first on the LOGCAP III contract and now on the LOGCAP IV contract. It’s a mess to say the least.

I’ve heard a lot of go things about CH2MHILL, but I must admit I don’t know much about them Right now it’s anyone guess. I chalk all this up to rumors. I just hope the NSF releases who is getting the contract soon.

Iceman

@Chance_25 wrote:

I’ve seen how KBR runs it’s contract first on the LOGCAP III contract and now on the LOGCAP IV contract. It’s a mess to say the least.

I don’t think that makes much of a difference, considering how the last 10 years of the Antarctic contract has been run!

FoCoTechie

I’ve also heard many good things about CH2M and I know someone who is working for them in a remote location and they seem to run a good program. One other thing that I like is they are based in Denver so I bet some of the more permanent employees of the USAP that work in Centennial and have a home base setup there would like that…

spidey
    Participant

Ate my post. Looked like something exceeded too many connections.
    Anyway, I was talking to the people I have met in Denver and they are now waiting to see if another extension is granted to Raytheon due to the late announcement of the short list. Don’t know what the chances of that are, but it seems to be the current scuttlebutt. It also seems everyone is rooting against KBR.

Mradyfist

Reading through the “Controversies” section of the KBR article on Wikipedia is pretty shocking; I don’t think I’d want to work for a company that’s managed to electrocute people in showers, get their employees sexually assaulted, and kidnap people to force them to work in Iraq. I’m sure I’m not the only one too, there were plenty of people who were unhappy working for Raytheon because it’s a defense contractor. KBR seems much worse.

AGE Dave

CH2M HILL has POLAR contracts with NSF in Alaska, Greenland, Canada, Russia, Arctic Ocean:

http://www.polar.ch2m.com/HomePageTemplate.aspx?P=AD7E9F19732E40BD8E95B68D3D1743EE

These guys have worked with the NY ANG 109th and are familiar with the needs of these unique aircraft and how they are used…….OK, I’m partial to the aircraft…….

Looks like a leg up on KBR and others….CH2M HILL has a proven track record with NSF……….keep fingers crossed!

David

AGE Dave

Actually it would be beneficial to NSF to have a work force from the same company in both hemispheres and be able to rotate and keep them working both austral and northern seasons….one could almost hope to be a full time employee….just moving from “pole to pole”, as the work is required in each hemisphere and the skilled “seasonal” workers are transferred from south to north and south again….just wishfull thinking?

David

FoCoTechie

I only know (a very little) of the workings of the program in Alaska, but I do know of some OAE’s that are there now. The jobs do seem to be more of a full-time position, with 2-3 weeks on and 2-3 off year-round.

That’s a good point though Dave, IMHO I can completely see how that could benefit both the company and contract workers if the situation was right.

I am also crossing my fingers for CH2M.

AGE Dave

I’m not too good at guessing how anal NSF is about putting all their eggs in one basket….both hemispheres……same company for all (most big) projects…..if I were them, I’d be looking at the overall effects from the past performance over the years of this company….CAN they PERFORM?….looks like they can…and possibly with fewer hassles and problems than previous contractors…..we’ll see?

It is all a big BIDDING BALLET…….are my moves right?….am I getting all the nuanceses? ….Obviously, some companies have been cut from the process….Lack of nuance?

The dance started a long time ago……..They shoot horses, Don’t they?

David

Iceman

When CH2MHill was bidding two years ago, many people in the program (full timers) didn’t think they would be chosen due to the fact they have the Arctic contract and I may be wrong but I don’t think any company has ever had both contracts at the same time. Who knows maybe this will be the first. It’s funny since CH2MHill Polar is located not too far from RPSC HQs. I’m thinking Lockheed is going to get it.

daneel

I’d checked into CH2MHILL Polar Services a couple months ago. I hope I’m wrong, but it seemed like most of their arctic operations were centered around field camps for science research. I found nothing that would allude to a camp size or base such as Pole or McMurdo. Perhaps more like Palmer, I can’t be sure. But, there were plans in the works for a new base, I can’t recall the location, perhaps Greenland. They’re also partnered with Polar Field Services based in Denver.

On the other hand CH2MHILL has its fingers in the oil company pies also. I recently applied for a position in Prudhoe Bay, AK with them. THere were no specifics, but am hoping it’s like the other fellow said, 3 on, 3 off. Unfortunately, round trip airfare is about 500 dollaro for me. There’s also talk of a natural gas pipeline in the perhaps near future. I found a good informational web site about working in Alaska on the north slope. It has some good links.

http://www.alaskapipelinejobinfo.com/

thepooles98
    Keymaster

When Raytheon got the contract they also had the base at Qwajalien. They were hoping to rotate us back and forth between the the two contracts. It didn’t work, they lost the contract the same year they won the polar contract.

Wanderer

As another veteran of the Ice who has also worked for KBR in Iraq, I have to say please please please don’t let it be KBR. The difference in cultures are staggering and an Antarctic contract with the typical KBR LOGCAP management would be a disaster in my opinion. I have heard from several people in KBR over the last eight months or so that they already have the Antarctic contract but rumors are cheap in Iraq. I am keeping my fingers crossed for Lockheed or CH2MHill.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.