Personal Letters Found


  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1269
    Koldfyre
    Member

    Hello. I hope I’m in the right place for this. Recently I purchased an atlas from an antique book store here in Pasadena California. When I got home and thumbed through it, two letters fell out. They are dated Thursday Oct. 17th 1957 and Sunday Oct. 20th 1957 Mc Murdo Sound. They are not signed, but are addressed to “My dearest Marilyn”. The content of these letters indicate that the person who wrote them Knew and worked with Adm. Dufek and the U.S. ambassador to New Zealand as well as several other ranking naval officers. Someone named “Marshall” is also mentioned. Here is an excerpt from one of the letters. “This morning I had a chance to go with the first Globemaster over the South Pole this season on an air-drop mission, but the IGY man advised me not to go since there might be a flight to LA. So instead, Bill Hartigan, the photographer who filmed 11 Against The Ice, and I walked over to the nearby New Zealand base to see their operation. We got back at 1:30 this afternoon and I discovered that a plane had already left for LA so I missed it anyway. Now I’m scheduled on a flight tomorrow at 4pm. The IGY rep. was miffed that I missed the plane but I was glad I did. Gave me a chance to see the area and visit the N.Z. scientist. I’m getting a little fed up with the IGY representatives anyway. Their nothing but administrators who shuffel papers around all day and try to move the scientific personnel around like chess men on a board.” Here is another excerpt from the other letter. “Dearest- I just have ten minutes before the sled picks me up and takes me down to the air strip on the ice where I will get on the plane for Little America. I should be there in about 4 hours. I was very excited in being able to talk to you through the ham in Milwaukee the other night.” The letters are long and quite interesting. If anyone knows who wrote them or “even better” is related to this person, please let me know. I would love to get them into their hands. Thanks, John M

    #10482
    Been There
    Member

    You might want to try the Old Antarctic Explorers Association web site. Might get a better response from that group. Very interesting letters….sounds like a media representative.

    BT

    #10483
    thepooles98
    Keymaster

    I agree. The time frame of the letters would coincide better with the OAE group. They are a group of the old military Deep Freeze missions to Antarctica. My guess by the letters is that the person in question has probably passed on or is very old at this point. If you can’t reach them let me know and I’ll try to dig up an email of somebody who might know for you.

    #10484
    Koldfyre
    Member

    @Been There wrote:

    You might want to try the Old Antarctic Explorers Association web site. Might get a better response from that group. Very interesting letters….sounds like a media representative.

    BT

    Thanks for your help. I will try that site. I think you may be right about the person being with the media. At one point they talk about a half hour TV show. I’ll post what I find here.

    #10485
    Koldfyre
    Member

    @thepooles98 wrote:

    I agree. The time frame of the letters would coincide better with the OAE group. They are a group of the old military Deep Freeze missions to Antarctica. My guess by the letters is that the person in question has probably passed on or is very old at this point. If you can’t reach them let me know and I’ll try to dig up an email of somebody who might know for you.

    Thanks. I’ll do that.

    #10486
    Been There
    Member

    Having dealt with media folks in Antarctica over the years it sure sounds like one to me. In most cases, while they were pleased with the opportunities they had to see things in Antarctica, they always wanted more. Guess that was part of their job.

    The ones that were the most difficult to deal with already had their story written before they got off the plane…..and didn’t care what they saw. More than a few times I wondered why they bothered to even come. Fortunately, they were the exception. 😀

    BT

    #10487
    Koldfyre
    Member

    @Been There wrote:

    Having dealt with media folks in Antarctica over the years it sure sounds like one to me. In most cases, while they were pleased with the opportunities they had to see things in Antarctica, they always wanted more. Guess that was part of their job.

    The ones that were the most difficult to deal with already had their story written before they got off the plane…..and didn’t care what they saw. More than a few times I wondered why they bothered to even come. Fortunately, they were the exception. 😀

    BT

    I can imagine that that was the case with most media people sent there. However I get the impression that this fellow enjoyed his stay there. Here is another small excerpt from one of the letters. ” My dearest Marilyn, I have been busy all day long looking over the immediate area and seeing many of the geographic features I read about in Scott’s Voyage of The Discovery. I went over to his old base and found some of the food he left there along with old boots, penguin skeletons, seal skins, and other items used on the 1911 expedition. These places mean so much more to me now that I have seen them and know their significance. The hardships Scott and his men endured make the present operation look like a Sunday School picnic in comparison.” Sounds to me that he was happy to get the chance to be there.

    #10488
    Koldfyre
    Member

    @Been There wrote:

    You might want to try the Old Antarctic Explorers Association web site. Might get a better response from that group. Very interesting letters….sounds like a media representative.

    BT

    I went to the “Old Antarctic Explorers Association” web site, but could not find a message board or anywhere to ask a question. I think you have to join their association to post on their site. They do seem like the right people to contact though! If you know of a way I can contact them, please let me know. Thanks again.

    #10489
    spidey
    Participant

    You can try using this email to contact the site admin
    upizauf@aol.com

    #10490
    thepooles98
    Keymaster

    Try Billy Ace Baker.
    He has a lot of history of the program posted in various places on the web. I won’t post an email address here without permission, but his name is easy found in google searches. If you get a resolution, I’d be interested in hearing.
    Mike

    #10491
    Koldfyre
    Member

    @thepooles98 wrote:

    Try Billy Ace Baker.
    He has a lot of history of the program posted in various places on the web. I won’t post an email address here without permission, but his name is easy found in google searches. If you get a resolution, I’d be interested in hearing.
    Mike

    Thanks for your help. I found him on Google and got his contact email. I’m going to write him tonight and I will keep you updated on what he tells me. Thanks again, John

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.