pay ??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    will
    Keymaster

how come pay is never discussed on here?  I know DA/ GA’s are the lowest paid..  Not looking for exact pay but maybe a general range of a first year FNG for various starrting positions.  Spent 3 seasons w/VXE6  and even then the pay was hush  any reason why?

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

It is what it is. If you’re after money, this is the wrong career choice.

RPSC’s pay scales are not competitive and have not kept pace with the cost of living. As a result they’re having a hard time hiring good people for some positions, especially trades jobs. I’d suggest a rough rule of thumb of estimating what you’d be paid in, say, Denver for the same job and subtract 20%.

Also, IMO, revealing your own pay only seems to cause bad feelings (either for yourself or someone else). So some of us may be reluctant to discuss it — it doesn’t do any good.

If there’s a particular job you’re applying for perhaps one of us can make an educated guess at the pay range.

MightyAtlas

If you apply for one of the DA/GA jobs, and are given an offer, then’s when you’ll find out how much the pay is.

NANA now handles the DA/Station Services jobs, and their scale may be different than the Raytheon scale.

If you’re looking for a ballpark figure – keep in mind, those jobs are little league…

will
    Keymaster
    • Gotcha,  it is definitely not the money that i would like to return for. catching a military pension. the follow on travel is part of it.  How about this question instead…  how much does the lowest wage earner receive ( a range) it would just be nice to have a feel for a worst case scenario b4 i would resign from my GOOD paying job  ( that is if i even received an offer)  i would rather travel and be broke, .if you get my drift
    SweetJeri1

I think that’s what’s being conveyed here. If you take a GA position you will be broke, but you will get to travel. So if you have lots of bills prolly not a good idea to leave the “good paying job”. 🙂

thepooles98
    Keymaster

The best way to be part of the program is to have all your bills paid off before you come down. That way everything you make goes in the bank. With food, lodging, utilities and clothing paid for, there isn’t a lot to spend money on and whatever you make goes into the bank.

The weekly rate gets decieving as it doesn’t factor in all the things you would normally pay for, but are free here.

I make less per hour than I did 10 years ago in the states. Still I end up with huge bank accounts compared to then.
    M

womanonice

[font=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif:yalbhl6q]Hi,[/font:yalbhl6q]
    [font=Arial:yalbhl6q]Before I went Down South, I paid all my bills and hardly had anything in my bank when I left; but it is true when you get down there, you don’t pay for anything (well, okay, except for when you go to the bar or store).  It’s a great way to save.  So when I got back, I had a little hill of money and had had an adventure to boot.[/font:yalbhl6q]
    [font=Arial:yalbhl6q][/font:yalbhl6q] 
    [font=Arial:yalbhl6q]My question is: not this season, but possibly the next season (if we both get to go that is), my daughter wants to come Down South with me, but she would have the problem of paying her monthly college bill.  We are trying now to figure this one out to see if she can go.  I plan on asking some of the Youngin’s (da’s) what they do, I am sure some of them have the college loans to pay off.  Anyone have any views on this?[/font:yalbhl6q]

will
    Keymaster

Depending on your daughter’s lender, she may be able to get a loan deferral for the length of her contract.  Many lenders have standard policies for doing this.  They usually apply when someone loses a job or is having a hard time meeting payments so the fact that she is making the request in order to take a job may work in her favor. 

She should review her loan documentation and/or the lender’s website to figure out what their policy on deferrals is and then, if at all possible, try to get in touch with an actual person at the lender so that she can explain the situation and have them walk her through the options and any potential impacts (e.g. higher interest rates, etc).

will
    Keymaster

It must be a state secret… as i said, i spent 3 seasons on the ice in the 90;s.  so i have a pretty good ideal what to expect, i am sure it has got a little better since then. They could not pay me enough to be a DA!  I was just looking for a base income of some sort. 300 bucks a week i would really have to think about it.  500 or more it would be a go for sure, don’t want to it for the money but i have to make enough to save some cash.

will
    Keymaster

Shuttle drivers make about
    $440 per week, as of 2007.

m0loch
    Keymaster

specific pay isn’t discussed because it is usually a confidential agreement between employer and employee, and as mentioned discussing it just stirs up feelings of resentment, sometimes misdirected.

I think that DA/GA pay is around 350/week give or take.

Skilled positions…vary widely. I put pencil to paper recently and figured that with base pay and bonuses I am making damn good money, even with the 54 hour work week and I’m not working too hard and I am not taxed mentally in my job (very often). I’d say I’m well compensated. Even in my first season, while I was making less for working on the ice, I was financially in much better shape at the end of the contract than I would have been working for more money for the same period back in the states.

Been_There

As several folks have indicated before, how much you are paid while siginificant,  is not the key factor.  It’s really a life style issue.  If you are in a position to drop what you are doing and go to Antarctica, do not have significant financial obligations at home, like house payments, car payments, storage unit rental, etc, and you don’t plan to spend money in the store and clubs, not much away, your weekly out of pocket living expenses can be as little as $20 a week.  That means the majority of your pay check goes right to the bank.  When you add in completion bonuses you can come home with a pretty good nest egg….if you don’t spend it all traveling on the way home.  And that free ticket is a nice benifit too.

BT 

thepooles98
    Keymaster

DA GA and Janitor all fall in the lower ranges stated above. There are a fair number of jobs in 450 to 550 range. As you might expect everyone that goes down the first time in one of these jobs, learns the new ones and applies the next year for one of the higher paying jobs.

If you have tons of credit cards and payments to make, it will be harder. Many if not most who come down have made it a practice to never have credit balances. Pay with a card as a convenience but pay it off right away. It’s amazing to me how far your money goes once you only buy what you can afford. It’s really the only way all these people can leave the ice and travel the world for months on end and still survive. Once you get home you will get a small unemployment check as well to tide you over until the next contract.

Before going down. Move in with a family member or rent out your house to keep that cost down. Pay off as much as you possibly can and don’t charge anything to credit card balances. Then figure all the expenses like gasoline, food etc that will go away once you leave. Then look at your remaining bills, figure at the lower pay rates stated above, if you kept out 20 dollars a week and banked the rest for 5 or 6 months, would you have a nest egg.

Been_There

Plus don’t go out and buy a bunch of fancy cold weather gear.  The issue gear will keep you warm.  If your job requires special clothing, like satety boots, those are provided, or at least they were.  If you have your own favorite boots, light parka, and the like, you can bring it but DO NOT go shopping for any special clothing you think you will need.  Once you get there, SKUA is free. 

BT

thepooles98
    Keymaster

BT
    The budget cuts are apparently going to hit the clothing issue at least for people not working in the field
    As we were leaving, the folks at the CDC said they were no longer going to supply underwear type items. I think they were talking of items that touch your skin. We might have to buy our own polypro underwear, socks, glove liners and maybe neck gaiters this year.

Basically, a good number of people who worked in town never used the stuff anyway. At clothing issue, nobody wants to wear the used underwear they try to give out.
    Me I wore it all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.