Pay questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    annapalooza

So, I apologize if this is totally rude and none of my business but I’m curious. Always hopeful about getting a position down there and then in my mind secretly planning just how much travel I could afford to do.

Does anyone know how much the lower end of the pay scale is? I read an article on a site somewhere that a DA or dining assistant was earning 6.28 an hour in 2003. If I ever do get a job it would probably be as a DA or a janitor or a GA which I heard is actually the lowest paid, so I was just wondering what the hourly pay is.

Also, is it a ‘on the clock’ kind of pay? or do you show up for your shift which is ’10 hrs’ but may stretch depending on how much work there is?

Is there any type of ballpark for the ‘contract completion bonus’. Again, just idly curious and not trying to offend anyone by bringing up the taboo of “how much do you get paid”. I’d love the opportunity to get on the ice for no pay (i’d appreciate it as long as the heating bill was covered) but I am mildly curious and thought this might be the place to ask.

m0loch
    Keymaster

Pay is by the week.
    My guess is that the lower end of the scale is in the $300 to $350 range. Other people may have a better idea.

1st yr employees can expect 16% completion bonus if they keep their nose clean and show up to work and a max of 20% if they are a superstar.

How much travel you can afford seems to hinge more on your back home expenses than your on ice wages.

Hope this helps a little

MightyAtlas

The last I heard the entry-level stuff was about $377. Keep in mind, this is for a 54-hour workweek. That’s a l m o s t $7/hr.

And yes, you’re eligible for a 16% completion bonus, +/-. It’s typically paid to you 4-6 weeks after the end of your contract.

Been There

And don’t forget cost of room and board is Zero. Your out of pocket weekly expenses are minimal.

BT

andromeda

Since we’re on the subject, may I ask how much a computer tech makes per hour there? 😀

MightyAtlas

Sorry, no – we don’t typically post what specific positions pay. Suffice to say, it’s a bit more than entry-level positions. 😉

andromeda

Yeah I understand – I know you don’t go down there for the money anyway. 😎

thepooles98
    Keymaster

The lowdown is that you work 9 hours a day six days a week for a set amount. Each job is rated at different pay rates. Unskilled labor is at the bottom. That would be the DA galley staff, the GA general assistants and a few other bottom level jobs. There are numerous mid level jobs. Administrative, supply etc. They would be in the 500 dollar range and up. All require some previous experience. Being an Excel and Word expert helps a lot. Lot’s of jobs that require you to drive forklifts or heavy equipment. Also skilled jobs. Pay is based a lot on what you can do. Say electricians. If you are a master, you could get more, and you would be expected to competently do what others would not. Many jobs require you to be licenced. Fire alarm techs, water plant operator, electrician etc. You can stll be hired without, but your job class would be more like a helper or GA and the pay would be at a similar level.

That said, some hints. You get a free airpane ticket home at the end of your stay. Even at the lowest level of pay, people manage to travel the world when the get off the ice. How do they do it? Be frugal. On the ice, everytime you want to buy something, it will mean something might not be able to be done later. Expenses at home can kill you. Rent out your house, while you are gone. Pay off all your debts. If you have no bills, the world is at your fingertips. There are tons of people here who can teach you how to travel on a budget.

As Been There noted. There is one more aspect to the pay, that many applicant overlook. That is the accomodation side. Thing of everything you pay for at home. All the food, driving, entertainment ect. expenses that eat up your weekly income, well, you will have almost none of that on the ice. No rent, no food expenses, no gasoline, no nothing. Since you were paying it at home and now it stays in your pocket, it’s almost like being paid to eat. The saying is that if you want a pay increase, go back for more free food. If you make an effort before coming down to pay off your debt, even at a DA level, you will most likely see your bank account go up faster than it ever had in the past.

I was a janitor this past season. We started at $377, but mid-season we all got raises to $392 a week. First-year bonuses start at 16% and can go to 20% depending on performance evals, as has already been stated. My bonus was around $1200 after taxes. It’s true–the money piles up when you’re on the ice and have no expenses back home; however, I just got back from my post-ice travels and I will say, that money goes fast! 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.