Overwhelmed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    boston_rob

wow, i’ve been going through all these posts for past few hours and I’m totally overwhelmed, I would love to go and have no idea where to start, i’m 24 in Toronto, Canada. Nothing to hold me down and ready to go.. where the heck do I start?

m0loch
    Keymaster

start here: http://www.usap.gov/travelAndDeployment/contentHandler.cfm?id=541

it’s a basic and sanitized overview of what the USAP is all about. It should give you at least some direction to go in. Since you mention that you’re in Toronto, I guess I should throw this in here:

All applicants must be able to provide proof of U.S. or New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency

I am unable to speak intelligently on Canada’s involvement in Antarctica – the only thing that comes to mind is Kenn Borek Air which provides fixed wing support. Perhaps as a Canadian there’s some hope you could get hired on with them.

next, go to the rayjobs site: http://rayjobs.com/index.cfm?NavID=103 and do a search – It appears as though things have been improved a bit there – you can select “Antarctica-Polar Services” as a location to see what job opportunities RPSC has currently available.

OR you can see the NANA services positions listing by going to: http://www.nanaservices.com/jobs.html see the Antarctica section of that page – grab the PDF file that shows the current positions. NANA hires for housing/food services/retail and recreation.

There are some other more minor contractors, so let us know if you have some job skill such as helicopter pilot, weather forecaster or air traffic controller and someone can point you in the right direction.

If you haven’t got any specific job skills (or even if you do but can’t seem to find a way to match them with any Antarctic positions) then the way in for most people is either in a position as Dining Attendant (D.A.), General Assistant (G.A.) or Janitor. DAs and Janitors are hired by NANA, GAs are hired by RPSC.

Well, good luck and don’t hesitate to ask if some of the information provided isn’t clear.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Hi Rob,

What do you do for a living? Or what do you know how to do? Perhaps we can suggest a few positions to apply to.

glenn

boston_rob

I’m a construction project manager and specialize in restaurant design/ build

skua77
    Keymaster

Rob,
    I’m a construction engineer, and my last 2 winters involved working in that capacity. BUT…the new station at Pole has been essentially completed and there isn’t a lot of construction (of the sort you’re into) going on these days. The jobs I had in 2005 and 2008 no longer exist. And unlike the old days when I designed and built a couple of power plant upgrades, the program today is definitely NOT in a design/build mode except perhaps for stuff like the new fuel tanks, since that is the way welded steel tanks are constructed everywhere I’ve been. The major building projects are designed by consultants to the Navy design team, smaller jobs are designed by the RPSC engineering group in Denver.

Other factors like the contract rebidding (and its delay) and the uncertain NSF budget have further put a crimp in significant new construction.

Take a good look at this message board and then have a look at Rayjobs to see what might be available that you’d be interested in.

m0loch
    Keymaster

so the first job that comes to mind is “construction coordinator” but I think that those are filled by full-timers for the summer season and whether there is even somebody filling that role in the winter is a bit sporadic – that’s the job I would recommend you take a look at. Also, there are various project manager jobs that might be a good fit for you.

If you got to that position by working your way up from carpenter or electrician or some other construction trade, and you’d be willing to step back into trade work you shouldn’t have any trouble finding an appropriate job.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Rob, I would say the same thing. For your first year apply for all trades jobs you have experience in. You may find yourself as a foreman if you know what you are doing. Generally we hire electricians, carpenters, metal workers, plumbers, and utility technicians. All range from journeyman to helper. Pay depends on experience.

boston_rob

wow, I’m not necessarily looking to get something that i’m doing now, I have 2 years of plumbing apprenticeship so there are few things I could do, I’m still in wow that I could actually get there, very cool

boston_rob

thanks everyone, all your help is apreciated

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.