Oay rates…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    will
    Keymaster

I’m curious as to just what the Raytheon pay scales are for the IT/Communications slots. Is there any room for negotiation on these rates..??? Going to the job fair in morning and don’t want to say anything stupid about pay…:)

thanks….

will
    Keymaster

I can't remember what the IT guys said they were paid, but I'd be
    surprised if there is any room for negotiation. (Someone please let
    me know if I'm wrong on that!)

Keep in mind that there are many qualified people who'd be happy to
    take any position on the ice, for pretty much whatever pay is offered.
    Even the lowest paying jobs have hundreds of applicants.

Good luck & don't forget to have some fun with it!

Cheers,
    Erica

PrairieDog

My impression has been that they pay what they pay for each job description. My advice would be to just ask at the job fair. Remember that you will not be compensated as well on the ice as you would be as a civilian worker in other remote environments but the pay is not that bad. The people you will talk to are just as human as you and I. Don’t be intimidated by them. The more skilled the job is the better the pay but I believe the pay scales are fairly rigid.
    Good luck and enjoy the job fair. It makes me blush now but I remember the first time I walked into RPSC I was feeling overwhelmed. Now of course they’re just “Denver”….
    Kevin Torphy.

Original Message

To: Antarcticmemories@groups.msn.com
    Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:11 PM
    Subject: Oay rates…

New Message on Antarctic memories

Message 1 in Discussion

I’m curious as to just what the Raytheon pay scales are for the IT/Communications slots.  Is there any room for negotiation on these rates..???  Going to the job fair in morning and don’t want to say anything stupid about pay…:)

thanks….

To stop getting this e-mail, or change how often it arrives, go to your E-mail Settings.
    http://groups.msn.com/Antarcticmemories/_emailsettings.msnw

Need help? If you’ve forgotten your password, please go to Passport Member Services.
    http://groups.msn.com/_passportredir.msnw?ppmprop=help

For other questions or feedback, go to our Contact Us page.
    http://groups.msn.com/contact

If you do not want to receive future e-mail from this MSN group, or if you received this message by mistake, please click the “Remove” link below. On the pre-addressed e-mail message that opens, simply click “Send”. Your e-mail address will be deleted from this group’s mailing list.
    Antarcticmemories-remove@groups.msn.com

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Most overseas jobs are not ideal places to work. Nobody applies so the companies have to pay ridiculoulsly high salaries to attract workers. Not so in the Antarctic Program. There are hundreds of people who will do anything just to be a janitor.
    The payscales tend to be just under what you would be paid in the states.
    What makes it attractive to most down here are the hidden benefits. Food is free. Think of everything you spend at home for food. You won’t be paying that here and it’s more money that stays in your savings account. The old saying is if you want a pay raise eat more.
    Housing is free as well. The smart ones don’t keep an apartment at home and another one here. The one here is free (in the summer you get a roommate so it’s not the same) and it’s more money that stays in your savings.
    No money for electric, fuel, water, insurance, etc etc etc. You make less money per hour than at home, but you end up with far more money in the bank at the end of the season. If you do keep a house back in the states it’s still comparable to if you took a contract job in Florida for example. You would be paying for a house in both places. Here the second is still free.
    The last hidden benefit is travel and medical. The physical is paid for and it’s a pretty extensive one. Even if you get turned down for medical reasons, you may be glad that you got the physical. The program is full of stories of people with very serious conditions who didn’t even know about them until they got turned down.
    Travel is another. They fly you from your home airport to here and at the end of your contract, they drop you in New Zealand with a free airplane ticket home to use whenever you want. New Zealand is one of the best places in the world for Americans to visit. It’s beautiful, the people are nice and there are lots of things to do and see.
    Bottom line when thinking about pay, figure out what you make now. Then figure out how much less you would need if your present company paid your living expenses.
    mike

will
    Keymaster

Just got back from RPS fair…..interesting group of people there….the hiring folks…:)

Talked with the IT folks…..that’s my specialty. Might be something on the land based side….but the ship side seems to have the staff they want. IT has copies of my resume so we’ll see what happens. To best honest I’m not holding my breath…..they need some linux folks and that’s not my area of experience.

I can appreciate your comments on the “other” benefits that don’t have a dollar value attached to them. I wouldn’t mind spending some time in New Zealand….that would just be so hard to take…:)
    I’m in a position where I don’t have to work…..I am more bored at the moment than anything else and thought this might be an interesting opportunity. It so happens that I really am an ex-ceo, 52yrs old, and now have the ability to go do something that interests me….:)

Thanks for the feedback…..who knows….maybe they’ll need a PC tech this year…..:) Plus I can brush up on my Linux skills in the meantime…….:)

Don

MightyAtlas

Hey, Don —

Since we have to reapply for our jobs every season, I’m gonna have to fight you for that PC Tech position.  I fight dirty, too.

🙂

Good luck.

atlas

MN-Sparky

Hey Atlas….if you get hired again this year, how many seasons will that
    make for you? I wish you all the best and someday I will apply for another
    season down there. You should be concerned about me though…..I only do the
    electrical thing.

Rick

MightyAtlas

Hey, Rick —

Currently in my fifth season – first winter.  Lovin’ it so far.  Losing alot of light everyday, but looking forward to the darkness.  Trying to leave at Winfly, and come back for the summer.  Who knows – maybe Kwaj after this…

Later.

a

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Remember Don,
    keep in touch and just because they don’t need anyone now doesn’t mean that there won’t be openings  before october as people drop out or flunk physicals. Were there any other jobs that caught your eye besides the IT jobs. What kind of company were you a CEO at. ?
    mike

will
    Keymaster

The logistics end of things looked interesting…..guess that would be the materials tracking, etc. The communications side also looked interesting but I didn’t have the satellite comm experience they were looking for. Too bad there isn’t an entry level,apprentiship, slot for the comm side…..I think I’d be good at that…:) Got a ham ticket already so I know I can “communicate”…..just have to learn the uplink/downlink and hardware side of the position.

I ran an IT Outsourcing company…..did a lot of desktop refresh, new pc rollouts, some sys admin for enterprise level backup systems, help desk functions. Mostly for the Fortune 100 size companys. Most of the support work got sent overseas in the last couple of years so the company got sold and I wasn’t interested in staying on. Set up my own consulting company but I haven’t been that ambitious in pushing for work….:) Kinda been goofing off actually…:)

don

thepooles98
    Keymaster

You would probably be a shoe in for a logistics and supply job. It is however a lower pay scale than the IT folks. It’s basically inventory control in areas of your expertise. Email me at ***********thepooles98@hotmail.com***********
    (Take out the stars, I put them in so the webrobots can’t pick out my email).
    Let me know who you are talking to in logistics.
    mike

ksmtnbkr

Hey guys, I'll have to check through the job
    descriptions but I think an ex-ceo may be qualified
    for a DA position. There's always a chance.

Scott

will
    Keymaster

LOL….I’ve done worse jobs…..:) Just helped my farmer neighbor clean out a bunch of pig pens last weekend….now that was “fun”….:) Glad we had a couple of front loaders to do it with…..even then I got one stuck in the muck…:)

Let me know what the DA quals are….can I do the job and wear my ear-buds while listening to Santana…:)

thepooles98
    Keymaster

If you can run the front end loader you can probably pick up driving our forklifts easy. They are all hydraulic and more or less work the same. When you were a CEO did you ever go down and help with annual inventories or help in a warehouse, shipping, receiving etc. Did you ever drive a forklift. Thats the kinds of things the logistics people will be looking for. It’s much lower pay I believe, but a good dept to work for. They are known for taking care of their people.

I can’t tell you much of the IT stuff. It’s just like my computer. A box with wires that go in and info comes out. I’ve no idea how it works. However when it doesn’t work, the wonderful IT people show up, throw around some chicken bones, chant, and generaly perform magic. Then they tell me it was working the whole time and that it was operator error.
    MIKE

TzcMcMurdo

Mike,

That’s because it is “User Error” ….

Don,

I’m sure you’d have a blast down here, but some of the “logic” that goes around as far as organization, well, you’ve worked for Fortune 100s, so I’m sure you know what to expect.

Brushing up on your Linux wouldn’t hurt although there is an enormous amount of Windows stuff down here that is being brought up date…having said that, it’s time for me to get back to work.

T.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.