Nick Johnson

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    m0loch
    Keymaster
    m0loch
    Keymaster

Please be advised that PAE Inc. hereby rescinds its August 1, 2012 primary offer letter and September 28, 2012 alternate offer letter to you. It has recently come to our attention that, writing as Nicholas Johnson, you are the author of Big Dead Place. It is our opinion that due to the nature and content of this book, you would not be a suitable candidate for employment under the Antarctic Support Contract.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. PAE regrets any inconvenience this decision has caused, but believes that the decision is in both parties’ best interest.

Regards,

//sm

Stacy Maddox

Vice President, Stability Operations

PAE

spidey
    Participant

Scheiza!
    I hope this is not the case as I just heard he had started writing on BDP again.
    Life is fragile and often sucks. You just have to drink a lot of OJ and optimism everday to keep going.

skua77
    Keymaster

It is true…a friend has confirmed it with the Medical Examiner’s office…

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Sad indeed
    The real sad thing is that he wrote about things that even management did not approve of. Over the years since the book the program became increasingly more business like and sane as the people in charge were slowly forced out by those at the top.

skua77
    Keymaster

Here’s another post about his death, this one is a bit more sensitive… http://www.albedoimages.com/blog/2012/12/06/death-of-antarctic-writer-nicholas-johnson/

spidey
    Participant
    trumpetguy25

I never had the opportunity to meet Nick, but his unflinching opinions of both the USAP and Antarctica (from both his website and his book) are genuine and heartfelt. I read his book, “Big Dead Place,” before heading to the Ice and it was dead-on with its description of some of the unique situations that happen down there and it was obvious he loved the place. For anyone that is applying for 2014-14, READ IT.

-Brandon

thepooles98
    Keymaster

http://www.flintofts.com/

Here is the link to the guest book at the funeral home. Billy Ace Baker signed it and me. Nobody else. i think we should spread the word and get as many as possible. Nicks father wrote me back and thanked me for signing the book. It’s listed under Darrin nicholas Johnson.

The obit inspired me to page through Big Dead Place again. I’m blown away by how well he captured the minute nuances of life on the ice.
    There is the part where did the winter psych eval. On page 74, His eval said he had never experienced severe depression and might not know how to handle it if it happened. It was eerie reading that.

Nick and I were not friends but we knew each other. It’s my opinion that much of what he wrote about was not tolerated by Raytheon by the end of the contract. I’m not sure if BDP had a part in that or not, but it didn’t hurt. As i wrote in the obit, he was one of those rare individuals that touched the world with his writings. The loss is a global one.
    Mike

trumpetguy25

Here, here, Mike!

-Brandon

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Thanks for posting Bill and Brandon.
    I’m having fun re reading the book.

Wanderer

Nick was a good guy and an asset to the community at Pole in 04. I’ll never forget his shenanigans which I know mortified the program but uplifted our spirits during that long winter. Who can forget the drunken clown urinal crawl, with Nick dressed as a clown and carrying a boombox playing inane clown music while a bunch of clowns cavorted through the station? Or making the cover of “Modern Drunkard magazine” with an article called “Soused at the South Pole”. Nick was the sand that creates the pearl in an oyster. I’ll never forget him. RIP Nick.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.