New Cool Antarctica Related Discovery Where I Live

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics New Cool Antarctica Related Discovery Where I Live

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    TheORKINMan
    Participant

So as an Antarctic hopeful this was really cool to me. I graduated from and am currently attending Florida State for a second degree while working for the state government. As a state employee I get to go to school for free. The current degree I’m working on is a CS degree but it’s completely online so I no longer visit the interior of campus at all. It’s been 5-6 years since I’ve been in this area. Anywho all of the STEM degree departments are located near each other with many colocated in buildings. I needed to get a CS Department signature on a document so during my lunch break today I stop by. I’m looking at a map to refamiliarize myself and see a street labeled “Antarctic Way”. That is definitely new and this particular street was not named as such the last time I was on campus so I’m wondering what prompted that. It’s on the way to where I need to go so as I’m walking by my jaw just about hit the floor. The old meteorology lab that I used to walk by every day is now labeled “Antarctic Marine Geology Research Facility”

I now have an NSF associated Antarctic research facility housing tons of cores and other fun stuff here in town. I’ve already fired off an email to the program administrator asking if they need a volunteer CS student with programming and IT skills to assist with any projects they are working on 😀

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Wow, talk about a cool into to the program. You may get down yet and do it as a science person. They often get to go to places we never would get to go. That’s the upside. Downside is way less pay.

TheORKINMan
    Participant

Fingers crossed 🙂 I have an appointment tomorrow at the facility with the facility curator and IT intern to show them some of my work and get a tour of the facility as well as an outline of what they need assistance with 😀

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Well? Did they like you enough to talk to you about going down?

TheORKINMan
    Participant

We did talk about that some. The curator showed me around the facility. I got to see the instruments they use. The chiller where ocean dredge samples are stored and the freezer where drilled cores from the continent are stored. According to her this facility houses all of them for the NSF/USAP and then provides samples to other facilities. Apparently they do not deploy every year and are not expected to deploy for another couple of years. She said she cant guarantee that I could go which I understand considering we just were introduced 😛 The work they have for me at the moment is modernizing their databases and doing some software engineering work to make core images available and searchable for researchers etc…

I figure even though its not deployment it may be a step in the right direction with some Antarctica related work on the resume and perhaps the opportunity to make some connections/get some recommendations for the future.

arkie guide

I think all the effort it takes to get a season are more on the ice is worth it!!! My experience there was season’s 1958 – 59 -60.

Take care
    arkie guide

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.