Message for John H.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    CaseyObr

Hi, this message is for John H., a former Ice-man from the Baltimore area who is now working in Iraq. I am told he checks this discussion board on occasion. John, I’m sure this message is going to seem really strange and out of the blue, but I thought it might be something you would like to know. My name is Casey, and I used to work at a 7-Eleven store on Edmondson Avenue in Catonsville. I am a kind of big guy, I was 19 when you last saw me (21 now) and I wear glasses. I’m not sure if you would even remember me, but we talked many times when you came into the store. I was interested in Antarctica and asked you a lot of questions. I remember you encouraged me to look into applying for a job in Antarctica. I kind of dismissed the idea at the time because I was only a college sophomore and it seemed so far down the road. Now, however, I am a college senior, and will be graduating in May. And, mostly due to your influence, I am going to apply with Raytheon. I know I was just a 7-Eleven clerk, not exactly someone you would necessarily remember or expect to have such an effect on, but I just wanted you to know that those conversations we had over a year ago really did have an effect on me, and if after I apply I do get hired, I’ll be able to credit you with giving me the spark to get there. Or, I guess in another way, if I do succeed in getting shipped off to one of the harshest environments on the planet, I’ll have you to blame. Haha. In any case John, next time you are in C-Ville, whenever that may be, let me know so I can buy you a drink or something as a thank-you. Anyway, I hope everything is going well for you in Iraq, I even remember you mentioning to me that you were planning on going there, last time we talked.

Hope to talk to you again soon!

Casey

CaseyObr

hmm… sorry about all that extra nonsense in there, that must have been added automatically by MSN, I didn’t put any of that extra type stuff in there, obviously. It does make it a little bit hard to read though. Sorry about that if it was something I did.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Stuff happens Casey. If John doesn’t answer I’ll send him an email. For the rest. Casey met one of our fellow winterovers who told him about getting a job in Antarctica. I suggested he post the letter here and see if anyone can help him along the path.
    Mike

will
    Keymaster

Casey,
               Sure I remember you.  Congratulations on your graduation, and good luck with getting the job.  I do check Mike’s group religiously, and know it to be a valuable resource for the applicant, novitiate, and even Icesick veteran who’s still stuck in nasty Iraq. Hey Mike.  I’ve finally sold out, set the hammer aside, and taken a desk job in HSE.  Be well.

John

thepooles98
    Keymaster

John,
    Where is HSE?
    Lorie and I will be in the Columbia area from the 4th to the 12th of Jan. You gonna be around for the holidays?
    Mike

will
    Keymaster

Sorry… Health, Safety, and Environment Dept.  I’m a safety guy, still in Iraq.  Kind of an oxymoron, all things considered.  I’ll be in Europe in Jan.  Sorry I’ll miss you. Happy holidays.

John

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.