Medical question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Elkobill

Hi all,

A question for the OAE’s, have any of you been offered a full year contract with the winter portion contingent on passing additional medical tests prior to winterover?

Seems funny that if the contract is offered for the year yet you are only cleared for 4 months instead of the full year that the options are limited come late January.

Do you know of anyone that has been “NPQed” and sent home in the past?

Any advice or comments appreciated! 

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Everyone who signs a winter contract is in the same boat as you. In fact the winter psych test isn’t even given until the end of December. And it’s required that you pass it in order to stay the winter. Additionally it’s your medical condition at the start of the winter that determines whether you can stay or not. There have been plenty of people who have npq’d at the last minute. Me included my first winter. However it’s not the norm.
    come down, take care of yourself and be healthy. Try not to break any bones or slip and get concussions. Make sure you teeth are taken care of so you don’t have any last minute root canals. If you have a condition and have been flagged for a retest at the end of the summer, Then do what you have to do to keep the blood tests in order.
    good luck
    mike

Elkobill

Thanks Mike,

Did the psych last week, assuming I passed as I have not heard otherwise.

How is your status treated if you don’t pass? Are you given any additional tests or are you on the next plane out?

Teeth are good so no worries in that department.

I’ll get with my doctor here and see if she can find out if the levels on the tests are at a point that will be high/low enough to pass now.

I would hate to only have a four month job and have to try and find another in the middle of the winter here.

Bill

MN-Sparky

Raytheon seems to be doing some very strange stuff with the PQing and
    offering shorter contracts to some so they can cut them from the program if
    they dont like the person. All in all..they do some strange stuff.

Rick

MN-Sparky

Hey Bill, What position are you filling?

Rick

Elkobill

Hi Rick,

Comms tech.

I am seriously rethinking my decision at this point as my doctor ran the tests yesterday that medical is requiring me to take in January and she said even with the current meds I’m on there will be very little change in 3 months and some may even go up due to the climate change.

I guess if you offer a contract for a year it should be all or nothing.

I’m going to wait until tomorrow in case somebody comes on with a reply and tells me I’m making too much out of this!

Cheers,

Bill

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Bill, No one can tell you what to do. You will have to make up your own mind. Most people pass the tests, but if your doctor is telling you that you will be over the limit pretty much no matter what, then ?.
     I would say come down, take the risk, do a  great job and if you npq then come back again next year at winfly. 4 months on 8 months off year after year is hard, but 6 on6 off with unemployment isn’t too bad. You go back to the states for the summer and pick up summer jobs before you return. Just make sure you do good enough here that they are dying to get you back.
    There are a fair number of people that work in the National Park system when they aren’t working here. Sort of the best of both worlds. Take the risk and let your life go where it may.
    mike

MN-Sparky

Hi Bill

Ive been off the net for a few days sorry….

You may wish to do a 6 month or less shot first then take a break before you
    do a year shot down there. A couple people Ive talked to that came in for
    the first time with a full year contract pulled out before the 6 months were
    up. Its quite an environmental change for a person to jump into the pan for
    a full year right away. Every body is different but its worth considering.

Rick

Elkobill

Mike and Rick

I received a call today and am PQ’ed for the whole contract duration. Must be a shortage of us comm guys as it is one of the few positions still listed as open. Can’t be any worse that some of my other contract assignments. At least you can layer up to stay warm, the last one I was on in Uzbekistan was summer temps of 125F+ so this should be an interesting opposite.

Bill 

thepooles98
    Keymaster

good for you. I’m glad you didn’t quit. Just remember that the PQ process is ongoing and you have to stay healthy. Once winter comes there is no way to get you to a hospital without a million dollar rescue flight. They don’t like that so anyone who might have a problem doesn’t spend the winter.
    Get down here, exercise, eat lots of good food and stay healthy.
    mike

MN-Sparky

Congatulations…..enjoy your stay at McTown or Pole and have a safe season.

Rick

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.