McMurdo Web Cam

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Been_There

After many years it’s back  usap.gov/videoClipsAndMaps/mcmwebcam.cfm

BT

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Huh, cool. Is that open water I see in the distance? Hard to tell.

Also trying to figure out where the camera is located. Perhaps T-site or the explosives yard. Anybody know for sure?

g

Thanks BT for sharing that news!

Nice view.
    I don’t think it’s open water… as it never did “open” while I was there. (Not beyond what the Oden crushed.)

Aaah… Home….

thepooles98
    Keymaster

It shouldn’t be open water. Yesterday after weeks and weeks there is no cloud cover over hut point in the Modis Rapidfire photo of the day.
    http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?RossSea/2008086/RossSea.2008086.aqua.250m.jpg

Ross Island is at the bottom of the photo sort of in the middle of the page. You can see the Hut point pennisula pretty good. You can also see the Erebus Ice Tongue. The open water is pretty much in the same place as last year, right at the tongue.
    There is a data base of photos, so you can go back year after year to see the changes.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

I can also see the bottom half of the B15 iceberg is still sitting north of Ross Island.
    When did the Webcam get activated and who is in charge?
    M

Been_There

Mike, 

It’s the web cam that SPAWARS uses for waether forecasting.  NSF is using images off that camera.

BT

will
    Keymaster

According to usap.gov, the webcam is set  at an elevation of 1000′, on Crater Hill, between the “Gap” and Middle Crater.
    Sharon

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.