McMurdo AFRTS History Link 1970/71

Antarctica Forums Forums Antarctic Memories Message Board Discussion topics McMurdo AFRTS History Link 1970/71

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    K7MT

Howdy from Smokey,

I found this link about the history of the ARFTS radio station at McMurdo 1970/71. Nice article with a few pictures from back in time !!!

http://www.radioheritage.net/Story170.asp

Enjoy..

Cheers Bill Erhardt (aka Smokey)

spidey
    Participant

Thanks for the link Bill. What a fun read. Makes you look around and appreciate what you take for granted these days.
    -Spidey

K7MT

Howdy Spidey,

When I was a bit younger, I did a noon time radio show at San Migel Phillipines on AFRTS. ” Typhoon Willy” and started off with the Ventures and a little Walk Don’t Run !!!! That was 1966 – 1968 and only did about 24 1 hour noon time gigs in between Phu Bai, USS Wainwright, and Danang over those two years. Had to fix the transmitter several times to keep the station on the air but it was truly fun….. I actully listened to Adriane Kronour out of Saigon while at Danang and his Good Morning Vietnam show… Just a bit of history like me !!!

Cheers Bill Erhardt (aka Smokey)

K7MT

Correction !!!

Adrian Cronauer. If the VP is such a VIP we should keep the PC on the QT because if the VC make him a MIA we would all end up on KP !!!

I think that is pretty close but it has been 43 years since I heard it….

Cheers Smokey

spidey
    Participant

I did a few shows in college. Did one late night wide open playlist show and a sunday afternoon one of eclectic classical. Even managed to sneak in a bit of ELP on the Sunday show. Didn’t have to deal with the transmitter, but always had fun. WLUR was the call sign up in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Its funny, as I write this I am sitting next to my old co-host who is being gracious enough to put me up while I look for a place to live up here in NJ.
    I would love to do that again.
    -Spidey

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.