Mail for winterover

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kentuckyky

My son is a winterover at McMurdo and I have some important mail that he will need before he leaves the ice in early October. How soon do I need to mail it as I know it will wait in Christ Church for awhile? Thanks

m0loch
    Keymaster

If it’s flat mail i.e. in an envelope it will be prioritized – if you mail it in early August it will reach him on one of the first flights down. If, on the other hand, the mail is in a box/package – well, I don’t feel qualified to answer that…is it a box?

kentuckyky

Thanks for the info what I have to send is an envelope.

Neutron

In addition to what mOloch offers, you can also try going to the link below, and downloading the .pdf for chapter 3. There is detailed information on mailing stuff there as well. Good luck!
    http://www.usap.gov/travelAndDeployment/contentHandler.cfm?id=541

Been There

Another option is to contact the friendly folks at RPSC and ask if someone going down on an early flight could hand carry it for you. Assuming you know which department your son works for you should be able to find someone in Denver that would be willing to hand carry the envolope, assuming it is something important.

BT

thepooles98
    Keymaster

If it’s letter mail and documents another option is to find somebody with a scanner and scan the documents. Send them down as an email attachment and let him print them out now. If they are documents he needs to send back, he can fill them out and either fax right away or send them out as postage on the first Winfly flight.

Thats how we handled most of the important documents.
    Mike

m0loch
    Keymaster

Figured this was as good a place as any to post this tidbit of information:

Before my most recent deployment and in light of the fact that my family has tired of handling my affairs I signed up for a service called Earth Class Mail.

Basically, they provide an address that will receive your mail. When they receive mail on your behalf, they scan the envelope and give you several options of what to do with it. You can simply have it shredded or recycled or they will open it and scan it and/or forward it to another address for you. It has proven to be incredibly handy.

http://www.earthclassmail.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.