Library

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    m0loch
    Keymaster

Is there an online database to see what the library at McMurdo has?

Specifically, I would like to think that I will have time to read up on personal finance type books. I also want to read ‘hazardous duty’ by the late Col. David Hackworth and maybe books on eastern religion.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

I don’t know of a database online, although they do have an electronic catalog on site.

If there’s a specific book you want to read, such as Hackworth’s, it would probably be best to bring it yourself. But in all other respects the library is remarkably well appointed, fairly large, and has a satisfying selection of, well, everything.

Friends and family who haven’t been to the Ice often worry that there won’t be enough to read. The reality is that most people bring good books down and then leave them behind when they go.

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Back in the real world, I read all the time. Nothing like a good book to pass the time. Down here, though , I have a tough time with it. First of all you are working 6 days a week, 10 hours a day. Add breakfast and dinner on top of that, and then a trip to the coffehouse or joining in on one of the numerous events happening each evening. By the time you get home, lay in bed and pick up a book, you are so tired you don’t get past a couple of pages. It takes me months to read what should take a week. I’ve learned to bring a couple of paperbacks to last the trip down and time in Cheech. After that there are always tons of books floating around in Skua piles to read once you’ve arrived. The library is the icing on the top of the cake.
    Mike in Mcmurdo

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Life on the Ice’ is closed to new topics and replies.