late in the game

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Baghdad Jim

I noticed they posted another round of positions recently.  Kind of late in the game to go looking for people to fly out in a month or so.

Sciencetech
    Keymaster

Hi Jim,

Most of those positions are probably for main body (October), not WINFLY (August). And a lot of them may already be filled with returning employees; positions have to be officially posted even if they already have someone in mind. That said, it’s still worth applying because ya’ never know what’s filled, what isn’t, and who’s going to bail out.

glenn

Baghdad Jim

sooo, let me get this right:

winfly  (and here) is the short term changeover crew following sunrise…basically temps.
    mainbody is the summer crew.

actually, its not clear to me–is winfly the temp group or are they also the summer crew?

will
    Keymaster

Winfly stands for Winter Fly In or some such. It is in August after the first sunrise. they pull out some WOs at that point and send down another 150-200 folks to help open the station up before Mainbody starts in Oct and the population hits 1100 or so. A lot of buildings are closed for the smaller winter crew, including work buildings and dorms. They need to be opened up and the season started in preparation for the huge and sudden influx of the Mainbody folks.

Most jobs start in October at Mainbody.

Genevieve

will
    Keymaster

And most Winfly people are not temps, they just start their season earlier. Leave in Feb with the rest of us.

Genevieve

Hey Genevieve,

Have you heard anything about a position for this year?

Tom

thepooles98
    Keymaster

Jim, For the most part almost everyone coming in at winfly will stay on for the summer. The exceptions  are some of the science groups, who come down just for the winfly season and sometimes some very limited projects with short durations.
    These would be things like we purchased a service and the company is sending their own people down to do the work. Winfly is great time period for that because the station is still relatively empty and they can shut down buildings to do work. It gets much harder at mainbody after we have a thousand people here.

Baghdad Jim

I doubt I’ll still be here next April so I’ll likely check out the job fair.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.